AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay part of the reason I was excited to get an HD player (besides the great picture and stuff) was that I could rent them from Netflix-because let face it- the're not cheap to buy all the time-at least not as cheap as SD discs. But for the life of me I cannot get Netflix to send me any HD discs! Everything is long wait-I've had movies like Miami Vice on my que since they came out-I couldn't even get Christmas vacation in time for the holiday-so I canceled it. Right now I have like eight HD movies in the top of my que-and they are all bypassed every week without fail. I dunno- is this a sign that HD is really possible-or is it just me. Just curious as to how others are making out with this.

thetman

·
Registered
1 Posts
So far Netflix has been pretty quick to get the HD titles I select to me. I had an issue with Training Day, but that was a cracked disk, so not really their fault. They sent me a replacement immediately when I called.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've already posted like 10 times trying to warn people to stay away from NetFlix if it's HD-DVDs that you want. Some people seem to not have troubles, but many others have decided that their service is no where near worth what they charge. When you factor in the hassle of receiving SD discs when you order HD discs, receiving damaged discs and discs never arriving, it's just not worth it. NetFlix knows that their days are numbered. That's why they announced the limited launch of their internet download service this week. The business model must not work to buy enough movies to meet all of the customer demand in an expeditious manner and still make a profit. Then, what are they supposed to do with all of those expensive discs once the demand subsides. I just don't think that it's a sustainable business (and investors obviously agree, check out their tanking stock).

·
Registered
529 Posts
After seeing my list of HD movies in the queue with a "very long wait' and not able to recieve even those with a "now" status, i got sick and tired of waiting and decided to cancel my Netflix account. Im not even a heavy user and still i was getting about 9 movies a month for the past 3 months, some of them were just SD DVDs. Then also the 4-5 day for a movie to be shipped from california was the icing on the cake (im in CO).

Netflix was great for the first 3 or 4 of the total of the 7 months i was with them. Now im with BB online and hope they will do better. I do have a BB store near my location so i guess it works even better for me since i can just take my movies and return them there quickly.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have not had a single problem with HD DVDs from Netflix. I've had one long wait for A Devil Wears Prada in Blu-ray but that's it. I think people have to understand that this is a NEW format and they don't have the same number of HD titles in stock as they do with SD. To me, their service is 100% better than Blockbuster online when it comes to high def content.

I've been with Netflix for almost seven years and have had few complaints.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've have in my queue:

Miami Vice

Clerks 2

Crank

all listed as very long wait

The Guardian

Gridiron Gang

Jet Li fearless

are listed as released on Jan 23rd.

I'm on the 3 out at a time program and my at home queue is empty

·
Registered
239 Posts
Maybe if I return them a bit sooner youll get your movies.

I have 3 tha have been sittin gat home since first week of jan.

All my hddvds say long wait or short wait but theyve always come proptly as expected so far.

Only once did it skip over but it came on the very next que return.

Netflix isnt trying to miss out on the DL part of movie distribution. If they do it well theyll be far more succesful at it than other sites. The money theyd be saving on postage is tremendous. To top that they already have the second most if not THE most popular name in movie rentals. Blockbuster is still best known but the service and popularity of it sonline service is not near that of Netflix.

·
23,039 Posts
Same issues and replies, different thread.
Bottom line: if you don't like the service, quit and go elsewhere. I have trouble getting SD DVDs I want so waiting for HD-DVDs is nothing new or different. I have no problems getting enough of either type to keep my cost at about $1.50 a disc. I've been getting 1-2 hidef DVDs per week. Pretty good deal to me.

larry

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUserName22 /forum/post/0

Then, what are they supposed to do with all of those expensive discs once the demand subsides. I just don't think that it's a sustainable business (and investors obviously agree, check out their tanking stock).

Sell them at a strong discount to your members like Gamefly?

Anyways in this case I'm the lucky one. Not having any issues. I will give some leeway when I do have a problem, bad disk, wrong disk. But other then that it's quick for me and working. Does it have to do with where you live and what branch sends movies to you? If so then it's going to vary wildly, imo.

I have 90 HD DVD's in que and 15 are on wait. Fearless shows for me still but not released until the 23rd.

Also worth noting I'm not a "new release hound". I did quit them back in the SD DVD days when I was, sure I'll have them on the list but not living or dying by that. Yeah for that you might have a problem as everyone has them in their que. You get a little older, hopefully a little wiser and don't feel the need to see the latest new movie release and it all works out. It's not like I'm having out of body experiences watching a Jan 2007 movie compared to a July '06 movie. There are good and bad movies released all the time.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I'm a new Netflix customer and am already starting to get the "delays" everyone talks about...the first few exchanges were super quick...the last few movies that are said to be available are shipping from the far reaches of the country...I live in California and yet they have to ship my movie from Florida?

·
Registered
142 Posts
In over two years of being a Netflix customer, I have received ONE bad (cracked) disc. I have received probably a handful of DVDs scratched enough that they caused occasional stuttering, but still watchable. The last few months I've been receiving HD-DVDs, and I have been receiving them on schedule with no delays, except for Fearless, which dropped out of the queue for a while (it's back now). I have not had playback issues with any of the HD-DVDs I've received from them.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My Waiting list. Have had these movies on there for a couple weeks. I'm hoping netflix has some way of knowing I am waiting on these films, and that they can see who else is waiting and use this to judge how many new titles to buy to meet demand. Then there's the HD-DVD's they just don't carry for some reason and fearless is still coming soon.

There's about 2-3 days between the time I drop a disc in the mail and the time I get a new one, so I can't complain about that.

You, Me and Dupree

PG-13 Comedy Long Wait HD DVD

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

R Comedy Long Wait HD DVD

Firewall

PG-13 Thrillers Long Wait HD DVD

Serenity

PG-13 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Long Wait HD DVD

Lucky Number Slevin

R Thrillers Very Long

Wait HD DVD

Witness for the Prosecution

UR Classics Short Wait DVD

Sunset Boulevard

NR Classics Short Wait DVD

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesH /forum/post/0

My Waiting list. Have had these movies on there for a couple weeks. I'm hoping netflix has some way of knowing I am waiting on these films, and that they can see who else is waiting and use this to judge how many new titles to buy to meet demand. Then there's the HD-DVD's they just don't carry for some reason and fearless is still coming soon.

There's about 2-3 days between the time I drop a disc in the mail and the time I get a new one, so I can't complain about that.

You, Me and Dupree

PG-13 Comedy Long Wait HD DVD

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

R Comedy Long Wait HD DVD

Firewall

PG-13 Thrillers Long Wait HD DVD

Serenity

PG-13 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Long Wait HD DVD

Lucky Number Slevin

R Thrillers Very Long

Wait HD DVD

Witness for the Prosecution

UR Classics Short Wait DVD

Sunset Boulevard

NR Classics Short Wait DVD

Cool we can compare. This is what I was saying about "parts of the country"

Using your titles, in my que right now:

You me dupree - NOW

kiss kiss - NOW

firewall - Long Wait

serenity - Short Wait

Slevin - Long Wait (just released)

Don't have the other two on my list as they are DVD's, but I added Sunset- Now and Witness - Now

Interesting.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually I think I have had maybe one or two discs that would not play well (SD discs)-and lately I have been getting the SD releases pretty quick (like crank, descent) not all recent releases right away but most. Some I never got (march of the peguins-was long wait for like 2 months). But HD discs I can't seem to get one, oh well, at least I'mnot alone in this -and didn't think I was. As for BB-I don't have a store near me at all-so going there is out of the question. Never tried their online service-so can't comment on them, but I joined Netflix so I didn't have to go any store. I am on the 3 movie plan.

thetman

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.