AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry, but I wasn't sure where to post this. I have several 3D movies on Blu-ray, but it always seems to be 3D through a window which is my TV. I thought that's just the way it was supposed to be. The Blu-ray laser died in my PS3, so for movie night the kids wanted to watch A Turtle's Tale on Netflix. We hadn't tried streaming 3D before, so we did.

The difference was night and day. There was all sorts of stuff popping out of the screen instead of it being in the TV. Everybody in my family of 5 noticed this immediately and the kids started clambering in the air at the fish. This makes me wonder if I have something setup incorrectly somewhere. I've since replaced the laser unit and it's working again, but I'm not sure where to start.

I would presume the TV settings are fine as the only thing that changed was the source, even though the PS3 was still being used for both streaming and disc viewing. Does anybody have any ideas of what I can check? The only thing I can think of is buying the same movie on disc and seeing if I can reproduce the same effect to confirm it's just how the movie is and not my setup.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
The PS3 doesn't do pop out as well as most BR players. I have seen fixes in settings like disabling secondary audio or some thing like that helps but I am not sure what the fix was you'll have to search for it. A Turtles Tail has the most pop out of any 3D move made so it definitely has a lot to do with the movie. I just bought a stand alone BR player and it solved it for me as I Wanted Dolby True HD that the PS3 can't do.

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
The PS3 doesn't do pop out as well as most BR players. I have seen fixes in settings like disabling secondary audio or some thing like that helps but I am not sure what the fix was you'll have to search for it. A Turtles Tail has the most pop out of any 3D move made so it definitely has a lot to do with the movie. I just bought a stand alone BR player and it solved it for me as I Wanted Dolby True HD that the PS3 can't do.
A Turtle's Tale has a lot of pop-outs while most 3D movies are through a window.

You should compare the movies you have on disc :)
Yes, this 3D Blu-ray title is one of the very bests (if not the best) for 3D effects (pop outs). ...So comparing streaming with this BR would be fair.
* I don't know about the PS3, but folks here seem to do.

And usually the vast majority of people are saying that the Blu-ray disc looks and sounds better than streaming the same flick from Netflix.
...2D, and I guess 3D too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Netflix has 3D? That's news to me! How do you enable it and what devices can you use to stream it?
If you are accessing Netflix through a 3D enabled device (3D BluRay player or 3D 'Smart' TV) then there should be a category just for 3D that you can scroll through like there is for "Newly Released", "Because You Watched ....", etc. There aren't too many choices available, but... better than nothing :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
This Netflix (3D) in the USA only?

Dunno about Canada Bob but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I got a Sony 5100 brp about a year & a half ago just to get access to it (there are very few devices that even offer it). Even then there was very little 3D that was worth viewing & I'd already bought or rented those. Since I already had 2 3D players & had problems with the 5100 I sent it back. From what I understand there's even less content now. You ain't missin' nuttin'. ;)

Ed

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Yesterday I was googling around; in trying to find out about Netflix 3D list of titles available here in Canada. I couldn't find anything, nothing @ all Ed.
That's why I asked here; to see if someone knew more than what it is not accessible when googling around. :nerd:

* Happy Easter.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
and probably mostly kids movies

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've looked for 3d on Netflix, and it doesn't show up as a category. I only get a few hits when I do a search for 3d, and they don't seem like relevant hits... or is that all there is? Oh well. Maybe one day.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I try to play them on my PS4 and they only play in 2d, I have 2 3D TV's.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've looked for 3d on Netflix, and it doesn't show up as a category. I only get a few hits when I do a search for 3d, and they don't seem like relevant hits... or is that all there is? Oh well. Maybe one day.
I wish Netflix would just post an online list of whats available. I was debating on whether to get it for 4k content but it was hard to find anything about what was viewable without acutally signing up for a netflix content. I guess its a good business model

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.