Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

This is my first post here at AVS and I've heard some great things about this forum. I have recently transferred some mobile audio funds into home theatre/audio. I heard a great set of home audio speakers, properly imaged, and it sounded wonderful, so now I guess the "bug" has bitten me........

I have a new Yamaha reciever which does 100 watts continuous to 5 channels. I also have a Samsung DVD player.

My main speakers are the Klipsch RF-3 II, which I found to be amazing. I am building my set up in stages right now.

Does it matter that I use different surround speakers in terms of manafacturer than my front speakers? What about the center channel? I am looking for a relatively small surround speaker with a depth less than 7.5 inches. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks for your help, and, any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
904 Posts
welcome to the wonderful world or morons, psychopaths, and mental defectives :) I give you my condolences on your HT bug bite as you will never again be completely satisfied with your equipment.

anyway, the center speaker is arguably the most important of the bunch. it is where the bulk of home theater sound is concentrated and has the difficult job of conveying the human voice, to which we are most sensitive. It is crucial that the center work well with your mains and be of the highest quality possible. definitely stick to a center with a good sized cabinet and at least the same drivers for high and midrange as your mains.

The surrounds are also best when matched to the center/mains but much less important. most of what comes from the surrounds will be either ambience or effects and will be coming from an acoustically different place in the room. even with the exact same speakers in each location, the surrounds will sound somewhat different because of their different room location and even more so if they are bi- or di-polar.

jake

oh, as far as a reccomendation on smaller surrounds; i have been very happy with "the surround" by cambridge soundworks. they are switchable between bi and dipolar modes, are slightly bright (as are the klipschs), and are maybe 6-7" deep. they can be found at CSW stores and hifi.com

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sorry for the irrelevant post.
Quote:
welcome to the wonderful world or morons, psychopaths, and mental defectives I give you my condolences on your HT bug bite as you will never again be completely satisfied with your equipment.
Good I am not the only one!!! :D

Wait should I get this, or that, what am I thinking this!! It goes on forever :)

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by jakehall
welcome to the wonderful world or morons, psychopaths, and mental defectives :) I give you my condolences on your HT bug bite as you will never again be completely satisfied with your equipment.

anyway, the center speaker is arguably the most important of the bunch. it is where the bulk of home theater sound is concentrated and has the difficult job of conveying the human voice, to which we are most sensitive. It is crucial that the center work well with your mains and be of the highest quality possible. definitely stick to a center with a good sized cabinet and at least the same drivers for high and midrange as your mains.

The surrounds are also best when matched to the center/mains but much less important. most of what comes from the surrounds will be either ambience or effects and will be coming from an acoustically different place in the room. even with the exact same speakers in each location, the surrounds will sound somewhat different because of their different room location and even more so if they are bi- or di-polar.

jake

oh, as far as a reccomendation on smaller surrounds; i have been very happy with "the surround" by cambridge soundworks. they are switchable between bi and dipolar modes, are slightly bright (as are the klipschs), and are maybe 6-7" deep. they can be found at CSW stores and hifi.com
Hey, thanks a lot for your response! I also wasn't aware of the Center Speaker being that important; I will remember that when purchasing!

By the way.........what are CSW stores?

Oh one more question.........would it be ok to run different surrounds than my front speakers and center?

I am not a fanatic, but want good sound!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Your 5.1 will sound best if all speakers are of the same quality. The rear speakers should be as high a quality as the mains. This is not necessary if you only have Dolby ProLogic, as it is not full range or stereo in the rears. Although the center speaker is very important, and I am not belittling that. However, I notice that many customers do not know how to balance the channels. Often, they seem to crank up the center channel speaker to the point that you don't even hear the front left & right speakers. Its been my experience that many people tend to do this. Its very annoying to my ears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.