AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a neighbor who fell in love with a HT demo at a hi-end dealer. Typical set-up with a greyhawk screen and a Runco DLP (not sure which model, but it was 11k).

I know he could be just as happy with an Infocus LP340/350 or an NEC LT150 (picture-wise) but he's one of those guys who just wants to turn it on and watch. Too much fiddling will drive him away from the hobby. With this in mind, do you guys have any suggestions? If he's got the money to spend, is the Runco the best solution?

thanks in advance

chris

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
There are dealers who offer the Seleco 250. It is just as turnkey, sold and serviced by dealers, and is a lot cheaper (streeting a bit over 10K).

It is also better than the Runco IMHO.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I don't think the Seleco is offered locally.

How about the Sony LCD projector? I would personally opt for DLP, but LCD might be an option for him as long as useability remains simple. Probably save some money too.

[This message has been edited by chris larralde (edited 06-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by chris larralde (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting side note: We were at the same Seattle HT Demo that was mentioned in the Sharp DLP thread. We didn't know the event was going on, so to avoid the crowds we only checked out the Runco -- sounds like we're going to have to go back to ckeck out the Sharp.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
There are many better options including the Seleco 250 and Dwin Transvision (talk to Jason at AVS for good pricing).

Others include the Sanyo PLV 60--powerbuy just started, and new Sharp 9000 coming out in late August/early September. The Sony 11HT will also be out in a few months in that price range.

Remember, the Runco is just a souped up Davis as I recall, and only 800x600--for 11k, not a good deal. (the 101cx...the next up XGA is 17k including scalar).

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I just tried a Mits X390 with 2200 lumens and it was great right out of the box with defaults and GeForce HTPC set at defaults. Unfortunately the internal scaler sucks but if he is going to watch DVD then a progressive scan DVD Player will be very plug and play and would just blow the Runco out of the water.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
In actual fact the InFocus models are even easier to use than the Runco. You just take the S-Video feed and plug it in.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
287 Posts
"Too much fiddling will drive him away from the hobby."

Isn't fiddling the point of a hobby?

Chris,

Anyway, try to educate your friend about the pieces that encompass an entire system. Once the cost associated with all the bits is looked at as a whole, the value of certain conveniences may be less important to them. A discussion about the differences between available projectors with comparable performance and MARKETING will probably suffice.

If it's a hobby for them, they'll want to know something about it all.

Jeff

·
Registered
683 Posts
The Dwin DLP can be seen at Magnolia Hi-Fi in Bellevue.

The Seleco's are sold in the Northwest thru a couple of "custom install" dealers, Premier Audio-Video and Wire Ways. Not sure about the HT250 but I know there is a HT200 around to demo.

IMHO the Seleco HT250 is a much better value than the Runco. (Better picture for about the same price as the VX101C.) We are starting to see used/demo HT250's becoming available at much less than retail.

The new Sharp DLP may be worth waiting for also.

Reed.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Ironically, if it had been the $17K VX 101, I'd have said just let him get it, the GrayHawk, and be happy. He may even get some of it back at resale time. Lot's of people just want a turn key solution like a Runco, and a local dealer to support them. Who's to say they're wrong?

But the entry level Runco, on the other hand, just isn't as good. I'd still take it over the VW10HT, unless I watched mostly HDTV, but not over the Seleco HT200DM which is a great, great projector.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Dwin sounds like a good option to the Runco -- what is this projector based on?

BTW -- he's pretty convinced about buying something local (runco etc.) because he wants someone to fix it if anything goes wrong. He's also getting the whole package -- retractable greyhawk screen, theater chairs, custom installation. Somehow, the DIY spirit didn't pique his interest, so I'm just going to guide him in the right direction for a projector purchase. I suppose at this point, I could also suggest a D'ILA, but I don't know much about them.

chris

·
Registered
38 Posts
To All:

I too was a former Runco devotee. . .but thanks to my AVS brethren, I've seen the light. BTW, the Runco Vx101c w/ anamorphic lens option goes for 12-13K+ and is 800 x 600 VGA. The higher end Vx1c w/ anamorphic lens option is XGA 1024 X 768 and retails for 18k+. The dealer I talked to said that Runco doesn't suggest using these w/ "Grayhawk" do to decreased light output.

I am opting instead for a Seleco HT250 which I can get from my dealer for $8500. . .but I'm still looking for the best anamorphic lens option. Any suggestions/prices? Also, does anyone know of any inexpensive 3 chip DLP projectors even proposed for the near future??

Lastly, BTW, my Runco dealer said "you can't always trust opinions on those internet sites. . .people on those forums sometimes have secondary motives for suggesting certain products." Yeah, right.

·
Registered
835 Posts
LOL!

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I would say that a dealer would have a greater incentive for pushing a particular product than someone on a forum. That's not to say that the people here don't get really passionate about our shared hobby.

I have to say that if you're working with a dealer, getting plug-and-play products isn't as important because you've got the dealer supporting you. Although your friend will probably want to go with a product that the dealer is familiar with. Seleco is definitely a potential choice, although they sacrificed a lot of light to get good colour performance, side-by-side with a Runco DLP the Runco is *a lot* brighter. That shouldn't make a big difference in a dedicated theatre though, just make sure that there's a good 12 ft-lamberts on the screen.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tell him to double check and make sure he is in love with the picture and if he is then he will have a good product with great service and be able to tell people he owns a Runco. Most of use spend more time fiddeling with our theaters than we do watching them.If he doesn't want this or need the money to feed his kids he will be happy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have seen the Runco Vx1c several times and I have always been impressed by the picture. I would not consider the lower end Runco a good purchase at all.

If he is your friend, I would be very careful with what I recommend. Take him to see several demos and let him make-up his mind. Walk him through the strengths and weaknesses of each product. If after seeing a few other projectors he still wants a Runco, let him buy it. After all, it is his money and his taste. Avoid getting blamed in the future for something you suggest. You could lose a friend that way.

------------------

cai

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.