Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I have just a few hours ago bought this amplifier

sorry I can post a link as I am newbie so I have copied and pasted the specs below.

my main >? is >>> how fussy do you have to be when buying speakers >>> is there a need to match the voltage of the speakers to the voltage of your amp.?

+ do I have to buy a Subwoofer >> will it make a big diffrence in sound having it.

as you can see I havent got a clue when it comes to this sort of thing. >> I just hope you can tell me that this AMP is half decent.

The RX-V540RDS has the following main features:

High power 6-channel discrete amplifier configuration (115W x 6 DIN)

Digital ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology)

High Current Amplification for high sound quality

Easy setup and operation

Compatibility with latest movie sound formats including Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, and DTS Neo:6

Powerful 32-bit Yamaha LSI (YSS-938) for CINEMA DSP processing

24 surround programmes (44 variations) with SILENT CINEMA and Night Listening mode

Front panel Video Aux input terminals

Speaker A, B, or A+B Selection

Specifications RX-V540RDS

Audio Section

DIN Standard Power (4 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7% THD)

Main Channels 115W + 115W

Centre Channel 115W +

Rear Channels 115W + 115W

Rear Centre Channel 115 W

Min. RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20–20,000 Hz, 0.06% THD)

Main Channels 70W + 70W

Centre Channel 70W +

Rear Channels 70W + 70W

Rear Centre Channel 70 W

High Dynamic Power, Low-Impedance Drive Capability Yes

Dynamic Power/Channel

8 ohms 90 W

6 ohms 110 W

4 ohms 145 W

2 ohms 180 W

Linear Damping Yes

Damping Factor (8 ohms, 20–20,000 Hz) 100 (speaker A)

Input Sensitivity/Impedance

Phono (MM) 2.5 mV/47 k-ohms

CD 150 mV/47 k-ohms

Frequency Response 10–100,000 Hz +0, -3 dB

Total Harmonic Distortion (20–20,000 Hz)

CD (Main Sp Out) 0.06%

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (CD, 250 mV) 100 dB

Tone Control Characteristics

Bass Boost/Cut ±10 dB 60 Hz

Treble Boost/Cut ±10 dB 20 kHz

Video Section

Video Signal Level 1 Vp-p/75 ohms

S-Video Signal Level Y 1 Vp-p/75 ohms

S-Video Signal Level C 0.286 Vp-p/75 ohms

Component Video Signal Level Y 1 Vp-p/75 ohms

Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr 0.7 Vp-p/75 ohms

Signal-to-Noise Ratio 50 dB

Monitor Out Frequency Response

Composite Signal 5 Hz–10 MHz -3 dB

Component Video Signal 5 Hz–60 MHz -3 dB

Tuner Section

FM 50dB Quieting Sensitivity (1 kHz, 100% Modulation)

Mono 2 µV (17.3 dBf)

Stereo 25 µV (39.2 dBf)

FM Selectivity 400 kHz 70 dB

FM Signal-to-Noise Ratio Mono/Stereo 76 dB/70 dB

FM Frequency Response 20–15,000 Hz +0.5/–2 dB

General

Standby Power Consumption Less than 1 W

Dimensions (W x H x D) 435 x 161 x 390 mm

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I have no idea if this model is from the current UK range, but a quick pricerunner search reports £250. Retail price is £400.

Yamaha av amps are good budget amps, don't connect anything to difficult a load (4 Ohm or speakers with less than 88dB 1/W m sensitivity)

1) I think you're getting confused with wattage. Buy the most powerful amp you can, especially when it comes to Yamaha (no way that Yamaha can output 116W x 6. More like 35W-45W x 6.

Yes a sub will make a big improvement, even those with floorstanders builtin. Buy the best sub you can. What speakers are you going to connect to the Yamaha?

[edit]- Richer sounds have the RX-V550RDS for £300, with a few last to spare. Usually RS sell off previous models, so I would guess the RX-V560RDS will be released soon.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"What speakers are you going to connect to the Yamaha?"

I havent got a clue mate this is why i asked in this forum >> Just bought this yamaha amp off ebay for £146 which includes delivery >> comes with 2 years warranty as well. it not brand new thou, won it threw Auction.

Ok my budjet for some surround sound speakers is £100-£150 >>> can you recomend anything ??

you make the Yamaha I just bought not sound so good > would only ne using it in my new flat which I movie in 2 , next week would only be going in a small-ish living room.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
With that £100-£150 BUDGET I would suggest spending those on Left/Right pair or Left/Right/Centre package, and not a full 5.1 audio system. You won't get anything decent for £150 for 5.1, at best something of pretty dire quality.

A set of Kef Crestas 1 for L/R and Cresta C for centre and should do the job and sound much better. Should be able to pickup second hand for £150 for all three. A couple on ebay ATM.

I've owned a budget Yamaha AV amp in the past. They're good for the money. The amp sections are pretty weedy though (couldn't drive a 4Ohm centre)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for advice mate !!

"A set of Kef Crestas 1 for L/R and Cresta C for centre and should do the job "

any chance of a link mate to this type of speakers you are recomending me to buy. as the 5.1 setts will be to exspensive

just so I can see wot you are recomending to me and read info on them so I no wot 2 search for when buying.

once again thanks for help !

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Bring up ebay and search for "kef cresta" (I can't link to specific auctions) or do a google search. Don't go overboard with bidding, I think the Cresta C retailed for £90, whilst the Cresta one sold for £100. So take that into account of second hand prices.

You could browse here and get a idea what else is available in your price bracket..although if you're buying a pair, make sure you can buy the matching centre at the same time [IMPORTANT]

http://listings.ebay.co.uk/aw/plisti....html?from=R11

Link to Kef..
http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/cr...02/cresta1.htm
http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/cr...02/crestac.htm

Since you're probably buying blind I guess there's not much point in giving you dozens of "possible alternatives" You probably just want a "safe" buy without too much audio charasteric that others prefer.

But there also some B&W on as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
considering upping my budget so I can get a near top of the range set of speakers >>> I dont see the point in spending £150 for a half decent sett when I can spend more and buy a set which might last me life time.

how much more would you think I would need to upp my budget for a surround sett 5.1 ??

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
A decent set of 5.1 speakers are those at £1000-£1500 are as good as any, given your amplification. Again don't spend too much, as the Yamaha amp will be the limiting factor.

A good subwoofer will cost money (at least £500+), that'll obviously bump the overall price up.

"near top of the range" from a certain range will cost several hundred pounds just for a pair of centre, and probably the Yamaha be incapable to drive them.

Personally I would buy a set of £100-£200 speakers for main pair/centre/rears, and perhaps £500-£900 subwoofer (buy a great sub once) then maybe a few years later change the speakers & av amp (or buy a 5 channel poweramp to replace the Yamaha's own amp stages) for better sound.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hard to think looking at them that they would be that good >> read a few reviews and seem awseom.!!

only problem is mate I want something that includes satellite speakers + subwoofer.

have just spent £450 on top of the range dvd player (kiss 558) then £140 on that amplifier.

if I buy those kef speakers I will all so need to buy subwoofer + centre speakers. etc.

if you come across anything thats all in 1 mate let me no >> thanks for answering all my ???s and pointing me in the right direction !

cheers jamie

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You're going at it backwards, dude. The speakers are everything, so you should have started there. £450 on a DVD player and £150 on speakers is a criminal waste of £. I'm with father ted. If you can't spend £450 on speakers, then just buy the front three and save up for the rest.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Fatbottom and DMF.

Other alternatives - entry level Tannoy, Acoustic Energy, Monitor Audio and Wharfedale.

But if you prefer a satellite 5.1 system right now, rather than buying monitors for l/r and a center (and adding rears and sub later), you can get the discontinued Acoustic Energy Aego P5 system on ebay or at your local B&M stores at closeout prices (around $399). The newer version is not as good.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Jamie, I replied some time ago to your PM. Do you ever read your private messages?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Jamie,

I would go far as to say don't worry about the center channel right now and just spend your budget on the front left and right. Stereo is not that bad... You can always add a center, sub and rears when you have the money for it. This way it will be a much better system in the end... Just remember whatever front speakers you buy you will need to get the same brand and series for your center channel... The rears you can use a different brand, but some would not advise it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.