AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Energy costs are high. States are beginning the process of banning the incandescent bulb. Where are the zwave dimmer switches for compact fluorescent bulbs? I can't find 'em.

Some manufacturers state that their dimmers will go as low as 20w. My requirement calls for 6 cfl to be dimmed simultaneously. Am I in a situation where a particular dimmer may not work for 1 cfl bulb, but for 6 it'll work great?

If zwave automation is bleeding edge, me thinks they need to sharpen the knife.

·
Registered
915 Posts
It is not so much a dimmer problem as a CFL problem. Dimmable CFLs are only now beginning to come to market and there aren't enough reports/independent test yet to determine exactly how dimmable these first gen products actually are. It will probably take another 12-18 months to get enough product mass in the marketplace to evaluate their efficiency and dimming characteristics.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I've been using the zWave external lamp modules in situations where aesthetics aren't important (ie, basement, backyard lights). They're on/off only, no dimmer, and they work great. If you have 3 wires to that switch, I believe you could use the newer relay switches with the CFL's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts