AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Aside from being built into smart tvs, has anyone heard of any standalone boxes or players that will support Netflix 4K this year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
It appears the Nuvola NP-1 may start shipping soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Boner  /t/1523598/netflix-4k/0_60#post_24511169


Aside from being built into smart tvs, has anyone heard of any standalone boxes or players that will support Netflix 4K this year?

You could look into the Nuvola NP-1. I started a thread on it here . I can not find anyone who owns this device. It may join the ranks of the Redray that has been "Temporarily unavailable" forever
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland  /t/1523598/netflix-4k#post_24511334


It appears the Nuvola NP-1 may start shipping soon.

You could look into the Nuvola NP-1. I started a thread on it here . I can not find anyone who owns this device. It may join the ranks of the Redray that has been "Temporarily unavailable" forever
Ever since you created that thread, I have been checking up on it periodically and there hasn't been much of a development. It looked like a great product on paper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
I'm also very interested in a standalone player for 4K Netflix content, i seem to remember that i read somewhere about Netflix having plans to offer their 4k content in other platforms. Can't remember where i read it though..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I haven't heard anything yet.


My guess is that it would be a very low priority to make standalone devices right now since the 4K market is very small and you most likely won't be able to buy a 4K TV without Netflix already built in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonAVS  /t/1523598/netflix-4k/0_60#post_24517965


My guess is that it would be a very low priority to make standalone devices right now since the 4K market is very small and you most likely won't be able to buy a 4K TV without Netflix already built in.

The other way around, only certain brands and models for 2014 will be able to do it. There are some POed early UHD TV adopters because they learned their new UHD sets will not stream UHD Netflix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland  /t/1523598/netflix-4k#post_24518644


The other way around, only certain brands and models for 2014 will be able to do it. There are some POed early UHD TV adopters because they learned their new UHD sets will not stream UHD Netflix.

The new/upgraded one connect box for the Samsung F9000 (last year's UHD) will provide capability for Netflix UHD (new Netflix app, h.265 support, and more powerful processor) plus HDMI 2.0, etc. That is consistent with their prior advertising and the new boxes would keep the set current with technology. Of course, Samsung will probably be charging something like $350 for the upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,288 Posts
Don't know about the other manufacturers; but the newly released 2014 Samsung 8550 and 9000 should do the job. That was the point of their signed agreement/partnership with Netflix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
For now 4K Netflix is a exclusive to certain UHD TV sets like LG, Samsung and Sony. I'm not sure if your 4K Seiki set has built-in HEVC decoder. Does you Seiki able to download Apps? You'll probable have to wait until external devices with 4K Netflix. I'm pretty sure the PS4, XBONE will be able to at some point later other than that I don't think any current Blu ray players with Apps will have enough power to play back HEVC files
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,899 Posts
No reason why the Win8.1 Netflix App couldn't do 4k now, but I'm sure those hardware companies paid for exclusivity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
938 Posts
I would hope so, though the specs don't mention the hevc codec needed to decode the netflx feed. I'd like to see some kind of 4k lifeline for ll the early equipment that was based on HDMI 1.4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I've been chatting with Cox bouncing my modem, checking settings, for about two hours now. Three different Netflix guys all unable to solve the problem until the last guy, Rod, asks this question: "Which Season of House of Cards are you watching?" about 19 minutes into our little chat.


Dear Netflix: When a customer has a chat with you about not getting House of Cards in 2160p, here is the first question you ask: "Are you watching Season One?"


And if they say "Yes", you say "We're really sorry for our mind-numbingly stupid user interface graphics which say Ultra HD 4K everywhere, even when starting an episode of Season One, because it turns out that Season One is only 1080p and if you wouldn't mind trying an episode of Season Two then we can see if 4K works there"


And lo and behold Season Two plays 2160p like a charm.


Fortunately, I have a very nice 18 yo single malt waiting to be opened and perhaps in a few hours we can have a good laugh about it all.


So far it is turning out to be a very nice drink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland  /t/1523598/netflix-4k#post_24518644


The other way around, only certain brands and models for 2014 will be able to do it. There are some POed early UHD TV adopters because they learned their new UHD sets will not stream UHD Netflix.

The new/upgraded one connect box for the Samsung F9000 (last year's UHD) will provide capability for Netflix UHD (new Netflix app, h.265 support, and more powerful processor) plus HDMI 2.0, etc. That is consistent with their prior advertising and the new boxes would keep the set current with technology. Of course, Samsung will probably be charging something like $350 for the upgrade.
Sony has a similar box due out for it's previous year's UHD TVs and its 4k projectors.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top