AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riddle me this, riddle me that. Life's design cannot be explained, it is an enigma wrapped in a riddle (pardon me, Sir Winston Churchill).

A well-made thriller, and one that escaped my viewing for several months (blame it on procrastination). Carly Pope plays the daughter of a Toronto police detective/supervisor. Having suffered a tragedy earlier in her life, she is eager for answers, and is willing to explore for them. Even venturing into subway tunnels and abandoned buildings. As her philosophy professor says in class, the dilemma of human consciousness is that it seeks to understand those areas which cannot be known. Such as metaphysics. There are so many riddles posed over 91 minutes, you'll be scratching your head every 5 minutes. Here is an easy riddle from the film. It is posed by a character they call the Skateboarder:

"What is a ghost's favorite color?"

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) BOO. Darn, you should have got this if you picked up Casper this week.

The meaning of the title is especially clever.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Nemesis is the name of a Buddhist monk who broke away from the order. His bag was riddles, and he is reputed to have killed someone. Later he was hung for this crime.

The film is not abstract or pseudo-intellectual. The plot-flow is a bit like Seven or Unbreakable or Angel Heart. Good job of screenwriting by Jesse Warn. PQ at 3.5 suits the movie just fine (it has a dark look).

Carly Pope has the look of a 19-year old Lara Flynn Boyle, with very intense eyes. She just found a page in my scrapbook. Not sure if Carly has ever appeared nude, but she sure is awful skinny.

There is no director's commentary, but there is a making-of featurette, with many interesting factoids. Matt, you're gonna love the cinematography in this movie. Inventive and not repetitive. Excellent editing. Good stuff.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.