AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Replay went caput and I can return it but want to find a replacement first. My understanding is that the 5504 does not have Commercial Advance (a feature I rather like). Replay will transfer my service agreement to whichever unit I replace this one with. South Orange County preferred - looking for the standard $149 price, too. Anyone know who is still carrying them? Radio Shack and Circuit City are totally out here. Any help is most appreciated. Super Bowl coming soon - gotta save those commercials!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
Ebay, but you're gonna pay a whole helluva lot more than $149. Who at Replay told you they would transfer service?
I have a 5040 and a 5060 (really a 5080) non activated I might part with. Lizard_Boy what are these selling for on EBAY?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Who at Replay told you they would transfer service?
Is this not standard? Had concerns, so called and talked with Raoul and was advised that I just needed to call in with the new unit - whichever one I bought, and they would transfer the service. Still have the defective one waiting for a replacement. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TBP
My new Replay went caput and I can return it but want to find a replacement first. My understanding is that the 5504 does not have Commercial Advance (a feature I rather like). Replay will transfer my service agreement to whichever unit I replace this one with. South Orange County preferred - looking for the standard $149 price, too. Anyone know who is still carrying them? Radio Shack and Circuit City are totally out here. Any help is most appreciated. Super Bowl coming soon - gotta save those commercials!
Good luck with the $149. I have an activated one I will sell for $375 plus shipping. But you might get a better price on Ebay.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hankcampbell
Good luck with the $149. I have an activated one I will sell for $375 plus shipping. But you might get a better price on Ebay.
That's a good price, they're averaging around $425, plus typical high ebay shipping fees.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I see 5540's on ebay for less than $100

I see no 5040's for that price.

And yes they come with no activation ;)

Edit: The 5540's are Buy it now for $99.00

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ekaxel
Lots of Brand New (I assume no activation) 5040 on ebay less than $100
Those are just the initial bid prices. The "buy it now prices" are around $250, and if you look at the "completed items" list, you'll see that they are all going for over $200. It would be ludicrous to sell a new 5040 for $50 less than the original retail.

I'd advise that you check out Craig's list regularly. That's where I bought my 5040. You may be able to cut a better deal than a "highest bidder plus shipping" ebay deal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is 'Craig's list' and where do I find it? I'm a bit hesitant to buy electronics on EBay. Prefer known dealers. Thanks to all for their input - still checking, though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Craig's list is a free internet bulletin board with stuff ranging from for sale to vacation rentals to personal ads. It differs from ebay in that it has local listings and is not an auction format. If you live near a major population center, there should be a craigslist for your location. Just go to: www.craigslist.org

Click on the right side for your location, then the top left corner to select "for sale", then type in the box "replay 5040". See if you get anything.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
That's a good price, they're averaging around $425, plus typical high ebay shipping fees.
I used it once to make sure it works and that I didn't get nailed with that Replay inactivation weirdness of December ( it was a stocking stuffer for the missus). That eerie blue light and the higher noise prohibited it for the bedroom, so I got another 4040 for there instead.

I'm certainly too lazy to endure the Ebay hassle, though I did sell a laser disc player and some movies a few weeks ago and that was fairly painless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.