AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55inch LG E8 OLED 4KTV and I love it. And I've gotten the terminology down, with 4K being the amount of pixels on the screen and Dolby Vision/HDR10+ being the color gamut aka the quality of the colors. There is no DV/HDR10 with 1080p, only with 4K. So in theory, if I see DV, I expect it to be in both 4K and have superior HDR, compared to just 4K. And therein lies the rub.

On Netflix, when I stream The Umbrella Academy, or a few other shows, I see the Dolby Vision logo. This means that its 1) In 4K and 2) Colors are superior HDR compared to just regular 4K HDR. While these shows look good, they just look like better versions of HD. Theres not a huge difference. Yet when I watch Planet Earth 2, I see the '4K Ultra HD' logo. Since Dolby Vision logo isn't shown, by definition (right?), I expect this to be visually worse then DV programs. WRONG. Planet Earth 2 is the very reason, the killer ap, of 4K. Holy ****, I cannot get over myself how clear, amazing, and absolutely stunning everything looks. This is what 4K was meant to be.

How can this be happening? If DV is so touted to being "4K but better", why are DV shows and movies always inferior to the one program that is apparently not abiding by it?

I know the problem isn't with the app or the streaming hardware. I tested the Netflix app from both the 4K Firestick and the native app in my tv. Via both devices, PE2 always crushed the other DV shows.

Specs:
-55LG E8 4KTV
-FireStick 4K HDR
-Netflix 4K subscription package
~100mgps internet
~Namaste

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 55inch LG E8 OLED 4KTV and I love it. And I've gotten the terminology down, with 4K being the amount of pixels on the screen and Dolby Vision/HDR10+ being the color gamut aka the quality of the colors. There is no DV/HDR10 with 1080p, only with 4K.
Star Trek Discovery begs to differ... This is 1080P with Dolby Vision on Netflix (in regions outside US).

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Well I cant get Dolby vision through my roku yet for Netflix however HDR is available.I had issues with the dark picture quality of a number of early HDR presentations however in the last month or so newer HDR picture quality seems to be improving.Umbrella academy and The Order had excellent picture quality on my Sony A8F Oled through Roku Ultra.I stay away from the Netflix app in my Sony but tested it once since I can get dolby Vision through it and it looked pretty much what HDR looks like on newer Netflix releases. The app is just not as stable as getting Netflix through Roku

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have a 55inch LG E8 OLED 4KTV and I love it. And I've gotten the terminology down, with 4K being the amount of pixels on the screen and Dolby Vision/HDR10+ being the color gamut aka the quality of the colors. There is no DV/HDR10 with 1080p, only with 4K. So in theory, if I see DV, I expect it to be in both 4K and have superior HDR, compared to just 4K. And therein lies the rub.

On Netflix, when I stream The Umbrella Academy, or a few other shows, I see the Dolby Vision logo. This means that its 1) In 4K and 2) Colors are superior HDR compared to just regular 4K HDR. While these shows look good, they just look like better versions of HD. Theres not a huge difference. Yet when I watch Planet Earth 2, I see the '4K Ultra HD' logo. Since Dolby Vision logo isn't shown, by definition (right?), I expect this to be visually worse then DV programs. WRONG. Planet Earth 2 is the very reason, the killer ap, of 4K. Holy ****, I cannot get over myself how clear, amazing, and absolutely stunning everything looks. This is what 4K was meant to be.

How can this be happening? If DV is so touted to being "4K but better", why are DV shows and movies always inferior to the one program that is apparently not abiding by it?

I know the problem isn't with the app or the streaming hardware. I tested the Netflix app from both the 4K Firestick and the native app in my tv. Via both devices, PE2 always crushed the other DV shows.

Specs:
-55LG E8 4KTV
-FireStick 4K HDR
~100mgps internet
~Namaste

Planet Earth 2 in HDR10 on 4k disc is superior to the 4k SDR Netflix stream. You can't compare different shows. They are filmed differently. Apples and oranges.

Also, there are a few more 1080p shows and movies in Dolby Vision. The Godzilla animes, Knights of Sidonia anime, Cloverfield Paradox, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle. And forgot Next Gen animated movie and Blame! anime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Planet Earth 2 in HDR10 on 4k disc is superior to the 4k SDR Netflix stream. You can't compare different shows. They are filmed differently. Apples and oranges.

I'm not talking about Disc. All content I consume is streamed, I don't own a disc player.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think the issue here is not with Dolby Vision vs Ultra HD, it’s simply the way the films were shot. Planet Earth 2 is kind of the gold standard for shooting in 4K. Not sure if it’s the cameras they use or the editing or what, but it looks amazing compared to other content whether you stream it or watch via disk.

·
UHD Addict
38,243 Posts
If you watch Star Trek Discovery on Netflix using a Nvidia Shield TV, it displays in HDR.
Nothing displays as Dolby Vision on the Shield as it doesn't support it.
But it displays in HDR. Which in the case of the Shield TV is HDR10.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Specs:
-55LG E8 4KTV
-FireStick 4K HDR
~100mgps internet
~Namaste
your comparing different sources im sure pe2 dv would look amazing not as amazing as you might expect but none the less amazing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts