AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a proud owner of Pioneer PDP5080 since January 2008. This TV is in my living room and I use it with DirecTV HD Service. I love this TV.

In my bedroom I have a 13 year old 27 inch TV. I have been planning buy another Plasma TV so I can get rid of the old small TV. After reading these forums I was convinced that Pioneer 5020 was the way to go. I also liked the reviews of Panasonic 800U model but I felt that its price was too close to 5020 and I would rather pay a few hundred dollars more and get the Kuro.

I was thinking about buying a Pioneer 5020 for the living room and moving the 5080 to the bedroom.

I recently changed jobs and I receive employee discount from Panasonic. As a result of this Panasonic 800u is nearly $900 less than a Pioneer 5020. With the current economy I have come up with a third option and I was wondering what you would do if you were in my place.

1. Buy the Pioneer 5020 for living room and move 5080 to he bedroom

2. Buy Panasonic 800u for living room and move 5080 to bedroom

3. Buy Panosonic 80z (720p) for the bedroom(10-12 feet viewing distance) and leave 5080 in living room

I can afford all these option but I am trying to choose the most practical option.

Thanks

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses guys. In my living room I have a built in media cabinet and it only allows a 50 Inch TV so I did not even consider 58 or 60 Inch TVs.

· Registered
147 Posts
IMO, your 5080 has better blacks, colors and PQ than an 800u, even with 1080p. 50" 1080p is of no benefit at 10-12 feet, so the bedroom is a good place for your 5080. I understand you can save same major bucks on the 800u, but you know how good your kuro looks, and the 800u, as nice as it is, most likely won't look as good to you. How likely might it be that every time you watch the 800u, you will know that you you took a bit of a step down and there is better picture available to you in the other room? If I can afford it, I would choose the 5020.

· Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme /forum/post/15412824

Thanks for your responses guys. In my living room I have a built in media cabinet and it only allows a 50 Inch TV so I did not even consider 58 or 60 Inch TVs.

Have you been in-touch with "Roman O?"

He has a Power Buy in effect for the PRO-111FD.

· Registered
2,606 Posts
If you really need a bedroom tv now I would buy the 50" Panny PX80 (720P)for the bedroom especially if it's for "Casual Viewing" & then next year I would buy a new Pioneer with the new Panny Neo Panel in it for the living room & then move the 5080 in the bedroom & then put the PX80 in another room or sell it.

But what I would really do is hold of until the new Pioneer's are out but I have seen the 50" PX80 for under $800 so it may be a no-brainer for the bedroom as a Carry-Me-Over TV until the new Pioneer's are out.

Got my daughter a 50" PX80 for her livingroom for "Casual Viewing" when friends & etc are over (Most of the time she uses her bedroom 1080p Panny) with the idea that I din't want to spend a lot of money on a tv this year because I will be buying her the new Panny Neo Panel next year for her living room.

· Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/15413121

If you really need a bedroom tv now I would buy the 50" Panny PX80 (720P)for the bedroom especially if it's for "Casual Viewing" & then next year I would buy a new Pioneer with the new Panny Neo Panel in it for the living room & then move the 5080 in the bedroom & then put the PX80 in another room or sell it.

But what I would really do is hold of until the new Pioneer's are out but I have seen the 50" PX80 for under $800 so it may be a no-brainer for the bedroom as a Carry-Me-Over TV until the new Pioneer's are out.

Got my daughter a 50" PX80 for her livingroom for "Casual Viewing" when friends & etc are over (Most of the time she uses her bedroom 1080p Panny) with the idea that I din't want to spend a lot of money on a tv this year because I will be buying her the new Panny Neo Panel next year for her living room.

Do you need a new Son.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.