AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new here and have been searching away on this site. I have learned a lot from you guys and need yalls help.

I almost have my home entertainment system together in my bedroom. I currently have a JVC TH-C4. Its ok for what it is. But I'm looking to upgrade. The main thing I like about my old system is that the amp for all the speakers where in the Sub. I think this is what gave it the extra bass I loved about this system.

I am looking for a system that has the amp in the sub, Maybe a 8" sub. I want it to have a dvd player but am not interested in upscaling and all that. I am basically looking for a lot of bass. Don't want a large receiver. That's about it. Oh yell, I am not worried if its a couple years old model.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.It is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Perhaps you could mention a price range that you are looking for?

Also, what would you be using the system for? TV? Music? Gaming? Movies?

I'd bet those would go a long way in helping figure out what fits your needs best.

Oh yeah, knowing why you want to upgrade would probably help too...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that. I am willing to spend around $500. I will be using this system for mostly music and gaming with a ps3.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You might want to look at the Logitech Z5500. This is a computer speaker system that many people like. I am currently using this system and they are useful for movies and gaming but not recommended for music. The unit is well under budget and has a small form factor with the sub having the amp built in. There probably is a better solution out there for meeting all your requirements but you can't go wrong checking this system out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Actually just listed my z-5500s on ebay, going to be upgrading to a newer system now that I got my new 46" plasma

They're great for everyday stuff...the subwoofer really shakes the house...no kidding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your rely.But I would like it to have and dvd player. It looks like a really nice system though.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat tone /forum/post/15546882

Oh yell, I am not worried if its a couple years old model.

Put as much as you can into a sub. Go to a thrift shop, craigslist or eBay and get any receiver that has a sub pre-out and digital input and a DVD player that has a digital output and put the rest into a sub. If you want an integrated DVD player, a quick search on craigslist finds a Sony AVD-C70ES receiver/DVD player that has a sub pre-out jack, 2 optical and 1 coaxial input.

This package fits your budget: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance1.html

and a bigger sub is only $50 more: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html

Since you want to listen to music, it's probably best to get bigger speakers and separate sub from HSU , SVS , or eD .

If you're crafty you can make your own sub , buy a kit to assemble , or buy a complete sub from Parts Express to save some money.

Anyway you go, get a nice subwoofer if you like the bass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ickysmits. Your a life saver. I didn't even know the made receiver like the sony. Still trying to find one though.The speaker package is perfect. About to order the $500 set now. Thanks sooooo much. Any other opinon guys??

·
Banned
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat tone /forum/post/15546882

Hello everyone. I'm new here and have been searching away on this site. I have learned a lot from you guys and need yalls help.

I almost have my home entertainment system together in my bedroom. I currently have a JVC TH-C4. Its ok for what it is. But I'm looking to upgrade. The main thing I like about my old system is that the amp for all the speakers where in the Sub. I think this is what gave it the extra bass I loved about this system.

I am looking for a system that has the amp in the sub, Maybe a 8" sub. I want it to have a dvd player but am not interested in upscaling and all that. I am basically looking for a lot of bass. Don't want a large receiver. That's about it. Oh yell, I am not worried if its a couple years old model.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.It is greatly appreciated.

Hi Fat tone,

You can search for sub by going thru Expo electronics website. you will find no. of items there with better price.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm not sure if you can find a receiver/DVD player like that anymore so you probably have to go the used route. Most of these types of things on the market have some type of proprietary connection to a sub/amp and they're useless without all the pieces, like your JVC. When I did a quick search Yamaha came up and so did a Boston Acoustics Avidea 610 (sold for $99 new last year).

But why do you need a receiver with an integrated DVD player? DVD players break easily because of the moving parts and then you're stuck and have to get it repaired. It wouldn't be difficult to find a separate receiver for your requirement and DVD players with a digital output are cheap - if it breaks you throw it away and buy another one for $25.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all advice you guys. I think i am going to give up trying to find the receiver.Im just going to keep my current htib.I do like the sub under the bed, lol.UNLESS you guys know one they currently make like mines(basic htib, dont have to have the amp in tha sub) thats worth a darn?Whats the best one for sound quality? I know they all suck.I just want something better than what i got.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts