AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, that's right I've spent much of the last year considering what HDTV, AV receiver, DVD/BD player, DVD/HD recorder, and satellite service I'd finally buy, but I haven't given much more than reading C-Net reviews concerning the purchase of a new remote. So I need your expertise, be brutally honest (even as to my choice of other equipment). What equipment I will be using includes:

Samsung LN52B630 HDTV

Denon AVR2310CI Receiver

OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player

Sylvania (Phillips clone) DVD/HD Recorder

DishTV ViP722HD Satellite Receiver/HD Recorder

Panamax M5300-PM Power Conditioner

I don't at present (and probably won't in the future) think that I'll be adding a gaming module to that mix of components, but you never know. The components will be inside a wooden cabinet with grey glass in the doors upon which the TV will be sitting. So, RF shouldn't be necessary, just IR. I'd like to keep the price under, say $200 (which puts the Logitech Harmony One right there on top). But I've been seeing Sony remotes at such low prices... but then I didn't buy anything Sony. I've just started looking into www.RemoteCentral.com so if you have any ideas where to best look there, I'd appreciate it. Eh... help!

Thank you.....

.. .. ..

·
Registered
971 Posts
Harmony One will probably be the best bang for the buck consumer remote. Its one of the easier products to configure also.

Which sony remotes? In the world of remote controls there are 4 invisible classifications. This is by no means a realistic chart.. Just a quick and dirty generalization.

1.Cheapo Universal remote that consolidates multiple remotes only.$50 or less

2.Consumer wizard based configuration that attempts to automated start up.$100-$300

3.PC programmable remotes that can be edited to perfectly automate your system $300-500

4.Higher end PC programmable remotes & touch panels that are typically installed by a professional. $500 and up plus labor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the Sony ones I've seen are in class 1.

And LOL! I guess I have class 3 yearnings on a class 2 diet... but that might mean the Harmony One.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think we all suffer from class 3 yearnings and class 2 diets

The Harmony One is a great consumer remote for two reasons. Wizard programming and the ability to fake discrete commands.

I am a URC fan but the consumer products they offer dont compare to the Harmony One and the professional products are a big ball of red tape. Its possible to navigate the red tape but IMO its not worth it when other, good, options exist.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Great suggestion, but if you are on a budget there is really no need to go all the way up to a Harmony One, (unless you just really like them), the Harmony 670 and 880 accomplish the same things, just without the touch screen.... And they are both cheaper... the 670 is less than $100 now and had done EVERYTHING I have needed it to, and more...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39CentStamp /forum/post/16992154

I am a URC fan but the consumer products they offer dont compare to the Harmony One and the professional products are a big ball of red tape. Its possible to navigate the red tape but IMO its not worth it when other, good, options exist.

I disagree: the URC R50 is both easy to program and easy to use (no PC required). Plus, it costs MUCH less than the Harmony One.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I havent seen the R50 in person yet. I was referring to the RF10,20,30.

The opinion that NO PC = better or easier is not one i share. If the MX-850 has a modern set of hard buttons i would prefer it over any consumer grade remote because of the editor software.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.