AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hola nachin,

is it possible to make a backup using Dilard in evaluation mode? I do have a G11E (European model) and could do it if possible.

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
You got mail.

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Nachin,

Did you just not create a backup file for your G11 before making some changes ?

Or is there some danger we should be aware of ? Did Dilard make a backup file that is somehow corrupt, and then a restore operation corrupts the projector itself ?

If so, maybe Milori can add at least a hashing check to the backup file to verify the file and refuse to use it for a restore. It would be a nice enhancement to include in 2.2

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
It's happened twice now. I still don't know the cause of it, but there is a protection in V. 2.2.

What seems to happen is that the projector understands the query for the AreaData, responds appropriately and Dilard saves the information into the back-up file. Dilard then does a sanity check by verifying that the data in the projector matches the data stored in the file (actually re-reading the file, not storing the values) to verify that they match after the back-up.

When they DO match, the data is considered to be 100% perfectly valid, however, the data in this case contains the equivalent of no information! I can only think that something in the memory doesn't allow it to be read correctly, but that it can be written to just fine :(.

When this correctly formatted, but null AreaData is restored to the projector, the projector again communicates nicely and sees the data as valid and accepts it. That's really the bad part.

A couple of notes on this:
  • There is an easy way to check for the problem. Click Tools | Reports and generate the projector report. Look for zeroes in the Area Data where they shouldn't be. Out of over 150 Dilard users, only 2 have had this issue, so it's pretty rare.
  • Dilard 2.2 does the equivalent of checking the projector report for zeroes automatically...twice. When Dilard is getting data from the projector, if the projector responds with all zeroes, Dilard rejects it and will not save it. It will appear in the "ERRORS/WARNINGS" dialog after the back-up is over and will withheld from being saved into the back-up file.
  • Also, when restoring, if Dilard finds the problem is already in the back-up file, it will refuse to send it to the projector. In other words, both ends are protected...just in case.
  • Fortunately, reflashing this memory is a matter of restoring a valid back-up file to the projector's that been hit by the zeroes. However, I have a hunch that something else unrelated to this is going on with Nacho's projector. I'm trying to help him find out what that is...

Anyway, that's the latest. I thought that this was a "one-time issue" when I first heard about it, but decided to put protective code in the back-up wizard when I heard about the second outbreak.

You already have protection if you are using Dilard 2.2. This is one of the features not listed in the manifesto.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Mark,

could this be related to a European Model G11? Please bear with me since I got my G11 only three days ago.

I also had problems while trying to help nachin by making him a backup from my new G11. Here is what I experienced:

First I installed the Dilard 2.1 demo. The 'Projector Detector Wizard' seemed to work. After a short while it came up with the communication settings, ROM version, serial number and a selection of possible matching models. The G11 was not in that list however. The only JVC model listed was the G1000. A serial number different from the one on the case was shown and the ROM version indicated was 1.0.0.

I then tried Dilard v2.2 which I installed over the 2.1 installation. This time the 'Projector Detector Wizard' came up with the same results (serial, ROM version, etc.), except that the list of possible projectors was longer and did include the G11 this time.

That encouraged me. So I manually selected the G11 and went right to the backup wizard. I selected the projector itself since I wanted to backup everything. Then I started the backup process.

The backup procedure seemed to work fine. The status window indicated that data was read from the G11. The projector was also turned on, just as expected. In the end I was offered to have the projector turned off again. After I clicked [Yes] the G11 turned off.

Now comes the troublesome part: Dilard popped up a time out error stating that the backup could not be completed entirely (Sorry, that were not the exact words. I am quoting from memory here and it was almost 3 am when I tried this ;)). Nevertheless a backup file was created (~16KB in size) and the report option did show some data which made sense. For example the bulb timer data was spot on.

Ok, this is the story of my very first attempt of using Dilard. Now I am very anxious to learn where the source of my problem is. To summarize:

1) the projector model could not be detected properly

2) the detected serial number does not match

3) the detected ROM version is questionable

4) the Backup Wizard gives a time out message in the end

Especially 2) makes me quite a bit nervous. If I had not purchased that G11 directly from JVC Germany, I would suspect that somebody may have tampered with the unit. But, hopefully, it is only that Dilard does not know about my specific European G11 flavor.

Mark, perhaps you can shed some light on this? If you are interested in getting to the bottom of this, I would be too and help you in every way I can.

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
My serialnumber also wasn't detected correctly...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Mike,

As I told you we have exactly the same issue and doubts about our European G11.

I´m trying to talk with JVC service to know if I can update the ROM version and where the cause of this anormal recognition is.

Mark is very helpfull and he´s triying to help us as it´s best, so I hope togheter we finally get the solution and we´ll can profit of Dilard software.

I´ll keep you informated.

Nacho.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joswig
My serialnumber also wasn't detected correctly...
Jan, did you try to make a backup yet? You better not try to restore a backup under the given circumstances.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Joswig,

Please tell us your D-iLA model and ROM information, togheter will find the solution.

Mark would tell us if all European D-iLA customer have that kind of issue. I´m sure it´s not really in all the models but only the G11.

In the JVC service they tell me if the projector have passed throught them they keep a copy of the data, so I have that hope (I bougth a used G11).

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Guys,
  • The Serial number detected electronically will not match the serial number tag on the projector. This is because JVC never updates the serial number in the electronics to match the physical tag before shipping.
  • Also, the "Model Query" command very often returns the WRONG model. I had a table that mapped electronic MODELS and ROM version combinations to actual models as we know then, but I found out that it was a huge amount of work to keep up with the table and that it was inconsistent (a lot of models simply report themselves as a G1000 ROM version 1.0.0). This is also something that JVC doesn't update electronically before shipping the projectors. In Dilard 2.2, I just gave up, and just decided to list every model and forget the entire table of mappings (sigh). 98% of the commands are identical between models, anyway, and it really only determines the graphic that you see in the Wizards.
  • If you are really curious, you can see that this is true and eliminate Dilard from the equation completely. You will find detailed instructions for talking directly to your projector using a program called HyperTerminal at this How-To Page on projector communcation . When you do the test, you will find that those "G11E" projectors that you have actually report themselves as a G1000, ROM Version 1.0.0. In other words, the original G1000 info. was never changed on those!
  • Serial number is the same problem. They are never updated by JVC.

Just thought I'd let you know how that works. It sure would make my job a lot easier if the projectors contained the correct electronic settings!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nachin
Hi Joswig,

Please tell us your D-iLA model and ROM information, togheter will find the solution.

Mark would tell us if all European D-iLA customer have that kind of issue. I´m sure it´s not really in all the models but only the G11.

In the JVC service they tell me if the projector have passed throught them they keep a copy of the data, so I have that hope (I bougth a used G11).
If I remember correctly, Joswig has a G1000. Yet his serial number is identified incorrectly. It would be interesting to learn if he has additional problems.

BTW: The official Product Name of my G11 is "DLA G11E"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Mark,

thanks for clearing things up. I am still worried using Dilard with my G11E though, because

- the backup wizard did not really work 100% with my unit for whatever reason

- I have all the same symptoms nachin has when running Dilard against my G11

Is this backup timeout a known issue? I could send you the backup file Dilard 2.2 produced if you are interested...

Mike

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you do the test, you will find that those "G11E" projectors that you have actually report themselves as a G1000, ROM Version 1.0.0. In other words, the original G1000 info. was never changed on those![*] Serial number is the same problem. They are never updated by JVC.[/list].

Just thought I'd let you know how that works. It sure would make my job a lot easier if the projectors contained the correct electronic settings! [/b][/quote]

Hi Mark,

So that means that we have G10 machines? Or G11 machines with G10 software?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Nach,

I didn't mean to imply that anything sneaky is going on. If you bought a G11E, I'm sure that you have a G11E....with G11 electronics inside as well.

However, the ROM memory of the projector is not always updated to reflect the projector model that it is going into. My projector reports "G11----0423" on the projector test above, meaning G11, ROM 4.2.3. However, from what I have found, the same exact projector model could also report "G10----1000". I think that this is just something that happens during manufacturing.

I suppose that they didn't expect anyone to build a software system that expects the serial, model and ROM version to be correct! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.