AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Worth mentioning, the A-210 is not new per se, it is nothing more then the A-200 in a new case. The Neo TV 550 is not out in the public yet, and since new products in this market have not faired too well at launch I would be hesitant to recommend until some real world feedback is gathered.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The only reason I "upgraded" to the A-200 from the A1xx series was to get proper playback of blu-ray rips. And guess what, the two main features that were important to me - outputting the core AC3 5.1 stream from TrueHD tracks, and proper handling of *forced* subtitles, still don't work. I'm eagerly awaiting the Netgear to see if it does any better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see that the NeoTV 550 has a Sigma 8642 and the Popcorn Hour A-210 has a Sigma 8643.

I take it that has something to do with the A-210 having less playback format options like Blu-Ray iso. ?

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digz /forum/post/19586066

I see that the NeoTV 550 has a Sigma 8642 and the Popcorn Hour A-210 has a Sigma 8643.

I take it that has something to do with the A-210 having less playback format options like Blu-Ray iso. ?

the c-200 uses the same chip(8643). It does Blu-Ray .iso just fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
macrovision is the difference between 8642/8643.

Τhey are practically the same.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digz /forum/post/19586124

Wonder what the difference is then between the chips and why it is that the A-210 is said to not have Blu-Ray.iso support. ?

This is a licensing issue. The C200 has full BR support and the A210 is basically the C200 but smaller, uses ir remote, support for one internal hard drive. The A210 would make for an excellent player.

As mentioned, the Netgear 550 is not out. It also doesn't support an internal hard drive if that is an issue.

With the A210 you get support from a very large and enthusiastic community of users. Ask yourself if that would be comparable with the Netgear product.

All I know is that I really like my C200 and since the A210 is very similar ( and totally quiet like the C200) I know which I would choose.

philip

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can the A-210/C-200 do subtitle shift on internal subtitles within a mkv-file? I.e. move the subtitle up or down so that I on 2.35:1 movies can move the subtitle to be away from the "black bar" and up in the movie field?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The 550 is out in Europe, and will be out in the US in about 1.5 weeks. Per the thread here on AVS, there seem to be a few issues (moving subtitles correctly, and some users report that certain file types are not playing correctly).

However, there seems to be no problems with full-menu BD ISO support.

Also, is Netflix important? The 550 will have Netflix, whereas the A-210 looks to have a better assortment of other online content available.

The A-210 looks solid, especially after the UI overhaul, but the $169 list price of the 550, with full menu BD ISO support and Netflix have swayed me into preordering the 550.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugatam /forum/post/19584163

The only reason I "upgraded" to the A-200 from the A1xx series was to get proper playback of blu-ray rips. And guess what, the two main features that were important to me - outputting the core AC3 5.1 stream from TrueHD tracks, and proper handling of *forced* subtitles, still don't work. I'm eagerly awaiting the Netgear to see if it does any better.

TrueHD doesnt have a core. DTSHD does.

However, it doesnt downconvert TrueHD as of now since the new SDK. It used to and its something Im sure we'll see again soon

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarOn99 /forum/post/19586494

yes it can

Hi,

Now I bought the A-210 but I can´t get the subtitle shift to work. How exactly do I need to do to get it to move a subtitle from the black bar of a 2.35:1 movie and into the movie itself?

/Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.