AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a screen this year. Hopefully, after CES 2006, I'll have a 46+" Bravia LCD to consider. As of now, it's between the 50" panasonic consumer, and the Bravia 40". We watch 85% network TV, sports, and cable channels with Series 2 Tivo & comcast digital cable, 10% DVD's, and maybe 5% PS2 gaming (just don't have the time any more!). I split the cable so that I can run my 32" sony trinitron with analog cable as well as use the S-Video for the Tivo. I have a manual switcher (a pain) for the DVD player. If I could just get a bigger screen without a million pound TV, I'd stay with the tube!

This will be a big upgrade year - PS3, Cable HD box or cablecard - I may do Netflix this year a REALLY go nuts with DVD's...

I have an 11' viewing distance to the couch, and anothoer long couch that runs from that to the side of the TV, off to the side. My room has a large bay window exactly opposite the screen, so I'm very concerned about glare. Most of what I've read says LCD would be better.

When I went to a local a/v shop, the sales guy suggested that the room light may make an LCD look worse, as it might get washed out. I was under the impression that the Panny and all other plasma's would be unwatchable during the day, much like my 13 year old trinitron. I have seen the Sharps at CC, and they look horribly washed out, and my room is as bright or brighter than CC's display section.

The two that keep catching my eye are the Panny and the Sony. I don't like to stretch 4:3 stuff, but I'm getting less scared of burn-in, and more of glare. I'll never be ablr to block out all light, althouh the window does face east, so night viewing is fine anyway.

Will I be sorry if I don't just wait for SED? Anyone try these two TV's ina similar room?

Thanks!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a Panasonic LCD in my bedroom. Sometimes I watch TV there in the middle of the day, with the blinds wide open. I've got a HUGE window. Lots, lots of direct sunshine. The LCD remains bright and quite watchable, which would not be the case with my Panasonic plasma in my living room. LCDs do withstand direct sunshine better than plasmas, IMO. My LCD is set to auto-adjust its backlight with the surrounding light. This helps. However, I still prefer my plasma's image :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
stripe is spot on.

I have a Panny LCD as well. It's in my living room with floor to ceiling windows where I have no light control. The windows face east looking over Lake Michigan. Every morning I have a supernova as the sunlight streams through my windows. The LCD is fantastic in these conditions. It looks better with lights on. The pq does take a hit with direct sunlight but it is still very watchable...blows crt away. I prefer the overall pq of a plasma as well but LCD is better for my environment.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The east facing panel windows open a floodgate of light that lasts well into the afternoon. I'm a couple of blocks from the beach, and there's no trees diffusing anything . Does the LCD look OK on DVD movies with dark content (Batman begins, Star Wars, etc.?) I'm sure sports would be good as long as the response time is quick. I haven't heard anyone complain about that lately. I guess I'll hang in there for a few more months -

·
Registered
673 Posts
Most LCDs tend to have problems with DVDs (or whatever source) when it comes to dark material. The black level on LCDs is generally poorer than on good plasmas (Panny plasmas anyways). Shadow details and black level is much better on my panny plasma vs. my panny LCD. However, this tradeoff is acceptable when watching my LCD in bright light, where the black level is much less of an issue (compared to a darkened home theater, for example). As someone else mentionned, LCDs tend to look better with lights on vs. plamas which look better in a darker environment.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So with say, a 150 watt frosted torchiere lamp on, I wouldn't really have a problem with LCD black levels?

Our usual viewing situation at night is just that. I occasionally turn off all of the lights if I rent a movie. But since that usually makes me fall asleep, I keep the lights on 3 out of 4 times.

In the morning and afternoons, without clouds, I always see a reflection of the window over most of my direct view CRT until 5-6 PM. It's mostly glare in noontime sun. Our curtains are off-white linen. At night I can see the curtain reflection on a black screen with the lamp on.

Would the LCD be the ticket, or can a plasma still overcome if set brightly (but not enough to risk burn-in with unstretched 4:3)? In showrooms I usually love the panny 50" PQ slightly over the XBR, but not "by a mile".

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe
Most LCDs tend to have problems with DVDs (or whatever source) when it comes to dark material. The black level on LCDs is generally poorer than on good plasmas (Panny plasmas anyways). Shadow details and black level is much better on my panny plasma vs. my panny LCD. However, this tradeoff is acceptable when watching my LCD in bright light, where the black level is much less of an issue (compared to a darkened home theater, for example). As someone else mentionned, LCDs tend to look better with lights on vs. plamas which look better in a darker environment.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good plasmas will outperform good LCD's in a darkened room everytime when viewing material with dark scenes. The best lighting for a LCD is what you'd typically find in a showroom. Bright Bright Bright. There are trade-offs with each type. I decided I could live with less than spectacular blacks in favor of incredible brightness and next to no glare. Best to buy from somewhere with a no-questions-asked return policy and see for yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.