Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moderators Note:

INHD has received permission to carry tonight's NESN broadcast of the Baltimore Orioles @ Boston Red Sox MLB game in HDTV. This game has significant playoff implications for the Red Sox, as regular season play draws to a close.

Look for this game on INHD stations across the country, preempting regularly scheduled programming.

In addition, Boston area residents can take advantage of the following public special HDTV event:

NESN AND COMCAST TO HOST HDTV RED SOX GAME VIEWING AT THE PRUDENTIAL CENTER ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 25TH

Bob Rodgers and Jim Rice Host Pre-Game Report Live From Boylston Street Plaza

BOSTON - (September 24, 2003) ? New England Sports Network (NESN), the regional TV sports service, and Comcast join together to bring the first live free HDTV broadcast to the Boston public at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 25th. Bostonians will have the chance to watch the Red Sox take on the Orioles in high definition at the Boylston Street Plaza in front of the Prudential Center. The event is free to the public.

The event begins at 6:30 p.m., as NESN's Red Sox pre-game show, The Boston Globe Pre-Game Report, will air live from the Prudential Center. Host Bob Rodgers will be joined by former Sox slugger Jim Rice on a specially constructed set on the Boylston Street Plaza. Following the live pre-game show, NESN will project its HDTV coverage of the Red Sox vs. Orioles game on a 25-foot wide screen.

The public should arrive by 6:15 p.m. The pre-game report begins at 6:30 and the live game begins at 7:00 p.m. This event is weather permitting.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/aboutus/news/092503/

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AreBee
What better way to see them clinch a playoff spot!
Sitting in Fenway.:p That's the only better way.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Having been a Red Sox fan for some 30 years, isn't it just like a Boston team to have the champagne on ice and ready to celebrate the clinching of "SECOND PLACE" behind the Yankees. This ranks with Mayor Meninos Red Sox parade a few years ago for winning the 1st round of the playoffs. What happens when the Sox win a REAL championship. Let's hope we find out this year!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Incidentally I got a chance to watch the Tuesday night 6-5 game in HD at my newphew's apartment in Malden, and it was very impressive. I just hope DIRECTV finds a way to add NESNHD or INHD for next season. It's a bit pricey to have both Comcast and DIRECTV, and I really prefer DIRECTV.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I think this is more of NESN and Comcast promoting their new HD channel then it is about the Sox getting in the playoffs. Benji don't hold your breath on D* picking up NESN I really don't see it happening for a very long time if at all. Once D* picks up 1 RSN in HD the rest of the country is going to want their's as well and we all know how much room they have left. I agree having both D* and Comcast is not an option it is 1 or the other and right now I have no intrest in going to Comcast.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Since I have not been a Bruins fan basically since B.O. left, the only thing about NESNHD that interests me is the Sox. I may reconsider next spring, but I'm still hoping that DIRECTV will pickup INHD by then. Hey nobody thought DISH would get HDNET and look what happened. Anything's possible.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I agree with everything you said I don't follow the Bruins either they are a joke. I gues INHD is really going to be our only hope in the short term so I will keep bugging Stephanie everyonce in awhile

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Game? What game? It's blacked out again in Phillies country, Harrisburg, PA.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Can someone explain to me why this game is blacked out in the Philadelphia market? Makes me wonder if Comcast won't allow these games the be shown on INHD here if a Phillies game is on CSN. If this is the case, we will see virtually no HD games on In HD next year.

·
Registered
238 Posts
jsb_hbg --

Harrisburg PA is Phillies Country? You may be a Phils fan, but the Phillies don't consider Harrisburg a huge priorty.

WLYH - the Phillies TV station there - doesn't even carry the Philies full broadcast schedule. UPN won't let them. And the Phillies don't seem to care.

I will bet that there are more Orioles games on TV in Harrisburg than Phillies' games. Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, WLYH-TV, WSPC-TV and WJAL-TV all carry the Orioles in or near Harrisburg.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jwhip - see PM

The City of Philadelphia and parts of Montgomery County are getting the Orioles/Red Sox game on INHD from Comcast, so are all of Comcast areas in New Jersey (both north and south).

To be clear, you may be "blacked out" in Chester County, but the majority of the Philadelphia television market is getting the game on INHD.

It has to do with how the satellite receivers are set up and all of the areas they serve, which cross over multiple television markets, add in MLB teams claiming multiple zip codes and MLB broadcast rules and it makes for an interesting scenario.

My sources tell me that this is a temporary problem that will be solved before the start of next year's MLB season. The MLB season on INHD is pretty much over anyway.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
JWhip, I've got in in Camden County South Jersey. Looks real nice. Much different lighting then I'm used to watching at the Vet (or even at the one HDTV game I saw at the Linc).

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I have been to Fenway and love it. Would have been nice to see how it looked in HD and how NESN was covering the game from a technical prospective.

·
Registered
691 Posts
They are officially in the playoffs:eek: :D

The picture is good but could be better with better lighting! Home plate camera is the worst, its very dark. First base and third base cams are very good bright and colorful. The picture doesn't come close to MNF or sunday night football, but its alot better than the NESN sd feed.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by the q
jsb_hbg --

Harrisburg PA is Phillies Country? You may be a Phils fan, but the Phillies don't consider Harrisburg a huge priorty.

WLYH - the Phillies TV station there - doesn't even carry the Philies full broadcast schedule. UPN won't let them. And the Phillies don't seem to care.

I will bet that there are more Orioles games on TV in Harrisburg than Phillies' games. Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, WLYH-TV, WSPC-TV and WJAL-TV all carry the Orioles in or near Harrisburg.
CSN out of Philly is my local RSN. CSN-MidAtlantic is considered and packaged as an OOM RSN by Comcast-Harrisburg. CSN-MidAtlantic has the rights to tonight's game for the Baltimore MLB-defined market. I absolutely refuse to watch the game in standard def. I find it very amusing that this game, at the very least, could not have been shown on INHD within Comcast territories since the Standard Def rights for this game was controlled by a Comcast property.

Of the stations you mentioned, WLYH is in the Harrisburg DMA. WSPC is a property of Suscom Cable and is a cable only channel in York. I don't see why arrangements could not have been made to enable this game to be shown in certain Pennsylvania zip codes. Who wants to see a game in analog as fuzzy as it is via the Moto 5100? Go figure.

·
Registered
238 Posts
CSN Mid-Atlantic was showing the game, but not in HD.

If this was a CSN-MA HD telecast, then the game would have been available on INHD. (This was the case with the 2 games of the Orioles/Yankees series last week).

NESN was showing tonight's game in HD, originating from Boston.

My understanding is that MLB rules (and CSN-MA) won't permit the import of a MLB telecast that is already available on a RSN in your area. That's to protect the local rights-holder (who pay for the rights to televise the game) and the advertisers who pay to be in the game.

This would impact all customers who get CSN-MA, whether they had Comcast or another cable provider.

MLB rules don't care if the game is in high-def or not.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by the q

If this was a CSN-MA HD telecast, then the game would have been available on INHD. (This was the case with the 2 games of the Orioles/Yankees series last week). ...
Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Quote:
The picture is good but could be better with better lighting! Home plate camera is the worst, its very dark.
The home plate camera is worse in SD. Blue halos around the whites and really bad motion trails. God-awful!

But they're in the playoffs!

Manny Ramirez took out a water hose in the locker room after the game. He soaked a camera man who tried to put his body between the camera and the water. I hope it wasn't a HD camera! Then again, Manny could replace it with his pay from two games!

GO SOX!

Magic # is 11!

Ralph

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.