Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RENTING:

Have been thinking about using Netflix. for $20 a month you get "unlimited" amount of rentals. I guess it all depends how fast you watch them and return them. Anyone use them and think good deal or bad deal for rental option?

Also, saw post asking about reviews and thought no better review than to see if yourself.

BUYING:

IF netflix is good deal and you decide you like film - do they sell previewed DVDs? DVD buying seems to be a pretty expensive hobby if you pay full price and nowhere seems to sell DVD at cut rate. Anyone have suggestion here either?

Many Thanks....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have been using NetFlix for 3 years and I love it. I just rent DVD's, never bought any.

They are very reliable and have a great selection of DVD's.

George

·
Registered
549 Posts
Depends on your viewing habits... er-r-r... pattern. I and my significant other used to be Blockbuster/Hollywoodvideo daily visitors. Then we moved to Netflix, mostly because of much, much, much wider choice. I'm still kinda missing that feeling, when i walk along the stends, touching boxes and trying to hear my inner voice - this movie? Or that one? ...but there is not much we left untouched in our neighbouring rentals.

Among the online rentals Netflix is, hands down, the best for typical viewing. And, by the way, the only one having multiple processing centers nationwide - that speeds up turnaround big time. Some competitors, like FilmCaddy and GreenCine, might have comparable, or, in some departments, even better selection. No one has better overall value.

As far as I know Netflix does not sell used DVDs. I assume they are losing enough of them in other ways.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I too have enjoyed Netflix for about 4+ years. I would only caution you about one thing. When you set up an account with them and make your list of movies you have to time your returns in order to receive some new titles when they first come out. What I meen is this, say a new movie is going to be released on the 5th of March, If it is going to be a hot title (everybody wants to rent it) then it will go fast and you may be waiting for a copy for days, sometimes weeks. You will want to return one of your movies so it arrives at Netflix on say March 4th. They allow users of thier service to ship out new movies ahead of time because of the time it takes to get to your mailbox. If they only let thier users ship out the new movies when they released then you would get the movie 1-2 days later, as everybody else would be renting it at their local Blockbuster/Hollywood Video the day of the release. This is not really a big deal though, they still have the best selection with the best price, I was one of the early users of this service and was getting 4 movies for 19.95, then I cancelled for a brief period and lost that deal.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Another vote for Netflix.

I started out with their $20 a month program and was able to hit 12-15 movies per month. That works out to $1.50 per DVD rental.

I have since upgraded to their $30 a month program, giving me 20-25 movies per month.

I'm very happy with their service.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been using netflix for two months; the attraction obviously is much wider choice than local B-busters-Hollywood stores in all categories. Price wise is OK, better than in the stores, but not dirt cheap, considering shipping time. If you try to make turnaround as fact as you can (watch the same night as received and send back the next day) you can get about 12 movies a month at best, which for 20 bucks is a pretty good deal. In reality there are different delays, sometimes it takes a week for disk to arrive (even my local netflix center is about 20 minutes drive from me). Once I have not received disk at all and have to report it as lost (you have to wait for 6 days before you can do that) and wait for replacement, once disk was not playable and again it is another waiting for new one. Should say that most disks are OK which was surprise to me considering they are shipped in the regular envelopes. If you keep a disk for few days, you might be getting 6-8 disks per month or less. This may still beat the blockbuster price, or may not.

The main attraction, in my opinion, is wide selection, although itÕs not unlimited, but very good. If you like classical, foreign, arty movies, that is the way to go. It may not be as good for new releases hunting. Bottom-line, it all depends of your watching habits and tastes, and it is worth to try without any doubts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Note: The turnaround time (and therefore the number of movies you can get for your $20 a month) is determined by two things:

1. How fast can you 'view' them and return them

2. The location of your nearest distribution center.

I live in Long Beach and my nearest distribution Center is only 10 miles away, which shaves a day off the shipping out AND return shipping.

Your mileage may vary.

With regards to new movies: Today, I have received Secondhand Lions, which was released, I believe, today...

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I just joined for the trial membership today. I didn't see anything about specifying Widescreen titles, is there a way to do that? I don't want them sending me Full Screen. That's why I switched from BB to Hollywood, Hollywood has almost exclusively WS versions.

·
Registered
276 Posts
There is, to my knowledge, no way to specify widescreen vs fullscreen.

You get what they happen to have.

I have had a few double-sided discs, where you had a choice.

Most of the other discs were all widescreen, as far as I can remember so far.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have had it for 4+ years. Am on the highest level of service - 8 movies at a time. I love it. I have talked 20-30 others into the servie as well. Everyone loves it.

I always receive WS versions. I do not remember ever getting a P&S movie from them if WS was available.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I tried 3 different services before settling on Netflix. I am also on 8 movies at a time. Nothing else is even close. What I like about them:

- Turnaround time

- Short time to delivery - because they have so many distribution centers

- The choice and ready availability

- The Web Site

- Quality of DVD's

- Their clockwork like operation - no mistakes

- Prompt notification of shipments and receipts

- Customer service

You have to deal with so many ****** companies nowadays. Its a pleasure to deal with a high class operation like Netflix.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've been on Netflix since the beginning and it's awesome. It's so nice not having to go to the video store and stand in line! I've only gotten a couple full screen movies and that was because it's the only format they come in. Netflix shows you the format when you click on the movie, and they always get the WS version.

John

Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonian
I just joined for the trial membership today. I didn't see anything about specifying Widescreen titles, is there a way to do that? I don't want them sending me Full Screen. That's why I switched from BB to Hollywood, Hollywood has almost exclusively WS versions.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was a member for a while but found that the turnaround time was pretty slow. Out of about a dozen DVDs that I rented only 2 of them arrived on or before their estimated delivery date. When I returned movies I was generally returning all three at one time. Even though they were going to a PO Box in town (Cleveland), there could be as much as a 3-4 day gap between the time they showed receving the first DVD until the time they received all of them. As I only have time to watch movies on weekends, and when I put them in the mail on monday they almost never got anything to me before the next weekend, "unlimited rentals" for me meant 6 a month.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dponeill,

It used to be much slower for us in MI as well. But with the new (year or two ago) distribution center in Lansing, we always have a movie on hand. It may be worth another look since you are close to the distribution center.

Fast turn around

Professional service

Some punished DVD's, but quick to replace

A decent selection of foreign flicks

Good supply of new releases -- much better than in the beginning

Excellent review pages and recommendations engine

The queue is a nice place to keep track of movies you want to see

Netflix is my friend.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Slightly different but very positive view: I must have been one of their first customers, but I am on their minimum system, four a month, $13.95. Occasionally I blow thru that in two weeks, but then I try to remember to go out to the movies - sometimes a 40' screen is better than an 8'.... And sometimes it takes me two weeks to get around to viewing a disc - try that with BB. Great turnaround time for me.

But the queue, which only Martin notes, is the greatest feature of all. I have about 60 movies in mine. Anytime I hear of something I want I stick it in, and the same goes for any movie I want to see in the theater but can't get to (you can put any current movie in your queue for when it is released). With good queue managment, you can't go wrong!

Finally, the reviews - the overall average is a pretty good gauge, especially the differences between 3 stars (the average) and 4 stars (good). I never look at any individual reviews.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree with jaz50y.

I have 230 movies in my queue, so I can always manage the new releases and yet never go without something to watch :D

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I'm a newcomer to Netflix. Their service is efficient. One word of caution.

I struggled along with local video store rentals, and found that more than half of their disks would freeze. Signed up with Netflix -- almost the same result (nearly half would freeze). Then I took their "worst" disk into Costco and tried it on the in-store players -- no problems!

Moral: Don't expect your older (more expensive?) players to handle rental DVDs well. The new ones are generally much more forgiving (even the $50 ones).

I guess it comes down to how wide-ranging your tastes are. Personally, I would rather spend a hundred bucks to watch sixty movies than purchase six or seven.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The BEST thing about Netflix?????

NO LATE FEES!!!!!!!

So no pressure to watch the movie before a given time if your schedule gets crazy. It also leaves plenty of time if you decide to watch the extras included on the DVD, PLUS- no anger due to the GOUGING done by b.buster, etc for late fees, and no attitude from patronizing employees.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys - youve sold me - i'm signed up.

not one real complaint. pretty impressive feat if you ask me.

regards....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.