AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NeoDigits offered me a full refund for the player and didn’t even ask me to return the fault player to them because the postage costs would have been quite high, which was a nice gesture. Apart from one period of silence they did assist me as much as possible with the problems and eventually offered me a very amicable solution.

They asked me to remove or edit this review which put me in a bit of a moral predicament. On the one hand the review was entirely accurate and was backed up with video and photo evidence. On the other hand...er...they did ask nicely so...what can I say, I’m just weak :)

Feel free to abuse me :)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Wow, a lot of work to deter others from buying that upscaling DVD player. I have the HVD2081 and picture quality with my Sony KV-30XBR910 direct view and Panasonic PT-L500U 720p LCD projector is excellent in my opinion. I have observed none of the picture quality problems. Mine doesn't get enough use to comment on build quality since I have several other sources I use more. I think your picture quality problems were likely a result of defective hardware which of course ultimately resulted in catastrophic failure of the player.

I am going to save the link to this thread to return to if I have problems. Thanks for all of the effort to research and write it all and it could be helpful to others having problems with the HVD2081 or HVD2085. The customer service concerns are certainly worth noting by anyone considering purchasing the HVD2085.

Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I start typing I can’t stop though I must admit I never thought I’d be able to write that much about a DVD player. I’ve never had a DVD player in the past that I’d describe as bad since they all pretty much did what they were supposed to with no major problems. The HVD2081 had problems in all areas (video, audio, build quality and reliability) so there was no shortage of things to write about.

I don’t think the hardware failure is related to the picture quality issues since the fault was simply with the drive and the issues remain with the new drive installed. One thing I should have said is I pretty much only watch animation. Since there is significantly less detail in an animation cel than in a video frame video artefacts stand out much clearer.

I tried a few live action DVDs and for the most part it is extremely difficult to detect the image bouncing problem. You need a setup such as lines on football field where you can see the lines bouncing for it to become very apparent. In animation you get a lot of lines on block colour backgrounds and it’s extremely easy to see the lines moving up and down. The block colours also make it extremely easy to see what I described as analogue interference lines, but these are very difficult to detect on a photo image.

It would be interesting if you gave your HVD2081 a try with an animated DVD to see if it becomes possible to detect these problems. It might also be interesting to connect it to a monitor via the VGA output and see if the issues become apparent.

As for putting people off the player, the review is more a series of facts that will have that effect. The video evidence showing the bouncing problem and the emails shows what appears to be blatant lies from NeoDigits are there for anyone to see and make their own judgement. As I say, it’s best to check a variety of sources and make up your own mind.

I’m starting to write another essay. As I said at the start when I can’t (edit: can't = start) typing I can’t stop. Must stop now!!!! :)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I don't believe I have used my HVD2081 for anything other than movies with real actors and of course CGI. I do have several of the popular animated movies from Disney and Pixar and the next time I watch one of those, I will use the HVD2081. I get quickly bored when trying to find problems with a player or display by viewing parts of a DVD and can't get excited about doing that now. A complete viewing will give a better idea of picture quality issues in any event. I guess it isn't clear to me how you can conclude your picture quality problems were not a result of defective hardware but of course your opinion based on your sample of one is certainly understandable.

Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying the video issues were related to the faulty drive. I suppose, like you say, the picture problems could be a result of defective hardware.

If it is a hardware problem then a second hardware fault in the same player (in addition to the drive failure) would definitely raise significant quality concerns.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard
I have the HVD2081 and picture quality with my Sony KV-30XBR910 direct view and Panasonic PT-L500U 720p LCD projector is excellent in my opinion.
What DVD players did you compare it to? In your opinion, which players does it beat in PQ and which ones does it not? Saying "excellent" means little. I've read people who claim "excellent" PQ here on players you could not pay me to use.

Dave

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
What DVD players did you compare it to? In your opinion, which players does it beat in PQ and which ones does it not? Saying "excellent" means little. I've read people who claim "excellent" PQ here on players you could not pay me to use.

Dave
Excellent compared to all other DVD players in its price range (

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought a 2080 in January and it worked great for about 6 weeks and then developed the clicking drive problem mentioned above.

Neodigits sent me a new drive and asked me to replace it myself. I took the case apart and put the new drive in and it worked for 1 week.

I then asked for a new machine and that it be an 2081 since a web posting mentioned that it was better built. I paid $25 for the upgrade and $15 for the shipping but the replacement 2081 worked for 10 days and then would not boot.

I asked for aNOTHER replacement unit and asked that it be a 2085. Neodigits replied they did not have any in stock in the US and would notify me when the new units would arrive.

That was over 6 weeks ago.

When I attempt to post to the on-line repair ticket, it will not accept the post.

My emails to the person responding to the ticket are un-answered.

I attempted to create a new job ticket, but it does not post and there is no reply. Most tickets get an automated response that it will be addressed in 24 hours. There is no such response.

An email to the service department "are you guys still in business?" has not been answered.

I made an inquiry to the sales email and that was responded to but when I asked for help with my earlier issue --- silence.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since the issue with the drive is clearly a regular and reoccurring problem you do have to wonder why they don’t switch driver manufacturer, which would at least solve the high failure rate and the loud vibration problem.

NeoDigits don’t seem to want to take any responsibility for this problem despite it being entirely their fault for first selecting an unreliable component and then continuing to use it despite the high failure rate. Not only do they not accept responsibility it seems they have a short tolerance for customers whose player has failed and start to ignore them. Their outlook seems to be “we’ve got your money who cares whether it works or not.â€

I think I’ll start playing a movie on my HVD2081 every day and see how long it is before the new drive gives up and then see how NeoDigits respond to the failure.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I bought a 2081 for the upconversion over component and region-free capabilities when I was undecided on whether to keep my Oppo DV971H. Have not put a lot of hours on the 2081, but enough to experience the drive noise and vibrations, and to come away with an overall feeling that the machine is living on borrowed time. The photos of the machine internals are about what I expected - cheap, cheap, cheap. The remote is downright silly - below Fisher-Price quality.

Ironically, this model has better video quality over component than HDMI, which makes you question its' engineering. Still, the best that this player is capable of is not good enough for me. Would not pass blacker-than-black, video levels were off (with no user adjustments for black or white level on the player), and deinterlacing was mediocre at best.

Fortunately, I have other quality DVD players in my house. I was just hoping the NeuNeo would be a decent region-free player for my import and PAL discs. I am replacing it with a NAD T534 player, and have consigned the 2081 to my closet.

·
Registered
27,977 Posts
Has anyone had these problems with the 2085?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's broken again.

After reading pmacafee’s comments I decided to play a movie on it once a day to see how long it would last this time, expecting something in the region of weeks or months.

I played the first DVD on it on Tuesday without incident and then last night (Wednesday) I put a movie on before having a nap after eating. My sleep was interrupted by noises from the player and when I got up to look at it the display read “no disc†and was back on the menu screen. I tried a few different discs and all produced the rapid clicking sound I’ve becoming so familiar with.

Well, it’s lucky I bought that HTPC since the NeuNeo DVD player doesn’t do much in the way of playing DVDs. Including the 30 minutes I used it for on Saturday to record the videos for the review it lasted a total of about 2.5 hours. Surely there’s no way the drive can be the cause of this? It must be a fault somewhere else in the player.

I reported the failure to NeoDigits last night via a new ticket and received a fast response. He told me to return the player for a replacement, which I thought I’d do to find out if the other issues were just with my model or with the player in general. Only thing is the cheapest courier I’ve found so far is £53.48 ($93.79), which would further increase the price of this player. I'll give Royal Mail a try tomorrow and see if they do anything cheaper.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
I feel your pain, and I don't mean to be a putz, but did you actually think you were buying a quality component? Have you ever heard of any cheap Chinese junk being good?

Stay away from cheap Chinese junk!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
27,977 Posts
Tornprince, are they replacing your player with another 2081, or with a 2085? It seems like the 2081 was a lemon. The 2085 is advertised to be built with better components. I'd be curious to hear if people are still having these problems with the 2085 as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Josh Z, just re-reading the email I’m not actually sure. He says:

“Send the player back to us and I may can give you a new model of our player.â€

I think…er…I’m not sure. He "may" :)

Person99, now that you ask the question I don’t actually know what I was expecting. Having never bought a player at the low end of the market I suppose I was just expecting it to work as it should, which seemed like a reasonable proposition. I definitely wasn’t expecting such a wide array of flaws and such poor reliability.

Perhaps my reasoning is flawed but if you’ve got no retailer mark-up (since it’s sold directly by the manufacturer), no distribution costs (since the items ship straight from China), and low labour costs then it should be possible to but together a fairly decent player for the price. I have no clue what the mark-up is on electrical items but isn’t the mark-up on food items in a supermarket about 100%? If it’s the same for electrical item then $225 would be equivalent to $450 at retail.

As for cheap Chinese junk, that does seem to be the case now but in the future there’s bound to be a turning point as there was with Japanese car manufacturers. All they have to do is use some decent components but up until now most Chinese players seem to compete at the bottom end of the market.

NeoDigits do seem to be trying to go slightly up market but it looks like something went wrong at the design phase. These problems must be costing them a fortune in administrative costs, postage and replacement hardware so they may well have learned their lesson by now and improved the HVD2085. It would be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
From what I have read, it doesn't appear the HVD2085 offers a big improvement in build quality. I am going to start using my HVD2081 for all of my DVDs on that system for a several weeks and see if it survives. If not, I will try to get an exchange from NeuNeo for the HVD2085. I believe China makes a lot of DVD players and without knowing which company makes various players in China, it is very difficult to know which ones to avoid. Clearly some factories are building good players and others are not. Although I haven't played many DVDs or HVDs with my player, I am hopeful it is going to hold up. I will know more in a few weeks.

Chris

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Stay away from cheap Chinese junk!!!!
And our options for a 1080p DVD player are???

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED

Thanks.
A scaler. And its way better too.

Hey, it would be great if there was a cheap quality solution for this. But heck, for $500 you can pick up an older Lumagen and a DVD player with good 480i out and have a better picture than than this.

But, I have to say, given that CRT PJs and very expensive digitals (which can both do correct refresh rates for film) are the only ones that can consume a 1080p signal, why would you not buy a better source than a NeuNeo which saves you a few hundred dollars and forces you to watch film at a jjjuudddeerrryy 60 Hz?

Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just clarified the situation regarding the replacement model and they offered me a HVD2085 for $140 shipped to save me having to return the HVD2081. Naturally I declined and said I’d rather return the HVD2081 for a replacement of the same model. Do they really think I’m going to say “Wow, what a bargain! The first one worked so well I'd love to buy another one!†:)

It’s not even like I’m going to use the player but if they’re going to sell a product that's totally unfit for its purpose and that fails every few days then on principle I’m going to make them repeatedly replace it until they supply a product that works or the warranty expires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED
A HTPC? I never liked the idea which is why I tried the HVD2081 first but sine getting one I’ve been converted. The only problem I’m having with mine poor analogue audio which seems to be due to interference from other components or the power supply. I’m going to try a new PSU first and then maybe an external sound card.

The other drawback is a HTPC is orders of magnitudes more expensive than a cheap Chinese player but at least it won’t break a few months after you put it together.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.