AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if net connect has changed or been disconnected. Seems my Replay 3020 has been missing daily downloads due to the servor not answering the phone.

I'm used to missing an occasional download, but when I pulled up the channel guide one day last week I had no info there at all. Makes me wonder if Replay is gradually phasing out service for the older models.

Any feedback is welcome.

·
Registered
416 Posts
No, it's a screw up of some sort. Keep trying. Check to see if there are new phone numbers in your area.

Search threads here over the past 1-2 months for details on many owners problems with connecting.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt (and comforting) reply. I'll attempt to reboot it to pick up any new phone numbers.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Does your replay say it cannot connect each day in the messages?

If so, try either changing the number it dials into or if that didn't work, I would try changing the zip and picking another # so it can dial in once and get any new numbers for your area.

Then put back your real zip and pick a number again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem. (I have a 3020 and I'm in central NJ). I've had this problem for several weeks now.

At one point - I had NO program information at all. I keep getting the message that the computer isn't answering the phone.

I've tried my main number and also 5 other numbers (none of them local). I've tried dialing the area code, with and with out a 1. I tried jury rigging it to dial another number (earthlink access # from list linked to in another post) - nothing. I've tried to change my zip code and force it to look for new numbers - and it can't seem to connect to find the new numbers - that doesn't answer either. About 2 weeks ago, I rebooted the replay unit, and 2 days later, and multiple telephone changes, it answered the original phone number. Now It's gone 5 days without a connection again. And the worst part ?? - I can't access the clawfoot portal to force a netconnect and see if it will work, I have to wait for the next day. For some reason my replay no longer gets to that screen.

Anybody with a solution - let me know!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem as Joanmaries. I just bought my second Replay this week and niether one can connect. The new one connected fine during setup, and the following night, but not again. The original Replay has a totally blank channel guide. I've also tried all the tricks of changing numbers, and changing zip codes, but all with the same results. It can't even dial out to get the new local number for the new zip code. It keeps saying the server didn't answer.

I have two glorified VCR's now. Glad I didn't pay much for the second one.

Craig

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar problem with my showstopper, which I discovered after a few days. After trying to force a net connect to every available phone number, I shut down and unplugged the thing for a few minutes. When it rebooted everything was hunky-dory. Hope this helps!

- Ryan

·
Registered
535 Posts
And if that doesn't work, have any of you having this problem tried connecting the reply directly to the wall phone jack/outlet?

I'm assuming here that you have it split going to the replay. Maybe a long cord? Couldn't this possibly cause a problem if it's split or the wire is very long?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Mine wasn''t working for all day, but I tried around 11:00 local and it worked. Just keep trying I guess. I was getting "the computer didn't answer the phone" message.

Also you should listen in to the connection. Some of the phone numbers I tried were disconnected. -mk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I tried something today that worked, but I won't be sure if it's a permanent solution until I try again.

Up til now, I've been getting the "server won't pick up the phone" message. I ran across a previous post that suggested placing 2 pauses (,,) in the prefix of your telephone number. Lo and behold, when I did that I got a connection. It still wouldn't update, but it was an improvement over not getting anything at all.

Genius that I am, I figured...what the heck...if I can get a connection with 2 pauses, maybe I can get a download with 3.

It worked.

Don't know if it'll keep working, but I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it. For now, at least, I'm current.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Unplugging the unit does work. I was getting the message, "computer did dot answer the phone". I don't know why unplugging would work, but it did. It seems to be the cure all, but I can't figure out how rebooting the unit would get the replaytv server to answer the phone. -mk

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
what happens if you simply dial up the connection number on your telephone? Does anything/anyone pick up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the same problem - no guide info and couldn't even connect to Replay's 800 number. Spoke to Replay tech support yesterday afternoon ( about a 14 minute wait after all the prerecorded messages) and he advised two possible cures:

1. Unplug for about an hour then reboot - didn't work !

2. Reset to factory defaults ( 777-zones). This worked fine however clears all recordings / settings etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't look forward to losing my settings, but I'm glad you took the time to find a solution.

Good looking out! Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correct - I couldn't connect to anything !! I read all the AVS forum posts and tried all the fixes without any luck. Replay's support technician said if the "factory default" reset didn't cure the problem that it might be a bad modem. Didn't like losing all the recorded shows but the units working fine now and updating without any problem.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a similar problem; sometime last week, I kept getting "unable to connect" messages. It turns out that the phone number was no longer working (I kept getting one of those "fast busy signals" when I dialed the number on my phone). For whatever reason, no matter what other number I tried to dial - even when I tried to force a dialing of the 800 numbers to see if the local numbers had been changed (it turned out they had), my ReplayTV box wouldn't connect (it would try to connect for 13 seconds, then give up and redial).

Add one to the "unplug the unit for 15 minutes or so and the modem starts working again" list - it connected to the list of phone numbers, and I selected the new local primary number, which worked fine. (I wonder if the repeated attempts to connect to a number with a perpetual busy signal screwed up the connecting procedure somehow.)

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had the same problem and tried everything (or so I thought), I forced it to get new numbers an still no go.

Finally after 40 min. of being frustrated I held the Power button for 4 seconds and did a forced reboot. when it came back on I did a net connect and viola, no problems since. No setting lost and all is well.

Good Luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.