AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 6 years of service and recent project of converting VHS and Hi8 home movies to DVD [about 30 discs in a weeks time] the drive failed on my Panny [typical three honking noises and NO READ on the display] looked these thread and opened the recorder and noticed that the drive I'll need to get is VXY2010 [opened the machine and its stamped ontop of the drive]... will get it from Panasonic as a last resort since its high at a 170$ and will try pawn stores or swap meets to see if a similar drive pops up I'm assuming that DMR-ez48 might use the same drive but hoping someone here can confirm here [guess the 5 and K must mean the VHS drive on the unit?]

Which other Panny model #'s use the VXY2010 drive?? [i'll probably need to replace the whole drive since I screwed the drive worse by taking it apart & trying to clean it and now wont even eject]

I plan on giving away this unit once fixed to a cousin who still uses VHS and I'm getting rid of mine and want to update my DVD recorder with one that has a HDD like the Magnavox I currently own

Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
11,602 Posts

My guess is the EA-18, EZ-28 and EA-38v would use the same drive as your EZ-48v. Of those the most popular by far would be the EZ-28. Unless you still need it for DVD recording or you just like to tinker I'd just use your EZ-48v for VHS operation and not bother trying to fix the DVD side, of course thats up to you. One can occasionally find a used EZ-28 for $50-$100, the tunerless EA models were never that popular and quite hard to find although if you do you might be able to find one at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock  /t/1522904/needing-a-new-drive-for-panny-dmr-ez485v-other-pannys-using-same-drive/0_60#post_24492164

After 6 years of service and recent project of converting VHS and Hi8 home movies to DVD [about 30 discs in a weeks time] the drive failed on my Panny [typical three honking noises and NO READ on the display] looked these thread and opened the recorder and noticed that the drive I'll need to get is VXY2010 [opened the machine and its stamped ontop of the drive]... will get it from Panasonic as a last resort since its high at a 170$ and will try pawn stores or swap meets to see if a similar drive pops up I'm assuming that DMR-ez48 might use the same drive but hoping someone here can confirm here [guess the 5 and K must mean the VHS drive on the unit?]

Which other Panny model #'s use the VXY2010 drive?? [i'll probably need to replace the whole drive since I screwed the drive worse by taking it apart & trying to clean it and now wont even eject]

I plan on giving away this unit once fixed to a cousin who still uses VHS and I'm getting rid of mine and want to update my DVD recorder with one that has a HDD like the Magnavox I currently own

Thanks for any info...

You should send a private message to mickinct concerning laser assembly replacement and reassembly of the DVD Drive. See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1400807/part-2-having-issues-with-your-panasonic-dvd-recorder-read/0_60#post_24493556

As to compatibility of Panasonic DVD Drives see this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1082922/swapping-panasonic-dvd-drives-compatibility-considerations/0_60

This thread addresses routine DVD Drive servicing and reassembly complications:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies Jeff and Diga... I have PM'ed Mike a few days ago but since I'm a nite owl by nature & work schedule [writing this at 3am NY time] its more difficult for me to carve some time to call him and figure out whats up with my old unit, and yes this would be a tinker project for me to either gift the machine away if I can get it fixed or keep it as a back up recorder

I got this in 2008 and was used heavily daily use until I got a Maggy HDD/DVD in 2012 and liked the features on this Panny that could play MP3/AvI files on disc/USB/SD cards but even those features are now kinda outdated... I'm trying to keep the repair price as low as possible and trying to keep the unit as another piece of debris in a landfill or storage closet... in the end might just put on CL as an as-is unit for free especially if I have to replace more than the drive which is easier than dealing with any PCB issues... heck maybe someone will take it if the need a digital tuner or maybe it will sit in storage next to ReplayTV, Archos TV Plus, an RCA DVDplayer and HDD...

I'll pour thru the other threads later and keep a list on my fone of possible replacement parts... Thanks for the help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts