AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Panasonic ShowStopper for about 4 days now. I learned from Replay that I could type in a 3 digit code and hit the zones button to bring up a hidden menu that will allow a forced net connect.

However, after multiple days of trying, I can't connect to the service and I still have the original software. I need to tweak my IR and I can't do it with the current software install.

Can anyone tell me how I can force my unit to upgrade to the new software.

I keep getting, can not connect errors etc ...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Pick another number from the list, there may just be a problem with that particular number. If that doesn't work unplug your unit for several minutes then plug it back up and try again. Also check you phone line connections closely. When you try the net connect pick up your phone and listen in to verify that your unit is indeed calling out by and trying to connect via the modem.

If it's just the software upgrade your having problems with, thats a whole other issue. Plenty of posts about this problem. Search the board to read about them. I don't recall though any solutions being figured out.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well if it did get listings it will only do that again once per day. I'd have to agree with BrettStah just let it be and give it a few more days. The software doesn't come instantly. We've all been through that. If in week if it still hasn't I'd call Panasonic back and see what they say... if it doesn't have guide data then try the other numbers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried listening on the phone and it does dial and the computer on the other end picks up. But no connection is ever established.

I called Panasonic and the tech there told me that the software updates occur over the weekend and that in his 2 years working for the company, he has never seen anyone be able to do an update at any other time.

Not believing him I tried a forced connect download at 12:00 AM, and 2:00 AM during the regular week. (Yes I actually set my alarm to wake me up at 2:00, pretty sad huh.) but it still didn't work at those times. I tried 2 other numbers and that didn't work either.

I can wait for it to automatically try but I don't understand why the option to force a download would be ther e if it doesn't work.

-S

·
Registered
502 Posts
In the dialup setup enter a different phone number say in a neighboring county. This should force a net connect to download new phone numbers. If it does not connect to download the new numbers, then unplug your unit for 5 minutes then plug it back up, and try again. This worked for me when I had the same problem.

Then after that completes go back in to setup and change the phone number back to your area and repeat that process.

Then try the net connect.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well the 243 zones "net connect" is to manually connect to refresh the guide data. I'm not sure I understand if it has ever connected. You will have to stick with a dial-in number that connects and sets the clock, etc. If you push the button called "channel guide" what comes up on the screen?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I press the guide button, I get the guide. For some reason when I unpacked it for the first time, it made one call, got through and downloaded the time and the guide.

Then since then, it has never been able to connect. All connections are solid.

The only thing that I could think of is that I have ADSL. And on the line where I have the Replay plugged into, I am not using a Z-Block. Do you think that not having this filter will cause a problem?

It did connect at least once to get the guide?!?!

-S

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
The only thing that I could think of is that I have ADSL. And on the line where I have the Replay plugged into, I am not using a Z-Block
Yes that can be an issue. One way to find out is this weekend take it to a phone without dsl and do a 243 zones "net connect". The software upgrade may help too and regardless of what you read here a majority of the people do not have trouble connecting as a rule (sometimes the # may change locally or an ISP may be issue :eek: and I'll sure have em all yelling @ me now...) Anyway once you get upgraded and get the blaster tweaked for your Satellite receiver I think your gonna like the thing. It is better than a Tivo and Replay is not always changing things unexpectedly just when you have it working the way you want. Then once warranty is up you'll want to hack the drive and also cool it... Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ken, thanks for the info. I have a couple of questions for you.

1) How does the replay decide what show to record when there are 2 shows on at the same time? For example. I have it set to find JAG and Everybody Loves Raymond. Since that show is on at the same time on the same night, which one will it choose to record and can I controll that?

2) When you mentioned in your earlier post that I can hack and cool the replay. Do you mean that I can upgrade the HD and add a fan? If so, could I put an 80Gig or 100Gig in there ?

3) When you set a record option, it asks you for a "Keep" and if you want to "Guarantee" it. What do these things mean?

4) Do you think that Replay will ever have a software update that will turn on the dish box and then change the channel. My dish box gets HOT and if I have to leave it on all day, every day, I am going to get a little worried.

5) Since ADSL goes thru my whole house, every jack is effected. So do you think that the ZBLOCK is the only option ? Regular phones work and I have dialed out on a modem thru the ZBLOCK.

Thanks a lot for your help. This forum is great !

-S

·
Registered
502 Posts
1) PRIORITIES

What happens when more than one Replay Channel could potentially record something at a given day and time? Obviously, we can only record one thing, so one of them will have to "win". Which one wins is determined as follows:

The highest-priority channels on ReplayTV are guaranteed Show-based and Single-record channels. These are not allowed to be created in conflict with one another, and the intention is that they should always record, barring unusual circumstances like a change in schedule that causes two of them to move into conflict. In this exceptional case, the older channel (the one created first) wins.

The next-highest-priority channels on ReplayTV are guaranteed Theme-based and Zone-based channels (including guaranteed Theme-based channels created via Find all Episodes). These will take priority over any non-guaranteed show, but will not interfere with guaranteed Show-based or Single-record channels. No effort is made to prevent the scheduling of overlapping Theme-based or Zone-based channels. In the event that two or more guaranteed Theme-based or Zone-based channels find matching shows that overlap, but start at different times, the show starting first wins. If two or more shows start at the same time, the winner is the show airing on the lowest-numbered Channel Guide channel.

Next is all non-guaranteed channels. No effort is made to prevent the scheduling of overlapping non-guaranteed recordings. In the event that two or more non-guaranteed recordings overlap, the program starting first wins. (Note that this means that a non-guaranteed theme-based recording starting at 2pm can win out over a non-guaranteed show-based recording starting at 2:15). If two or more programs begin at the same time, a non-guaranteed show-based or single-record channel will take priority over non-guaranteed Theme- or Zone-based channels. In the event that two or more non-guaranteed show-based or single-record channels start at the same time, the oldest channel will win. In the event that two or more non-guaranteed Theme-based or Zone-based channels find programs starting at the same time, the show on the lowest-numbered Channel Guide channel wins.

I previously copied the above from a previous post. Can't remember who it was that supplied this info. Sorry for no credit.

2) You can hack your unit for a larger HD and it would be wise to add a fan while you're in there. However your warranty will be completely VOID. And there are risks and reported failures from tyring this upgrade. And if anything ever happens to your unit after the seal is broken, even something unrelated to your hack, they will not fix it not even for a fee, and even if the warranty has already expired for a fee. Your left with a doorstop if the warranty seal is broken and ANYTHING at all happens to your unit. So this is a risk you take.

3) If you choose the option to record all episodes you'll also get the option on how many episodes you wish to keep before it starts recording over them the oldest one with new episodes.

4) I've read here the software updates are probably over for these models. And just like computer hard drives, they are less likely to fail if they are left on all the time instead of powering up and down. I'm recording stuff every day so mine stays on.

5) Sorry no idea bout this one.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
1) I'm not sure what it always does since I have 3 and I never ask any one to record 2 opposite things. I do know when you set up the second conflicting item it will make you pick one.

2)...80Gig or 100Gig absolutely. And maybe a fan if it's hot. But mostly just get the drive out of the "easybake oven". You'll understand what we mean by that when you open it up but the quantum drive it comes with will do alright as is as long as the rooms not too hot. Give it plenty of room and don't place it on an amp. Might just check to see that you don't smell smoke everyonce in a while. But I would wait your 90 days to open it and even be sure to resolve this connection business before your store return policy is over for obvious reasons.

3) Well this refers to #1 Guaranteeing should give a higher priority. A guaranteed show will reserve space before they even record. In my experience guaranteed recordings will stay on the machine utill I delete them even if the machine gets full (later on you can even extract mpegs files once you open it up).

4) No you must leave it on. That new one doesn't get that hot does it?

5) It already connected once so that is in your favor. Try a netconnect Friday night after Midnight Pacific if it won't even set the time then -- maybe take it so someone else's house without DSL. Just try to get that software update. That download should take about 45 minutes or so and it does seem like it sticks forever on 17% or something so just let it go if you get to that point. Then after that if it is still not working at home mess with the filter. Hey and you should always consider getting a Replay 4000 they are very DSL friendly and starting out at $699 with lifetime service and a ton of other kool features!!! (and no I don't work for them but maybe I should :confused: :D )

Edit: Mossie I didn't even see you up there... I think together we give a (brief) comprehensive overall picture and that's a great answer on #1 since I don't pay much attention to that. Good luck Squeed :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Z-Block filter doesn't allow the unit to dial out. When I removed it and tried to update the guide, the system dialed out and connected with no problem. Apparently the net connect is not the same as the guide update.

So I can now dial out and update the guide whenever I want but I can not connect to download more software.

I am assuming that it is on their end. Replay must block you from updating software unless it is a weekend. I'll see soon.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
That's good to know you found out how to allow it to connect. Yes they do control the spooling of the software... just a traffic flow issue. It will come at the end of the daily call when they decide it's time...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Problems here too. My normally solid reliable unit hasn't been able to connect now for about 3 days. Today I tried the "net connect" (I've done this many times in the past) and for the first time ever, I'm getting a constant "no connect" report.

I've tried several other phone numbers. None work. I've had a ReplayTV since the first month of their release. I guess almost 2 years now. Although I've had the intermittant can't connect in the past, it never lasted more than one day. Anyone else having trouble with both the nightly auto-connects and the "net" connect ??

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich A
My normally solid reliable unit hasn't been able to connect...
Rich A if you think your earthlink # is ok you might try a cold reboot then 243 zones toggle on the memmeter and monitor that throughout an entire Net connect episode. I've found I need to be @ over 190k (120 hour unit) memory headroom to get through the "getting new channels" routine. (Sat. + Cable) but more likely something changed @ your Replay dial-in ISP...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Thanks KenL .. I had forgotten about trying a "hard" reset. That's all it took.

FWIW the CPU usage during the initial connect averaged around 4 percent. During the program information download it averaged around 45 percent.

First attempt at a "net connect" worked fine after the "hard reset".

All is again well in this part of ReplayTV land. Now if they would just hurry and send me my 4000 soon. (yup, got one of those on order too)

Thanks again ..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When you talk about a Hard Reset, I am assuming that you mean, unplug it. I have done that also and the Net Connect still doesn't do anything. I am still on the 2.1 software I think.

Also, just a quick question, does 3.0 change the look of the guide?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Squeed2000
When you talk about a Hard Reset, I am assuming that you mean, unplug it.
Squeed the hard reset is a cold reboot. I'd recommend only this method.

1) Press and release the power button. Green power LED goes out.

2) Wait approx 45 sec to 1 min until you hear the quantum drive go "thunk" then wait @ least 10 more seconds.

(this is spinning down the drive)

3) Cleanly unplug the power.

To finish the reboot wait @ least several minutes then plug back in. It then shows the blue please wait screen (like twice) then powers off by itself. Now you can press power once and you are back in business. Whole thing... cold reboot. Resets a lot of trouble.

The only thing that differs from just unplugging is you want to spin down the drive first and make sure it doesn't lose power until @ about 10 seconds after that "thunk" sound (disk heads parking?) so it can finish doing its thing. The "full" power off period clears a lot of odd e cobwebs from the electronics. I never do the warm/soft reset (holding in the button) and I think it would only reboot the OS without fully resetting other things (and it also seems to wipe a lot of recorded shows on hacked units) so I just don't.

After you upgrade your own showstopper you should (in addition to cooling) give it an Uninterruptable Power Supply to keep it happy. :cool:

Quote:
Originally posted by Squeed2000
Also, just a quick question, does 3.0 change the look of the guide?
Yep some small surprises... think you'll like!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.