AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aiight, i got my new (well, used, but new to me) 4508 up n running on monthly activation (for now) and need some help getting it onto my network...here's my situation:

i have a desktop PC w/ one PCI NIC and a wireless USB NIC in it...i want the desktop to act as a wireless bridge so that my ReplayTV can get onto my network (like the above mentioned desktop does already) and out to the Internet....i can get Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to work (using a hub between the RTV and the PC of course), but the RTV 4508 can't see my other RTV 4516 that's hard-wired to the Linksys WAP/router...follow my problem? can get the 4508 out to the Internet, but can't get it on my network downstairs.

also, the ICS assigns (thru DHCP) an IP addy of 192.168.0.x to the RTV 4508 and my main network is a static 192.168.1.x range...w/ the RTV 4516 having its own static 192.168.1.45 addy.

any suggestions on how i can em to talk to each other? the main reason why i picked up another 45xx unit was so that i can stream shows from one to another (yes, i know it'll only do medium quality). i looked into the Windows XP Pro "bridge connections" option, but couldn't figure out how to use it right....maybe that's my answer, maybe not.

thanks...sturmie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't RTV units only see each other if they are on the same local network? If so, this is your problem. Your computer is not acting as a wireless bridge, but as a router. Behind the computer is one network which is different from your wireless network. Make WinXP ICS use the 192.168.1.x network and then your RTV units will probably be able to talk. Your netmask will probably need to be the same on your ICS network as your linksys network.

Ofcourse a simple solution is to just buy a true wireless bridge and connect it straight to the ehternet port on the 4508 unit.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kcobra
Make WinXP ICS use the 192.168.1.x network and then your RTV units will probably be able to talk
seems simple enough and i tried to do that, but i couldn't find out how...ICS automatically assigns the 192.168.0.1 addy to the PCI NIC and that then assigns a 192.168.0.x addy to the RTV.

Quote:
Ofcourse a simple solution is to just buy a true wireless bridge and connect it straight to the ehternet port on the 4508 unit.
yes, but that wouldn't be any fun :D. actually, the desktop PC i'm using sits right next to my stereo and serves the music from the network to my stereo/TV setup...since i have a PC there already, i didn't wanna drop ~$100 on a true wireless bridge.

sturmie

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i changed my IPs on my network to 192.168.0.x and when i try to enable ICS now, it says that "a device on the LAN already has the IP that ICS uses" - or something like that. from what i saw when ICS was working, it assigns the PCI NIC an IP of 192.168.0.1, which nothing on my network has assigned to it....ideas?

sturmie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Your linksys router's ethernet port on the lan side most likely is using the 192.168.0.1 IP address as the network gateway address.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Your linksys router's ethernet port on the lan side most likely is using the 192.168.0.1 IP address as the network gateway address.
that's what i thought, but i re-assigned it to 192.168.0.10....ur right tho, it is possible that the router is stealing 0.1 as well, but when i ping 192.168.0.1, i get no response....grrrrrr......winblows is really startin to frustrate me :mad:.

sturmie

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
The router may be handing out the 192.168.0.1 address via DHCP to something else on your network (maybe even the other ReplayTV or PC you are trying to use ICS with). Change the range of DHCP addresses it hands out to start at .100. If that doesn't work, disable DHCP on the router completely.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DHCP is disabled....i have everything static on my network.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aiight....i found a few things out...basically, if i leave my network as a 192.168.1.x network and i have the default ICS settings on (ie, PCI NIC gets a 192.168.0.1 addy), then my USB NIC will allow me to ping anything else on the network - including the RTV 4516 downstairs....in this setup, the RTV4508 will get online, but it will not see the other RTV.

if i force the PCI NIC to a 192.168.1.x addy and change the RTV 4508 to the same network, then my USB NIC will not be able to ping anything on the network - except the RTV 4508 b/c it's plugged into the PCI NIC in the same machine. weird thing is, in this setup i can't ping the 192.168.1.1 gateway, but i can get on the Internet.

sturmie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sturmie

Are you using DVArchive at all in this setup? I just got finished reading chapter 5.6 "DVARCHIVE Proxies" of the readme and it can provide a solution for this exact problem. Essentially you would need DVArchive running on a computer on both networks to make the replays see each other, but it will communicate over the two separate networks for you. If you have DvArchive on one computer, the replay on that network will see the other, but not vice versa. Check it our under the file menu select manage proxies. You enter the IP from the replay on the other network and DVarchive will connect to it and "proxie" the information.

Hope it helps

·
Registered
417 Posts
It sounds to me like you don't really want ICS at all. If I were you I'd mess around with WinXP's bridge feature. Go into your network connections listing, select the two networks, right click, and goto bridge connections. I used this on a friend's network not long ago and it worked quite nicely.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gizmotoy...i hear what ur saying, but could describe more on how u set up the WinXP "bridge connections" feature? i played around w/ it last night, but couldn't get any where.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Digitalnoiz....just read that section in DVArchive and it looks like it'll do what i need...problem is, when i fire up DVA on the PC that's connected to my 4508 (IP 192.168.0.46), it can't see my 4516 (IP 192.168.1.45) even though it can ping the 1.45 addy fine.

from what the README says, this feature in DVA is designed for RTVs on 2 different networks....the PC that my 4508 is connected to is on the same network (192.168.1.x) as my 4516 - it's just my 4508 (plus the PCI NIC in the same machine) that is on the 192.168.0.x network....ideas?

sturmie

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sturmie,

Maybe I can help you with the bridge. It's actually very easy to setup. Go to "view network connections" and highlight the two networks (By either dragging a box around them or hold the Ctrl key and click on each network once). Then, right click on either network, and select "Bridge Networks." A window will pop up asking you to wait while the networks are bridged, that can take about a minute. After that, they should be bridged.

I hope that helps,

Brian

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Atariansun...i can DO that...just what TCP/IP settings should i use for the bridge connection AND what TCP/IP settings should i then use for the RTV 4508? say i set up the bridge w/ the following:

IP: 192.168.1.40

SUBNET: 255.255.255.0

GATEWAY: 192.168.1.1 (IP addy of the router)

DNS: 65.24.x.x/65.24.x.x (my ISP's DNS)

....what should the RTV subnet/gateway/dns be? 255.255.255.0/192.168.1.40/65.24.x.x? this is where i'm a bit confused....i think that bridging in XP may be too simple for me....hehe.

sturmie

·
Registered
35 Posts
The RTV subnet/gateway/dns should be 255.255.255.0/192.168.1.1/65.24.x.x, same as the XP machine. And you know it should have it's own 192.168.1.x IP.

--Matt

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thx mmcmains...i'll try it tonite.

sturmie

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sturmie,

Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question. I knew that seemed a little too easy to answer. :) I guess I need to play around with the bridging feature in WinXP a little more. I figured it would be as simple as turning on the bridge, and setting up your 4508 the same as your 4516.

Now, when I get home, I have to try bridging two networks together, just to see if I can do it. See what you've done? :)

Networking is so much fun,

Brian

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.