·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title basically says it all. But a list of criteria:

Needs to have:
  1. HDMI
  2. Be HD at least 720p
  3. Doesn't have to look the greatest in a lit room but shouldn't have to be so dark I need to batton down the hatches as if a hurricane is coming.

Would be nice if:
  1. If it had CableCard support.

I am new at this so go easy :) I had been looking at the Dell but not CableCard is kind of a bummer. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Welcome to AVS!

I can't tell you what the best $2500 plasma is, but I can tell you to wait till the end of the month before making a purchase so that you can consider all your options.

There is a fairly well sourced rumor that the Panasonic plasmas are going to get a large price reduction.

If the rumor is true it will put the th-42px50u right into your price range.

the 42px50u is 1024x768 (not quite 720p, but pretty darn close - 720p = 1280x720). It has HDMI. As for light reflections, I don't think it is anything special there, just typical plasma.

The display gets tons of great reviews around here, and if you just do a minimal amount of searching you will find more talk on this set than anything else in this part of avs (could be wrong, but pretty sure thats close to accurate).

Now, Pioneer is coming out soon with some new plasmas . The early word is that they beat panny but the displays are not available till Oct (i think?) so who knows. Also, who knows what the street prices will be for these. If they get tons of great reviews, the prices could be high.

I'm waiting to see what the pio's end up selling for, but no matter what you do, you owe it to yourself to wait till the end of the month to see pannys pricing (and the industries reaction to it).

Normally advice to wait doesn't make sense because there is ALWAYs something just around the corner, but it in this case I feel the wait is worth it (it's only a couple weeks away anyway).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The 42PX50 will supposedly MSRP for $2500 on 08/28/05.

The Pioneer 4360 is projected to MSRP for $4500 in October.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock65
The 42PX50 will supposedly MSRP for $2500 on 08/28/05.

The Pioneer 4360 is projected to MSRP for $4500 in October.
I understand the 6th gen pio is supposed to be better than the current gen panny, but for a diff of $2000? How is that supposed to work? Thats quite a premium to pay.

I believe the pio street price will be far, far less. At least I hope they would price it in a way that I have to make a tough decision between the two (pio and panny). It's funny how the market usually works out that way - tough decisions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion to wait... I think I will do that and sounds like the Panny owners seem pretty happy with their units from what I've read so it might not be a bad buy (especially if it drops a little towards the end of the month)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP
The Panny is available for less than $2700 from reputable places now.
But in a couple weeks, if the rumors are true, the panny will be available for $2500 from the neighborhood stores. The internet prices will be even less. Waiting 2 weeks could save someone $500 bucks more or less. There could be some lag before the internet prices drop below 2500, but I don't think it will take too long.

In any case, he should know that the 42px50u may be in his range shortly and would be a very worthy consideration for his price range.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP
The Panny is available for less than $2700 from reputable places now.
What are these reputable places, I haven't seen it below $2900 on any AUTHORIZED retailers site????

pm me if you wouldn't mind, I don't think we're allowed to post pricing quotes. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.