AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched recent National Geographic "Migrations" episode via Netflix. I thought the HD quality was excellent. Probably not up to network standards, but still very good. Has anyone tested Netflix HD streaming to compare quality to other sources, such as cable or satellite?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
From what I've tried, the picture quality is good but not great by any means. It looks ok on my 50" TV, but somewhat soft on my 110" home theater screen. My internet connection is fast so that's not the problem. The biggest problem for me is the lack of closed captions (or subscripts) on any of their online content. For one who relies on captions to augment my poor hearing, this really sucks. They promised quite some time ago that they would be adding them, but so far - nothing. So, I've gone back to the physical DVD's via mail.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 /forum/post/19583261

From what I've tried, the picture quality is good but not great by any means. It looks ok on my 50" TV, but somewhat soft on my 110" home theater screen. My internet connection is fast so that's not the problem. The biggest problem for me is the lack of closed captions (or subscripts) on any of their online content. For one who relies on captions to augment my poor hearing, this really sucks. They promised quite some time ago that they would be adding them, but so far - nothing. So, I've gone back to the physical DVD's via mail.

They are offering it on the PS3....on some titles. Not sure it's on any other devices (I know I see it quite frequently on the PS3, but not my XBOX, unless I don't know where to look, but I use the PS3 anyways).

I am very happy with it (streaming between 5 and 10 titles a week, give or take). Looks awesome on my 50"...for the most part. Obviously there are some exceptions.

Lots of discussions on the link posted above and elsewhere: big thread in the PS3 and XBOX forums....more recently the PS3 since they released the app with captions/1080p/5.1 last month

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
I've watched a few HD titles from Netflix on my HD Tivo. They were approximately the same quality as an average Comcast cable channel, better than the DVD but not the jaw-dropping quality of the Blu-ray.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I've got it on PS3 now but I've never looked into streaming too much. I tried streaming "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (foreign version) and it was so god-awful macroblocked on my TV, I quit 10 minutes in and put it on my blu-ray queue.

So I just popped over to Netflix. I'm not seeing a lot...well ANY...HD streaming content. Is there some "HD" symbol to tell what's streamed HD??? I'd like to give it a try.

·
Registered
10,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 /forum/post/19584429

So I just popped over to Netflix. I'm not seeing a lot...well ANY...HD streaming content. Is there some "HD" symbol to tell what's streamed HD??? I'd like to give it a try.

Under "Streaming details" you'll see "Available in HD".

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 /forum/post/19584429

On the website, one of the genres for filtering the videos is "HD" (odd way of accessing them... you can watch action, comedy, drama, or HD!)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Netflix has a good number of films from the 30's-70's available for streaming in HD, but the overwhelming majority of films that where released in the past 5 years are only available in SD. Most of the "recent" content available in HD are TV shows, not movies. What's up with that?

·
Registered
19,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 /forum/post/19586206

Netflix has a good number of films from the 30's-70's available for streaming in HD, but the overwhelming majority of films that where released in the past 5 years are only available in SD. Most of the "recent" content available in HD are TV shows, not movies. What's up with that?

If all the newer movies went to Netflix in HD nobody would watch cable/sat, etc.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
i have been trying Netflix for a few weeks now and everything i streamed has been labeled "HD". Some looks very good but most looks like dvd quality.

as they grow so will their streaming titles and quality.

IMHO there is not enough streaming content to justify me pay 8 buck a month. I have watched about seven movies, a few tv shows and i am having a hard time find anything good to put in my queue. (still alot of DVD only titles)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Didn't realize that there was another forum for "streaming". Since this forum was for HDTV Programming, I thought it fit. Thanks for the direction.

With the low entertainment quality of most cable and network content and the urge to avoid all possible commercials, I find myself going to Netflix via Roku more and more. Plus, with the great ratings system, I can pretty much trust anything with 3 1/2 to 4 stars or above will be enjoyable. When considering On-Demand and HBO/Encore movies available, I often visit Netflix website to determine if the star rating indicates I would enjoy it. All this for a mere $8 a month, versus the $100 I pay for Comcrap with the scores of channels I never ever turn to.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl /forum/post/19584754

Under "Streaming details" you'll see "Available in HD".

Well way to put it in a not obvious location, Netflix. How about the standard, boxed HD symbol or something? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr /forum/post/19585451

On the website, one of the genres for filtering the videos is "HD" (odd way of accessing them... you can watch action, comedy, drama, or HD!)

Oddly, that genre is not on my phone menu. Will have to check the PS3.

·
Registered
10,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 /forum/post/19591384

Well way to put it in a not obvious location, Netflix. How about the standard, boxed HD symbol or something? LOL

They don't want you to care which movies are in HD since so few are and they're not selling it as an extra service.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
With the old app on my Samsung C5500 when you streamed a video it indicated in the bitrate bars if the stream would be served in HD. The new app does not (unless this is one more thing broken on the new app with the C5500).

·
Registered
10,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 /forum/post/19591384

Here's another reason they don't promote HD: you might not get the feature in HD the entire time. If your stream burps it will drop down to DVD quality. I haven't seen it recover back to HD after that.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts