AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post....I had been streaming NetFlix thru my 1.5 year old Samsung BD player. I recently purchased a new LG Plasma 50PZ750 and have noticed the buffering time between the two devices is enormous. The Sammy BDplayer usually takes 30 seconds (10 seconds to show quality and then 20 seconds to buffer). The LG TV can take over 2 minutes to buffer (and the annoying thing is the lack of quality indicator and the actual progress bar only shows any progress in the last 5 seconds or so). So what is an average buffer time for Netflix?

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermr2 /forum/post/20779787

My first post....I had been streaming NetFlix thru my 1.5 year old Samsung BD player. I recently purchased a new LG Plasma 50PZ750 and have noticed the buffering time between the two devices is enormous. The Sammy BDplayer usually takes 30 seconds (10 seconds to show quality and then 20 seconds to buffer). The LG TV can take over 2 minutes to buffer (and the annoying thing is the lack of quality indicator and the actual progress bar only shows any progress in the last 5 seconds or so). So what is an average buffer time for Netflix?

If the quality bar is half or three quarters full it will buffer faster. An HD title will will fill the quality bar, an SD title will fill about 80% of the quality bar.

If my internet is working good on an HD offering my buffer will fill in about 10 to 15 seconds. Panasonic DMP-BD65 Bluray player. High speed cable.

·
Registered
398 Posts
How fast is your internet connection? Anyone else using the internet when you stream movies? You should do a test of your internet speed by using speedtest.net . I have 1u/8d mb cable connection. Normally it takes less than 10 seconds for an HD or SD movie to start playing. I stream using XBox 360 and get full bars indicating the best quality picture.

·
Registered
984 Posts
From the point I press play on netflix it takes 10 seconds(5 seconds start to finish with the loading bar) to start the video. Where my 360 is located and the low wifi signal where it is at provides about 10-15mbps download speed(connection is 30mbps fiber).

edit: This is for HD stream.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I timed my PS3 starting a HD stream of Stargate SG-1 season 9 on Comcast 12 mbps: a little under 4 seconds to start video after hitting play.

The downside (not sure if this affects other devices?) is often the first few seconds of the show will be in SD, then it rapidly switches to HD. But I wish there was an option to force it to start in HD.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Using my Panasonic DMP-BDT350 to connect to Netflix, it took about 4-5 seconds after pushing the PLAY button until the HD movie started. It didn't start in SD; it was full HD from the very beginning.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2828 /forum/post/20793502

I timed my PS3 starting a HD stream of Stargate SG-1 season 9 on Comcast 12 mbps: a little under 4 seconds to start video after hitting play.

The downside (not sure if this affects other devices?) is often the first few seconds of the show will be in SD, then it rapidly switches to HD. But I wish there was an option to force it to start in HD.

Some of the players, including the PS3, feature adaptive bit rate technology which will smoothly switch to lower-bit-rate/lower-PQ encodings when available bandwidth on your connection to Netflix's servers dips and back to higher-bit-rate encodings when things improve (note that connection bandwidth is distinct from the rated speed of your network service). The PS3 leverages that ABR tech to acheive typical stream start times of 1-3 seconds by starting out with a crappy-but-low-bit-rate-and-quickly-buffered encoding and ramping up from there. If you're starting from the beginning of a title, it'll have reached the highest bit rate encoding that your connection can handle long before the title sequence is over. Microsoft's Zune Video does the same on the Xbox--they call it "Instant On".

I like it--I'd rather have a few seconds of bad PQ than wait several more seconds for the stream to start.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I had some streaming issues on TWC 15mbps down connection. Took a bit long to start as well as drop to SD during the movie. This was extremely annoying!

Upgraded to 30mbps down a few weeks back and it's been smooth as butter. No drops to SD yet on the PS3 and starts up almost instantly. A little strange to me that in order to get the best experience, you need a somewhat high end internet connection.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT /forum/post/20795866

A little strange to me that in order to get the best experience, you need a somewhat high end internet connection.

Even that won't guarantee it--people with high end service run into problems (myself, with 25 Mbps Cox cable modem service, included). High traffic between you can Netflix' servers or the servers themselves being overloaded (which shouldn't happen since the cloud service should load balance but I think it occasionally does) can slow things down.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not true, I have an 1u/8d mb connex and have no problems streaming netflix in HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT /forum/post/20795866

A little strange to me that in order to get the best experience, you need a somewhat high end internet connection.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus2112 /forum/post/20796687

Not true, I have an 1u/8d mb connex and have no problems streaming netflix in HD.

I don't think your Xbox does 1080p.

On the PS3, X-High denotes 1080p. I had issues holding that stream on my 15mbps connection. Could be due to the fact that the node was overloaded before they rolled out DOCSIS 3.0 in my area.

I have DOCSIS 3.0 now and like I said it has been smooth as butter. No drops in picture quality yet.

Again, this is just my experience.

·
Registered
347 Posts

Quote:

I am wondering if your player has any internal buffer memory. If it does that would explain why your player plays the show faster than your TV. Most TV's do not have any internal memory or buffer memory, so they will take longer to load a movie from Netflix. Internal buffer memory will make a HUGE difference in any Netflix connected device. With internal memory in a device, the internet stream is not really an issue. Some devices allow you to plug in an external flash drive into a USB port and the player uses that flash drive as the buffer memory. You can see if your LG TV has the ability to use an external flash drive and if it can does it use the flash drive as a buffer.

·
Registered
347 Posts

Quote:

I doubt the problem is with your internet connection. If your player plays a movie in 30 seconds, your internet connection is not the issue. I think your TV just does not have the internal buffer memory or lack of processing power to load a Netflix movie. This is why it takes over 2 minutes to load. My friend has an 47 LG TV and he has always complained Netflix takes forever to load a movie.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It does not take that long to stream movies on my panasonic HDTV. Its about the same time as the 360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 /forum/post/20798609

I doubt the problem is with your internet connection. If your player plays a movie in 30 seconds, your internet connection is not the issue. I think your TV just does not have the internal buffer memory or lack of processing power to load a Netflix movie. This is why it takes over 2 minutes to load. My friend has an 47 LG TV and he has always complained Netflix takes forever to load a movie.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 /forum/post/20798609

Yeah it is not the internet connection. Laptop, desktop, phones, and BD player all load in under 30 seconds. The girlfriend and I did a LOST marathon yesterday and some episodes took about a minute while other took almost 2 minutes. I think it is just the TV however, VUDU, HULU+, and Amazon all load almost instantly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefRev /forum/post/20793907

Using my Panasonic DMP-BDT350 to connect to Netflix, it took about 4-5 seconds after pushing the PLAY button until the HD movie started. It didn't start in SD; it was full HD from the very beginning.

This is nice to know as I have a DMP-BDT210 arriving tomorrow.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermr2 /forum/post/20801442

This is nice to know as I have a DMP-BDT210 arriving tomorrow.

The BDT350 was the top of last year's model line (like the BDT310 is for this year) and its Viera Cast Netflix player may not be the same. The BDTx10 models use this one (those pics are from a PS3 but the player is identical). How long it takes to start is going to depend upon available bandwidth on your connection to Netflix (not the rated speed of your service). My BDT110 usually starts with a little SD, ramping up from there.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermr2 /forum/post/20803635

That is the exact same netflix player I have on my lgl tv.

It's a player based on HTML5 and Webkit that Netflix is pimping. I think that it gives complete control of the GUI to Netflix and that they can dynamically change it at will. When it first came out, there were 4-6 distinct versions of it running on PS3s (see this ). I started out with the one that I posted a link to above on my PS3 (which is still on my BDT110); now I have this one:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Devices with different implemented capabilities are using it. It supports 5.1 sound and closed captions/subtitles, but if your device doesn't support one or the other or both they just get grayed out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well my BDT310 arrived two days ago and the buffer time is closer to 10-15 seconds for Netflix on the same DSL connection. Much better than the TV buffer time of 1 to 2 minutes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts