AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been searching for a month for a budget (less than 500$) surround sound system for my home theater room.

I have a BenQ W1070 projector, here is the back of the projector showing the different connections : http://3dvision-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/benq-w1070-3d-dlp-projector-2.jpg

Here is my dream scenario :

1. All of this will be connected to it :
  • I want my computer (would like HDMI port)
  • Cable 720p TV (Component port RGB)
  • PS3 (HDMI port)
  • And a surround sound system (Audio out ?, but I heard it will only do stereo sound since it's mini-jack 3.5mm...)

2. My computer will be like 10 feet away from the projector. I want to be able to play games on my projector (I have wireless mouse and keyboard) and have the sound come out of my surround system.

3. If I can't use audio out for a surround sound, I will have to use an HDMI, then VGA for my computer. But I don't think I'll get the sound of my computer out of my surround speakers if I use VGA ??

Any way to make this real ?

Thanks a lot !

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I have some bad news for you. What you really want is a receiver, and a good receiver is going to eat up a big chunk of your meager budget. Still, it isn't impossible to get good sound, if you are willing to settle for two channel instead of 5.1 for the moment, and build up as funds allow. The receiver ties everything together and will output the video to your projector. You definitely don't want your projector dealing with audio. The receiver also powers the speakers.

Here is a budget friendly receiver: Denon AVR-791 : $250 shipped

Here is a affordable pair of new speakers that will have some bass: Pioneer SP-FS52 : $255 shipped

That is $5 over your budget, but will sound very good.

You can get complete 5.1 systems for $500, but none of them sound good. We call them HTiBs around here (Home Theater in a Box). They all have awful little speakers and muddy subwoofers and crappy receivers. Better to start with a good 2.0 and build up from there by adding the center speaker, subwoofer, and surround speakers down the road.

Remember to order the HDMI and speaker cable from monoprice. Places like Bestbuy and Radio Shack overcharge on cables massively, and you really can't afford to waste any money on a $500 budget.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1468903/need-your-help-to-build-my-dream-home-theater-setup#post_23220469

I have some bad news for you. What you really want is a receiver, and a good receiver is going to eat up a big chunk of your meager budget. Still, it isn't impossible to get good sound, if you are willing to settle for two channel instead of 5.1 for the moment, and build up as funds allow. The receiver ties everything together and will output the video to your projector. You definitely don't want your projector dealing with audio. The receiver also powers the speakers.

Here is a budget friendly receiver: Denon AVR-791 : $250 shipped

Here is a affordable pair of new speakers that will have some bass: Pioneer SP-FS52 : $255 shipped

That is $5 over your budget, but will sound very good.

You can get complete 5.1 systems for $500, but none of them sound good. We call them HTiBs around here (Home Theater in a Box). They all have awful little speakers and muddy subwoofers and crappy receivers. Better to start with a good 2.0 and build up from there by adding the center speaker, subwoofer, and surround speakers down the road.

Remember to order the HDMI and speaker cable from monoprice. Places like Bestbuy and Radio Shack overcharge on cables massively, and you really can't afford to waste any money on a $500 budget.

Ok Thanks a lot !

But how do I connect the whole thing ?

Like I said in my first post but with an HDMI from the projector to the receiver ?

Or everything to the receiver then an HDMI cable to the projector ?

And finally what about this ? :p http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
You will want to plug the computer and PS3 into the receiver's HDMI inputs, and plug the cable TV into the receiver's component input. You will want to plug the receiver into the projector with a HDMI cable going from the receiver's HDMI out into the projector's HDMI in. Measure the amount of speaker cable you will need and order that length from monoprice.com; remember to give all the cable lengths some slack. You can also go to Home Depot and pick up a roll of speaker cable. I would get 14 AWG cable. You might pick up a 50 ft roll of it so you have some when you add additional speakers. The receiver is the heart of the system, it ties everything together. It's all very simple, and the receiver's manual will explain everything. You can also just google "how to hook up a surround sound system", you will get a bunch of useful hits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts