AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through various forums and found that the Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas are highly regarded.

I will be buying a 50" screen in a week and I have 3 choices:

Panasonic TH50PX600

Pioneer PDP-5070HD

Samsung HP-S5073

Samsung is cosmetically appealing and I would not mind having one of those.

Usage is mainly for regular cable-tv viewing and watching movies. I have already bought a tv for gaming.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

***Budget $3500

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I would probably lean to the Panasonic among those three choices, if you're talking best value for the money. Panasonic was my runner-up choice, I highly recommend the Philips 9631 if you want additional choices.

But you can't go wrong with the Panny.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nit0r /forum/post/0

I was reading through various forums and found that the Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas are highly regarded.

Panasonic TH50PX600

Pioneer PDP-5070HD

Samsung HP-S5073

Usage is mainly for regular cable-tv viewing and watching movies. I have already bought a tv for gaming.

***Budget $3500

All 3 are excellent choices. I personally thought that the pioneer had the best SD picture (regular cable and movies), but I don't think you will go much wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:

thanks why2not and PhilipsPhanatic, I will go out tonight to have a look at the big-box stores.

Make sure to price shop at our forum sponsors first. Some times the big box stores will be willing to hack down the price some to come closer to online retailers. Whatever you do, don't pay BB's MSRP of 3500 for the 5071HD...you can save ~20-25% by shopping online, (if they refuse to match them that is).

·
Banned
2,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufusyte /forum/post/0

At $3500 you could also consider a Pioneer Elite, or a NEC 50". The NEC would be just a monitor, so you would need to buy the speakers additionally, or route the audio to your separate sound system (receiver).

If you decide to buy the Elite make sure you buy from a local store since that is the only valid way Pioneer allows to sell them and you should definitely look at the 5070 (or 5071) to compare to Elite and see if it is worth the extra $.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My Thoughts:

Panasonic TH50PX600; great picture, great blacks, ok scaler, ugly cabinet

Pioneer PDP-5070HD; great picture, great blacks, very good scaler, good cabinet

Samsung HP-S5073; good picture, good blacks, ok scaler, very nice cabinet

Don't know which I would go with.

I'd also through the Vizio into the mix. Great picture, average scaler, good cabinet

·
Banned
117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner /forum/post/0

The Pioneer will accept 1080p24hz and scale it down to 768p.

dlconner is correct, and the Pioneer pdp-5070hd will support a 1080p signal. In my experience with regards to the aesthetics, performance and manufacturer's support yo will not be disappointed with the Pioneer pdp-5070hd.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:

Panasonic TH50PX600

Pioneer PDP-5070HD

Samsung HP-S5073

***Budget $3500

These are all good displays with their pros and some cons. I believe better still are the NEC 50" displays. You may want to research the NEC threads. NEC has the best processor resulting in the best PQ. Whatever you get, your price range will allow a professional ISF calaibration. This will really allow you to get the most from whatever display you buy. NEC will have more picture adjustments than the rest allowing a finer level of control over calibration.

Cheers,

Gary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.