AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that shifting the blame is the name of the game for Netflix and major movie studios. When it comes to the crop controversy that flared up last week, there is still no definitive answer as to why the Netflix catalog is inconsistent when it comes to "letterbox" presentation of movies.

Sometimes, cropping to a 16:9 aspect ratio can make a character disappear.

"Super 8" example taken from " What Netflix Does "

After a Tumblr blog called " What Netflix Does " pointed out that some wide-aspect Netflix catalog titles were not presented in their original aspect ratio—a post that quickly became a news story—the company responded by claiming, "We don’t crop." In fact, a Netflix spokesperson went further, claiming that Netflix wants to show movies in the original aspect:
Quote:
"We want to offer the best picture and provide the original aspect ratio of any title on Netflix. However, unfortunately our quality controls sometimes fail and we end up offering the wrong version of a title. When we discover this error, we replace that title as soon as possible." — Netflix

I thought that response was the end of the story, but the truth might be a bit more elusive. A recent article on Flavorwire titled " Netflix, Studios Have Very Different Explanations for Widescreen Cropping " makes the point that studios only aim to fulfil the wishes of their customers, providing whichever format gets requested.
Quote:
"That’s understandable; these are delicate relationships, and no one wants to rock the boat (even Netflix’s statement doesn’t explicitly throw the studios under the bus). But one studio source, speaking to Flavorwire under the condition of anonymity, told us that they deliver content according to the specifications requested by their partners. So it’s not just that Netflix is saddled with whatever the studios give them; they’re often getting exactly what they’re asking for." - Flavorwire

Does Netflix request widescreen-presentation movies in a 16:9 cropped format? Although there are no official statements to that effect, "What Netflix Does" continues to post examples of popular movies with cropped presentation.

It may well be that Netflix decided to follow HBO instead of Showtime when it comes to standard policy regarding cropping films. Showtime made a big deal out of its original aspect ratio presentation of films, while HBO chose to use nothing but 16:9 aspect versions of films for TV broadcast.

I wanted to see the cropping for myself. I headed over to Tumblr and found the most recent example for U.S. Netflix – Super 8, directed by JJ Abrams and produced by Stephen Spielberg. I can confirm it is cropped.

Personally, I am opposed to cropping for 16:9 format. It seems that Netflix is not yet on top of things concerning original aspect ratio. Is Netflix the wrong place to expect a cinematic experience that is consistent with the director's artistic vision? Or is it just a matter of bringing these "mistakes" to its attention?

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

·
Registered
850 Posts
Cinemax is showing oar of man with iron fists hbo is showing oar of magic mike epix does oar of lionsgate and mgm content. Older paramount movies are oar. Netflix needs to take a page from amazon vudu and cinema now. They don't care about oar just original tv shows.

·
Photographer
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82  /t/1483567/netflix-and-film-studios-quibble-about-crop-who-is-responsible#post_23575566

Cinemax is showing oar of man with iron fists hbo is showing oar of magic mike epix does oar of lionsgate and mgm content. Older paramount movies are oar. Netflix needs to take a page from amazon vudu and cinema now. They don't care about oar just original tv shows.

Then Netflix probably should not have released the statement, claiming it does care and wants to "fix this error."

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I wonder if the studios price things to netflix differently? (think rental disc with advertisements vs full retail version).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have Netflix (or any other streaming service), but from what I've read, I blame the studios, after all, THEY are the ones providing the source material to the company.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Given Netflix's track record in relation to their shinny disk customers, why would anyone expect them to have a better attitude toward their streaming customers. Their business plan is plainly aimed at the lowest common denominator.

The Netflix disclaimer has holes big enough to drive an air craft carrier through. The studios statement does too. Netflix wants to pay as little as possible, and the studios want to charge for each viewing.

It may be that the DVD/Blu-ray era will be looked at as the Golden Age of home movie viewing.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert71292  /t/1483567/netflix-and-film-studios-quibble-about-crop-who-is-responsible#post_23576433

I don't have Netflix (or any other streaming service), but from what I've read, I blame the studios, after all, THEY are the ones providing the source material to the company.
It takes two to make a deal.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits  /t/1483567/netflix-and-film-studios-quibble-about-crop-who-is-responsible#post_23576610

Given Netflix's track record in relation to their shinny disk customers, why would anyone expect them to have a better attitude toward their streaming customers. Their business plan is plainly aimed at the lowest common denominator.

What's wrong with their track record? I've never had any major issues, and in fact all the discs I've rented have always been in the correct OAR.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslug  /t/1483567/netflix-and-film-studios-quibble-about-crop-who-is-responsible#post_23578188

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits  /t/1483567/netflix-and-film-studios-quibble-about-crop-who-is-responsible#post_23576610

What's wrong with their track record? I've never had any major issues, and in fact all the discs I've rented have always been in the correct OAR.
I'm referring to their business plan, not to how they deal with individual problems. They appear to be trying to accelerated moving everyone to streaming. The clearest example was the attempt to spit the web site into two separate sites -- shinny disks and streaming. The studios have the same objective.

The aspect ratio or audio of disks at Netflix are, for the most part, fine. I've read posts about "rental" versions with the lossless audio tracks deleted but I've never experienced it myself. In those cases, my assumption is that the owner studio is responsible.

I've been a shiny disk renter and recommender at Netflix since December 1999 and think it's a great disk service. I also see that they and the studios are in a hurry to dismantle that service.

·
Registered
15,673 Posts
As I've said before, I've experienced that Netflix will also sometimes compress a program's audio even further, so it isn't even at DVD quality. Amazon's audio quality of the same program, albeit also in Dolby lossy audio, does not seem to have this issue. In fact, Amazon usually has a higher video bitrate than Netflix. I'm not saying Amazon or streaming services are perfect... I'll say that they've started to arrive when they can show 1080p content with the EXACT quality of Blu-ray in terms of both audio and video.

However, it won't happen because they have to get the streams down to single digits because of the atrocious state of internet infrastructure. Even the H.265 codec is not at its best with HD content at single digits.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts

Never used Netflix, and probably never will. So I couldn't care less what they do to movies. Until the studios can deliver content directly, I'll continue to buy or rent their discs from my local video shops.

·
Registered
15,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU  /t/1483567/netflix-and-film-studios-quibble-about-crop-who-is-responsible#post_23587716

Never used Netflix, and probably never will. So I couldn't care less what they do to movies. Until the studios can deliver content directly, I'll continue to buy or rent their discs from my local video shops.

And be prepared to pay through the nose for your troubles. No competition breeds greed.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman  /t/1483567/netflix-and-film-studios-quibble-about-crop-who-is-responsible#post_23587731

And be prepared to pay through the nose for your troubles. No competition breeds greed.
Competion can actually fuel greed.

·
Registered
15,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet  /t/1483567/netflix-and-film-studios-quibble-about-crop-who-is-responsible#post_23591012

Competition can actually fuel greed.

On what planet?

·
Photographer
17,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman  /t/1483567/netflix-and-film-studios-quibble-about-crop-who-is-responsible#post_23591698

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet  /t/1483567/netflix-and-film-studios-quibble-about-crop-who-is-responsible#post_23591012

Competion can actually fuel greed.
On what planet?

The one Lance Armstrong lives on.

·
Registered
15,673 Posts
I think it's not so much competition in the big monied sporting world as power hunger. The prevailing attitude that in order to be the best, you must cheat. Hmmm... that seems to have leaked into my next discussion below.

When there is healthy competition in the goods and services sector, that sparks innovation and growth. Here you want competition, though the big multi-nationals no longer see it this way (be the only one standing and you can basically do whatever you want to whomever you want). Which leads us to the severe problems we face today. Of course, healthy competition in sports is good too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts