AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is a new one. After being subject to the well-documented tendency of Netflix to intentionally delay availability for users that rent too many movies, I left. Later, tired of the local video shop (big Hollywood titles only) and buying (space, $$) I went back to Netflix. Twice, in fact, over a couple of years.

Now something new. I have only rented 14 – including the ones currently out – since November yet half my queue is wait-listed and has been that way for the past month. Even funnier – the top choices are wait listed. I rearrange the queue to put something available on top and the next day – it too becomes wait-listed.

I actually don’t mind 6 movies per month, as long as they’re the ones I want to watch. This, however, is pushing things. My theory is Netflix actually believes I am trying to game them by leaving and returning, so they are trying to prevent that by gaming me first. Funny thing is, I’m not. I’m just looking for a decent alternative to see movies I don’t want to buy but do want to enjoy – independent and foreign, mostly.

Any thoughts on this? What Netflix is up to, should I do something, and if so, what?

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
564 Posts
That's funny. I've don't have any problem getting independent and foreign movies. I've averaged 8 movies per month for the past four years and all the movies in my queue are available "now."

If you post the names of the movies, I'll add them to my queue to see what my availability to them would be. If I see a "long wait" too, it might just mean that they don't have many copies of the movies.

--Burke

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Burke

Three that are wait-listed right now are

Spellbound

Swimming Pool

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I've joined and quit NetFlix 4 or 5 times over the last 5 years or so. But whenever I rejoin, after the first 30 days, I get the old waitlist problems I had when I quit.

The last time I signed up, I used my wife's name - but all the other info was the same. That seemed to do the trick - the wait list problem went away. If you resign up under your old account, it looks like your heavy user karma follows you. Sign up under another family members name and all is forgiven.. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
mbpg

The movies you've listed are all "hot" right now... just issued on DVD this week or last and probably in high demand. I think whether there are copies available depends on your Netflix distribution center. Different locations will have different demand and availability. I would not be surprised if titles released in the last week or two were not available.

Let me share with you a strategy I have developed. If you want a title being issued on Tuesday, you need to return a film Friday or Saturday and have the desired title first in your queue. Your return will then be received Monday or Tuesday and, generally, Netflix will send you the newly released title. I have found that if you don't get a "hot" title as it is issued it can take several weeks before it becomes available. Of course, that depends on how long folks hold on to the disks.

I also suspect that if you request a title in advance, by putting it in your queue, Netflix can measure demand and will know how many copies of that title to make available. I hope this helps with your problem.

I have been a Netflix customer for years, rent 10 or more titles each month, and have not experienced any problems I can describe as attempts to delay delivery. I have noted that they seem to process their incoming mail more slowly -- at least at the Santa Ana distro center, which services my area. Otherwise I think they have a dynamite service. I would recommend it to anyone!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
I've joined and quit NetFlix 4 or 5 times over the last 5 years or so. But whenever I rejoin, after the first 30 days, I get the old waitlist problems I had when I quit.

The last time I signed up, I used my wife's name - but all the other info was the same. That seemed to do the trick - the wait list problem went away. If you resign up under your old account, it looks like your heavy user karma follows you. Sign up under another family members name and all is forgiven.. :D
Crazy -- good tip. Also nice to know I'm not the only one. Funny how a problem seems less important when other's suffer it as well :)

Rick: I'm not sure. First, on mailing, I've read in the forum about a slow turnaround, but I know I have local problems with the post office, 'cause I have problems with magazine delivery as well. Also, on queue, the "short-wait" thing tends to happen to movies once they hit #1 in queue, so now I play around with the queue order starting a couple of days after returning a movie. These movies are recent releases, but certainly not "hot" as in blockbusters.

I'm tempted to either try crazy's suggestion or try another rental service. Trouble is, wal-mart seems to be the leading alternative and I don't care to business with them. Oh well.

Thanks and regards, Michael

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbpg

Three that are wait-listed right now are

Spellbound

Swimming Pool

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Regards, Michael [/b]
I have 175 movies in my queue right now and less than 10 have any kind of wait. I added all three of these movies to my queue and all three have a long wait. As someone previously mentioned althought these are not blockbusters they are new releases and if you don't get them on Monday or Tuesday when they are released it can take a few weeks or more.

BTW, I got Swimming Pool and Once Upon a Time in Mexico from Netflix when they were released, you're not missing much with either one of them.

:)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dtaylor

BTW, I got Swimming Pool and Once Upon a Time in Mexico from Netflix when they were released, you're not missing much with either one of them.

:)
Except for Charlotte Rampling's bush !

·
Registered
564 Posts
I just added all three.

Spellbound = Short Wait

Swimming Pool = Short Wait

Once Upon a Time in Mexico = Now

I thought I was a pretty heavy renter, but I guess you rent more than me.

If you haven't seen it, here is the great "Analysis of Netflix's DVD Allocation System"
http://dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com/

For new movies like these, I put them at the top of my queue and return one or more movies on Saturday or Monday before they are released. I've had great luck getting them on the Tuesday they are released.

BTW. I liked Swimming Pool

--Burke

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
FWIW, I do *at least* 12 movies/month on Netflix and haven't had any waitlist problems. Maybe there's just less of me in my area.

Brian

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I just added OUATIM and it is listed as a short wait.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
even if you are a heavy user and get put on the slow track, its should only take 30 days to get off of it if you've cut back your usage. When I first started out I was turning 16-20/month and quickly got into the netflix penalty box. But backed off a bit as the "new" wore off. within a month, I was out of the penalty box.

I just wish they were up-front about this process. It may be a great marketing story to say "as many as you want" but its kind of a lie. Funny thing is even if it was limited to, say, 20, I'd still be a customer. selection and convenience are worth it.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RickinEsc
mbpg

The movies you've listed are all "hot" right now... just issued on DVD this week or last and probably in high demand. I think whether there are copies available depends on your Netflix distribution center. Different locations will have different demand and availability. I would not be surprised if titles released in the last week or two were not available.

Let me share with you a strategy I have developed. If you want a title being issued on Tuesday, you need to return a film Friday or Saturday and have the desired title first in your queue. Your return will then be received Monday or Tuesday and, generally, Netflix will send you the newly released title. I have found that if you don't get a "hot" title as it is issued it can take several weeks before it becomes available. Of course, that depends on how long folks hold on to the disks.

I also suspect that if you request a title in advance, by putting it in your queue, Netflix can measure demand and will know how many copies of that title to make available. I hope this helps with your problem.

I have been a Netflix customer for years, rent 10 or more titles each month, and have not experienced any problems I can describe as attempts to delay delivery. I have noted that they seem to process their incoming mail more slowly -- at least at the Santa Ana distro center, which services my area. Otherwise I think they have a dynamite service. I would recommend it to anyone!
I do the exact same thing, works 95% of the time. Sometimes they'll even ship the new releases on Monday's (day before release date) and I'll get them on Wednesday. Even if I watch the dvd on Wednesday, I won't put it in the mailbox until Friday since I don't want it getting there too early. To everyone here, give it a shot, it works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by taz291819
I do the exact same thing, works 95% of the time. Sometimes they'll even ship the new releases on Monday's (day before release date) and I'll get them on Wednesday. Even if I watch the dvd on Wednesday, I won't put it in the mailbox until Friday since I don't want it getting there too early. To everyone here, give it a shot, it works.
OK, since the cat is out of the bag :)

This works pretty consistenly. 95% sounds pretty accurate. It decreases with new criterions since you're going against the enthusiasts like ourselves on those.

I usually got the new releases on Tuesdays since they sent them on Monday. Depends on how many new releases I want for the next week, I may return some on Wednesday. For example, if I got 4 on Tue and I have 3 that I really want for next week, I may return 1 on Wed. There's around 25% chance that Netflix will get it on Thurs, I'll get it on Fri, ship it back on Sat, and Netflix got it back on Mon. The reason why most of the time it doesn't work is Netflix doesn't always send the discs from the nearest distribution center. As a comparison, they almost always send new releases from the nearest dist. center.

I don't expect this to work all the time, especially now with more people doing it. My suggestion to Netflix is to come up with some ways for people to "buy-in" their way to the front of the queue. It doesn't necessarily means asking for more money for us. This is similar to Disney's Theme Park and Six Flags way to allow you to jump in front of the queue by tying this ability to a limited resource. For Disney, it's time. For Six Flags, it's money. I like Disney's better - not just because I'm a miser, but it just makes more sense. Netflix should give everyone some amount of "trump" cards every month that you can use to mark the ones that you really really want. The plans with more discs out at a time will get more trump cards.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I signed up at the end of December and was happy to see the closest distrib center was literally 2 miles from my house. For the first 6-8 movies or so I had exactly one day turn around.

Day 1 Order movie

Day 2 Receive movie and watch

Day 3 return movie (dropped in mailbox AT the post office main hub)

Day 4 Flix acknowlege receipt and send next movie.

Now that I'm at the end of my first month (I reached about 10 movies because I was on vacation for a week), I do suspect that they have me in the "slow down buddy" cue. It's been working like this lately:

Day 1 Order movie

Day 4

Day 5 SOMETIMES Flix acknowlege receipt if not the next day.

Obviously there really is no way to prove that they really received it while their system is buffering the receipt status except for the fact that it was like clockwork for the first 6-8 movies. I'm sure it's not a coincidence that it was during the trial period either. I'll see how it goes this month by documenting the mailing dates in detail. Even if their process gets me down to 6-8 movies a month, there is no local operation that comes close to that price for rentals.

Bobby

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I canceled my membership last year because of the queue inconsistencies. My neighbors would have everything available "now" and all my movies would have some kind of wait period. I gave up when I couldn't get any new movies.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
While they are still pretty quick about acknowledging returns, and shipping a movie out, anything even REMOTELY popular is long wait/very long wait for me. I'm going to open a new account under my wifes name/card and try and see what she gets when I put these "popular" titles on her queue, as a new member.

Something smells fishy about this long wait thing, I think there's something other than first come first served going on here.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby_M
I signed up at the end of December and was happy to see the closest distrib center was literally 2 miles from my house. For the first 6-8 movies or so I had exactly one day turn around.

Day 1 Order movie

Day 4 Flix acknowlege receipt and send next movie.

Now that I'm at the end of my first month (I reached about 10 movies because I was on vacation for a week), I do suspect that they have me in the "slow down buddy" cue. It's been working like this lately:

Day 1 Order movie

Day 4

Day 5 SOMETIMES Flix acknowlege receipt if not the next day.

Obviously there really is no way to prove that they really received it while their system is buffering the receipt status except for the fact that it was like clockwork for the first 6-8 movies. I'm sure it's not a coincidence that it was during the trial period either. I'll see how it goes this month by documenting the mailing dates in detail. Even if their process gets me down to 6-8 movies a month, there is no local operation that comes close to that price for rentals.

Bobby
I signed up for the 5 out program and immediately everything got slow.

Their distribution center is less that 8 miles from my house and

now it has went from a one day turnaround to sometimes 2-3 days

both ways. I signed up with Walmart and got 4 movies (new releases)

in 1 day from their across town (40 miles) distribution center.

I have canceled the 5 out program back to 3 and if Walmart will

deliver without foot-dragging I am going to say bye bye to Netflix.

They may have just lost a loyal customer and someone that recommends

them to others.

If they have a maximum monthly rental rate to be profitable then they

should tell their customers what it is, instead they pull this annoying

slowdown trick. That is just dishonest to me and I despise any

company playing games with their customers.

b2b

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I have two separate accounts going now, one is brand new. I have noticed:

1) They are getting slower at processing returns, for old and new accounts. This is probably because they are getting overloaded. They don't seem to actually PROCESS returns from high activity accounts any slower than those from low activity accounts.

2) They DO have a priority scheme that HARSHLY punishes high activity accounts. If your account is old/high activity, you will NEVER be given a title unless the supply for that title exceeds the demand. Anything for which demand exceeds supply will remain long wait/very long wait for you until such time as demand is reduced, or supply increased. New/Low activity accounts can usually get most any title.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.