AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am down to two plasma's for an on wall installation. We will be watching from a distance of 13 to 14 feet in a large bright room.

1. Pioneer elite 1130

2. Yamaha PDM 55-20 (for comparison purposed consider it the Fujitsu 55)

I am going to spend some time next week test driving the Yamaha and my HT guy that I am using loves this model. I am really interested in the Pioneer. Unfortunantly, no way to see it right now and no real knowledge as to when it will be out (yes I know September but no one knows until it shows).

What it is really coming down to is the size. Will the extra five inches make that much of a difference? My installer actually likes the DVI connection better on the Yamaha set rather then the umibilical coming with the Elite. He doesnt particularly care for the media box.

What would you pick? Help...........................

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
The 55" Fujitsu is a good display, but as far as I've heard, it falls a bit short of the 50" Fujitsu in terms of PQ, at least in terms of contrast/black level. So I guess the question is: What is more important for you? 5" more? Or better black level? The 1130 is said to have black levels even better than the Panasonics and 50" Fujitsu. So the 1130 might be a real killer. But of course we don't know for sure yet. If the 5" are not so important for you, you could also go with the 50" Fujitsu, which several people on this forum consider being the best PQ plasma you can buy today (at least at 37-55").

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Ask your dealer which company gives him the best support. Dealers that have been doing this for awhile know that this is very important to them. If problems arise they can take care of you and make you happy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallcane
I am down to two plasma's for an on wall installation. We will be watching from a distance of 13 to 14 feet in a large bright room.

1. Pioneer elite 1130

2. Yamaha PDM 55-20 (for comparison purposed consider it the Fujitsu 55)

I am going to spend some time next week test driving the Yamaha and my HT guy that I am using loves this model. I am really interested in the Pioneer. Unfortunantly, no way to see it right now and no real knowledge as to when it will be out (yes I know September but no one knows until it shows).

What it is really coming down to is the size. Will the extra five inches make that much of a difference? My installer actually likes the DVI connection better on the Yamaha set rather then the umibilical coming with the Elite. He doesnt particularly care for the media box.

What would you pick? Help...........................
I spent much time making a similar decision recently and I went with the 55" Fujitsu - it's internal processor can't be beat (equates to fluid motion with much less artifacts than it's competitors). I briefly had a Sony 50" and this thing blows it away. However, it's true the blacks aren't as good as the 50" Fujitsu but this is only apparent in a dark room (the blacks are still better than most other manufacturers models except for any of the Panasonics). From a distance of 13' - 14' IMHO you'll probably be better off with at least a 55" perhaps or even a 61" Pioneer...

If you're a true videophile the black issue may bother you at times but, I work in film/tv and have a pretty good eye - the 55" is outstanding even with occasionally having to adjust for better contrast. The extra 5" makes up for less contrast - much more cinematic experience - really. p.s. if you bargain hard with Magnolia you can get an unbeatable deal on it right now too and there is $1,500 rebate offer on it now also - resulting in almost 1/2 off of MSRP...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.