AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I currently have a denon 788 receiver with 5 psb b25 speakers that are rated at 4ohm minimum and 6 ohm nominal. This is my first setup and the receiver was a carry over from my pops sound room so im wondering what needs done. The sound doesnt get very loud and when I do try and push it I start to get distortion. Ive already blown out one psb and by the way the reviews praise the speakers it seems like these things should be incredible. Im thinking the speakers are too power hungry for the denon to handle. The system has been calibrated with an spl meter so its not that Im cranking them up to +10 each. What do you think? A 5 channel amp ( prob Emotiva) or going with a higher end receiver?

· Registered
628 Posts
Did you do an auto calibration? Make sure to reset before doing any manual calibrations

Is the polarity on everything correct?

Those speakers are not necessarily inefficient. Should be plenty loud off of 90 watts. What are you comparing to that you've heard before?

edit: and make sure to set them to "small" to limit the bass sent to them. This will allow for more power handling and higher spls, as well as clearer sound from less distortion

· Registered
6,946 Posts
What "blew" in the speaker? Tweeter?

Bear in mind that while the speaker seems to have very good reviews for sound quality, that doesn't mean it's going to provide concert-like volumes. There is only so much small speakers can do in that regard.

Do you have a good subwoofer in the system?

Adding an external amp may improve some aspects of the sound, but it's not going to transform this setup into a rock concert venue.

· Registered
7,822 Posts
You're obviously pushing the amp past what it can deliver. The PSB blew because that "distortion" you're hearing is clipping. A beefier amp will play louder without clipping.

Now, what was the question?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.