AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has an old record play she inherited from her grand mother and she needs a new needle but has no clue where to go. I've included a pic below. I'll try to get the model number too. I apologize for the dark picture. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
needledoctor.com
Thank you. I must admit, I know very little about record players myself so excuse me if these questions sound stupid. Should I be looking for a stylus or a phono cartridge.
Also, before the needle broke (kids fiddled with it) there was a lot of noise when music played, more than there should be. I know that vinyl is by nature noisy but will a better needle/stylus/phono cartridge help reduce noise?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To add to my previous comment, I'm looking for some education in addition to buying advice.

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
Based on the photo and guessing the age of the console, it's just an old record player that has a ceramic cartridge. I wouldn't invest a lot of money other than just getting a replacement needle and hope for the best.

Once you obtain the model# info, contact Needledoctor.com and they will help you out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on the photo and guessing the age of the console, it's just an old record player that has a ceramic cartridge. I wouldn't invest a lot of money other than just getting a replacement needle and hope for the best.

Once you obtain the model# info, contact Needledoctor.com and they will help you out.
Perfect. I'll do that this weekend.

It's a cool unit but she's the furthest thing from an audio enthusiast. So long as it plays she'll be happy. I just want it to sounds better for my preference lol.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
That looks like the Zenith console my parents bought in the mid 60's. That console got me interested in electronics and especially audio. A lot of classic albums were played on it.

Don't laugh too hard but my first experiment with it was to strip the insulation off the built in FM antenna trying to get better reception.

It also had external speaker connections in which I hooked only one up to my bedroom. While playing a Beatle Album, I wondered why I could only hear vocals and no music. Hmmmm. Could it be I need another speaker ? Got another speaker and there was the music! I had discovered stereo!

Sorry to go off topic, but that picture brought back a lot of memories.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Replacement

A friend of mine has an old record play she inherited from her grand mother and she needs a new needle but has no clue where to go. I've included a pic below. I'll try to get the model number too. I apologize for the dark picture. Any advice is appreciated.
Go to turntableneedles.com and look for "zenith cartridge". You need the model number of the console and turntable.

I suggest that you get a complete cartridge, because at that age the cartridge suspension will be in terrible condition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts