AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a director releases a movie filmed at 2.35 aspect ratio, I want to see it at 2.35 aspect ratio. But on HBO I am seeing the movies presented in 1.78. What's worse, Netflix DVD/Blu-ray is renting out discs with 1.78 aspect ratio for movies filmed at 2.35.

Look at these screen shots from the Netflix-DVD page for the 2015 movie "Trash." If I rent the DVD I get 2.35 aspect ratio. But if I rent (the supposed to be better format) Blu-ray I get 1.78.

Can someone explain to me what's going on? Is the ONLY way to be assured you see the movie how the director intended is to buy the disc, which is financially impossible if you want to watch more than 1-2 movies a month?

DVD vs BLU-RAY

·
Super Moderator
16,252 Posts
If a director releases a movie filmed at 2.35 aspect ratio, I want to see it at 2.35 aspect ratio. But on HBO I am seeing the movies presented in 1.78. What's worse, Netflix DVD/Blu-ray is renting out discs with 1.78 aspect ratio for movies filmed at 2.35.

Look at these screen shots from the Netflix-DVD page for the 2015 movie "Trash." If I rent the DVD I get 2.35 aspect ratio. But if I rent (the supposed to be better format) Blu-ray I get 1.78.

Can someone explain to me what's going on? Is the ONLY way to be assured you see the movie how the director intended is to buy the disc, which is financially impossible if you want to watch more than 1-2 movies a month?

DVD vs BLU-RAY

Netflix has been known to be wrong on many occasions. According to HDD, Trash on Blu-ray is 2.35:1. I have never seen NF have a different aspect ratio for rental discs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Netflix has been known to be wrong on many occasions. According to HDD, Trash on Blu-ray is 2.35:1. I have never seen NF have a different aspect ratio for rental discs.
What is "HDD"? Is this a website that lists aspect ratios?

·
Super Moderator
16,252 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Resurrecting thread, 3, 2, 1...

I buy all the movies I care about on blu-ray for this specific reason. I'll watch casual movies on HBO/netflix/prime but movies I care about I'll shell out the money even if for a one-time view. Can't stand to watch cropped movies of 2.4:1 material...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts