AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this so the mods can move this to where it is more appropriate. My home wireless networks consists of a PS3 slim, two Windows XP computers using wireless G PCI adapters and my new Windows 7 64 bit pc.

I recently bought a new HP Windows 7 64 bit desktop. I am on my second router and adapter [returned and bought the same hardware twice] and I still cannot get a decent signal on the 5 MHz channel. I can pick up the 2.4 MHz channel ok. I bought the Linksys Wireless-N Simultaneous Dual-Band Router WRT400N and the Dual-Band Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Desktop Card WMP600N thinking the dual band would be great to keep my new PC on the N band and the other devices on the G band. Linksys online chat support has been worthless.

After researching last night, I now see people complaining about using Linksys devices with Windows 7 64 bit.

Does anybody have a wireless N setup that is working with a good signal for the N band using Windows 7 64 bit? What brand and model are you using? I really want to use a N adapter that is installed in my PCI slot since I am out of free USB slots and I now have a hole in the back of my new PC where the PCI adapter goes. I really want to buy the right equipment today when the stores open at 10am to resolve this mess.

Thanks in advance for your help!

· Registered
7,914 Posts
You are going to think this is crazy, but this adapter works great for me (and yes, Win7 64 bit). The router is at one end of the house and the PC is at the other:

Zonet 802.11n USB Adapter http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0321053

This adapter does not work in Ubuntu yet, though.

My router is a Linksys WRT-310n. It doesn't do 5ghz, so this may not apply to you. I have found that the speeds have been plenty fast, even when G devices are also in use, so I haven't worried about 5ghz.

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for answering.

I went ahead and exchanged my adapter for the same model WMP600N and this time exchanged my router for the WRT160N. The WRT160N did have the Windows 7 logo on the box. I guess it is too soon for the dual band routers and Windows 7 64 bit to play nicely. Everything is working fine. When I check the status of my connection using the Windows "wireless network connection status" I average 130 mbps so my new PC is going a whole lot faster than the 54 mbps my old computer [that I gave to my son] is getting with a wireless G adapter.

· Registered
7,914 Posts
That little USB adapter has been really handy. Although I hate working on other people's PCs (I've been working on PCs since DOS 2.1 and the 8088), sometimes I'll end up doing it on a barter. It's really nice to just plug that USB dongle in and get wireless N. I haven't run network cabling back to where I work on PCs yet, and this thing works so well I probably never will. I have a Windows 7 64 bit PC back there (as you've guessed) that I use to stream content from my HTPC with Windows Media Center. The HTPC has 4 tuners in it (one digital, 3 analog), is the only DVR I have, and is connected to the Linksys on wired gigabit. I also stream from the HTPC to my two PS3s, both of which are also wired gigabit. They all work great, believe it or not. HD streams will glitch on the wireless N from time-to-time, but it is bearable for my room I use for a workshop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.