AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a financial presentation, Netflix said that 2008 will probably be the year that live streaming will come to Macs. There is not much detail in the story, but this should be good news to Mac Netflix customers.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Announcing something is easy. When it ships then I'll be happy. At this point my bet is they'll use Silverlight for the underlying technology. That should allow them to keep using Microsoft's DRM but deliver to Macs (and maybe even Linux users).

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
What's interesting here isn't that there aren't DRM systems for the Mac, the are no "studio approved" DRM systems (presumably Silverlight excepted). I find that the fear of the studios of DRM being broken hilarious, when by definition, all of the Netflix stuff is freely available on DVD with its totally broken DRM. Well lets hope it happens.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further /forum/post/12928384

I won't take that bet, but I'm positive that however they do it, DRM will be involved.

I don't see why this is a potential deal breaker. I HATE DRM on content that I'm buying, I don't mind it at all for a rental-type service. My primary concern with DRM is maintaining long-term access to content I own. With a rental service, so long as the DRM isn't overly cumbersome, what is the problem?

I'm already a Netflix subscriber and I've used the streaming service a few times on my Windows laptop, but I'd use it a lot more if it was available on my HTPC mac.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 /forum/post/12928692

I don't see why this is a potential deal breaker.

I never said it was a deal breaker, just that it was sure to be included. I can't use Netflix so this is a no-deal for me anyhow.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
From Netflix: "In the meantime, you can use your account to watch instantly on any compatible PC, and Intel-based Macintosh computers can watch movies instantly using Boot Camp, Parallels, or Fusion to run Windows." Relevant?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does netflix streaming work decently well on an Intel mac using parallels? I might take the jump back to Netflix again in light of their BluRay availability and the possibility of streaming....comments anyone?

·
Registered
824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj /forum/post/13163353

Does netflix streaming work decently well on an Intel mac using parallels? I might take the jump back to Netflix again in light of their BluRay availability and the possibility of streaming....comments anyone?

I use Fusion/XP on my Mini, allocating 256MB of ram for Windows. Netflix streaming is better than decent. I have 6 MB internet and use an HDMI connection to a 61" DLP. Video quality is excellent if the source is good, and most of their movies are good transfers. Often better than SDTV cable movies.

However, I expect they are years away from streaming HDTV quality movies.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thread was started to discuss the announcement by Netflix that live streaming would likely come to customers with Macs sometime this year. The fact that Mac can run Windows is old news and that Windows can use the live streaming is very old information. It is also off-topic in this forum.

Let's keep the discussion to the Mac OS and not repeat old information please.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj /forum/post/13163353

Does netflix streaming work decently well on an Intel mac using parallels?

A co-worker did just that (with vmware). On his 56" DLP, but the video quality was awful. Blocky and pixelated I believe were his comments. I haven't tried it, so YMMV.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since there is no Mac specific news yet, I am closing this thread. When something changes, I will reopen it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.