AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my speakers which I just sold (Mirage Omnisats V2's). I have a very big room and will used them for both music/HT. My budget is $1,500 and have 120w/channel to work with.

I've looked at some commercial options such as Mirage-OMD's, Energy-RC's, Jamo C's and Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, all great options at their price points.

Being that I'm a DIY guy myself (done a couple of subs already, one sealed and one with PR's), I was looking at Madisound and ran into some interesting two-way speaker kits. The SR-71 kit caught my attention, did some research and even though I did not find a lot of info on it, what I found was all positive regarding its quality Seas drivers and very good sound.

The woodworking part of it (cabinets), I have no problem with, I can do those. I'm a little worried regarding the soldering & wiring of the crossovers. The good thing is that the crossovers are already assembled and I could even get the pre-made bafles (no router required). I could get the whole 5.0 set-up for around $1,000 and paint them to match my furniture. Five speakers all the same will probably sound best but I would prefer to have smaller surrounds. Also, I wonder if I could lay one of those speakers on its side for center channel duty or if they would only work standing up.

The Sierra-1, a very highly regarded bookshelve speaker is probably one tough competitor to the SR-71 kit. They are both compact, ported to a similar frequency and both using Seas drivers. Anybody out there listened to both and compared them? Also, the SR-71 speakers are not the most efficient design and will give up the loudness factor to the other commerical tower speaker options I mentioned before. In the mids and treble areas, the SR-71 speakers should better those commercial tower options, right?

As for building them, I like to work with birch ply (did the sub's with it). Will it work fine, specially with some braces added? Will these speakers only work ported? I though about using them sealed for the the surrounds so they could be smaller and ported for the front three. I'm new to speaker building so any feedback/help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The SR 71 kits on the Madisound site are one of Zaph's designs ( http://zaphaudio.com/ ). He is very well respected in several of the various DIY audio forums. If you visit his site he usually documents his builds very well and will explain if they can be used in a sealed enclosure.

While I can't comment on the SR 71 kits, I can comment on one of his other designs (BAMTM). I built them from scratch and have been very pleased with their performance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts