AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my Sony Wega 34" widescreen XBR CRT HDTV tomorrow and I want to make sure everything is perfect in my setup and nothing will horribly damage the tv. So I have some questions:

1. What is the general distance you need to be away from the TV to be safe from magnetically distorting the set? My L/R speakers (non-shielded) will be about 3 1/2 feet from the set, is that ok?

2. I was planning on putting the following underneath the actual set in the stand area:

--Harman Karden AVR 630 receiver

--Oppo dvd player

--Cox HDTV cable box

--Playstation2

Now are all four of those things magnetically shielded? (I mean in general are dvd players, receivers, videogame systems, and cable boxes shielded). I guess if they aren't I can put them in to the side of the TV a foot or two away.

Center speaker is shielded so I should be ok on that.

Also when I get the tv is there anything I should be careful of at first? Such as keeping the contrast low or something. This is my first expensive set and I've blown most of my cash (poor post-college student returning from Japan with a few thousand saved here) on this home theater and I don't want to accidently damage anything on the set.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
3 1/2 feet show be more than enough. If you see any distortion or strange colors at the corners or the sides you'll know you're too close.

The other equipment should be just fine where they are.

When you get the TV make sure everything's working and there's no noticeable issues.

Lowering the contrast is something you would normally do for a Plasma or CRT RPTV. Direct view sets don't have the same burn in issues so don't worry about that.

Get a calibration disc so you can setup the TV correctily and you'll be fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.