AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

We purchased the 65F8000 this weekend and so far, we're extremely pleased!

But, for some reason, Netflix looks terrible on this set. Here's our set-up:


Comcast STB > HDMI1

Comcast STB Dig Audio Out > Samsung BD/HT Dig Audio In

Samsung BD/HT > HDMI 3


Blu-Rays and DVDs look great but, Netflix via the BD player looks terrible. I prefer to stream Netflix thru the BD player vs the TV App so I can enjoy the sound thru the HT speakers.

Any suggestions?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,232 Posts
Is there no way to connect the tv audio to your other gear (make & model on your other gear would help if you're not sure)? Is this HD Netflix? The only time I have poor picture quality from Netflix is on SD content.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellest  /t/1518501/netflix-issue#post_24373540


Hi Guys,

We purchased the 65F8000 this weekend and so far, we're extremely pleased!

But, for some reason, Netflix looks terrible on this set. Here's our set-up:


Comcast STB > HDMI1

Comcast STB Dig Audio Out > Samsung BD/HT Dig Audio In

Samsung BD/HT > HDMI 3


Blu-Rays and DVDs look great but, Netflix via the BD player looks terrible. I prefer to stream Netflix thru the BD player vs the TV App so I can enjoy the sound thru the HT speakers.

Any suggestions?

You didn't say that the Netflix video looks better from the F8000 app; but I will assume it does since you are asking your above question.


Haven't used any of your gear; although my 65F9000 is probably similar to F8000. Did take a quick look at your inputs on the Samsung BD/HT. Your STB is using the digital audio input on the BD/HT. However, I believe both F8000 and BD/HT have HDMI (ARC). Therefore, you should be able to use the Netflix app on the F8000 and feed audio to the BD/HT via the HDMI (ARC). Suggest you read your owners manual on how to output from the HDMI (ARC) on the F8000 and how to select HDMI (arc) on the BD/HT.


Hope this helps or someone with more specific knowledge of your equipment gives something more specific.


Finally, Netflix quality is frequently more of an issue with your internet connection than the equipment itself. If you aren't getting at least a 720P Netflix feed (hopefully 1080P), your video won't look that good. The "info" button on my F9000 remote provides the current HDMI input and resolution on the top of the screen. You can check that for the quality of your Netflix feed if the BD/HT isn't upconverting. If you are using the F8000 app, the "info" button should definitely provide incoming resolution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I initially connected the optical out from the TV to the input of the HT-C5500 Blu-Ray player, but apparently the TV is not capable of passing thru 5.1 surround sound, so i reverted to STB > BD player for optimal sound.

I'll check on the resolution when I get home today, but I'm pretty sure it was HD, (Expendables 2).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb  /t/1518501/netflix-issue#post_24373693


You didn't say that the Netflix video looks better from the F8000 app; but I will assume it does since you are asking your above question.


Haven't used any of your gear; although my 65F9000 is probably similar to F8000. Did take a quick look at your inputs on the Samsung BD/HT. Your STB is using the digital audio input on the BD/HT. However, I believe both F8000 and BD/HT have HDMI (ARC). Therefore, you should be able to use the Netflix app on the F8000 and feed audio to the BD/HT via the HDMI (ARC). Suggest you read your owners manual on how to output from the HDMI (ARC) on the F8000 and how to select HDMI (arc) on the BD/HT.


Hope this helps or someone with more specific knowledge of your equipment gives something more specific.


Finally, Netflix quality is frequently more of an issue with your internet connection than the equipment itself. If you aren't getting at least a 720P Netflix feed (hopefully 1080P), your video won't look that good. The "info" button on my F9000 remote provides the current HDMI input and resolution on the top of the screen. You can check that for the quality of your Netflix feed if the BD/HT isn't upconverting. If you are using the F8000 app, the "info" button should definitely provide incoming resolution.

My HT-C5500 BD player doesn't support ARC, so that forced me to use the optical output from the STB > BD player so I could enjoy 5.1 surround with both sources. I'll check the info button when I get home today, but this TV replaced a PN58C550 and Netflix was never an issue on that set.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellest  /t/1518501/netflix-issue#post_24373704


I initially connected the optical out from the TV to the input of the HT-C5500 Blu-Ray player, but apparently the TV is not capable of passing thru 5.1 surround sound, so i reverted to STB > BD player for optimal sound.

I'll check on the resolution when I get home today, but I'm pretty sure it was HD, (Expendables 2).

Were you getting the full bit rate for HD? Can your device tell you streaming speed? (There is also a test video available on Netflix for this)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1518501/netflix-issue#post_24373869


Were you getting the full bit rate for HD? Can your device tell you streaming speed? (There is also a test video available on Netflix for this)

I'll confirm when I get home today, but the BD player is using a wired ethernet connection to Comcast's highest speed internet.

What truly baffles me is Netfilx worked flawlessly on my PN58C550 with the identical setup. The only thing that changed is the HDMI cable; I needed to purchase a longer one because the TV connections we're on the opposite side of the old set.

I ruled the cable out as the culprit because Blu-Rays look great using the same cable; is my logic flawed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellest  /t/1518501/netflix-issue#post_24373704


I initially connected the optical out from the TV to the input of the HT-C5500 Blu-Ray player, but apparently the TV is not capable of passing thru 5.1 surround sound, so i reverted to STB > BD player for optimal sound.

I'll check on the resolution when I get home today, but I'm pretty sure it was HD, (Expendables 2).

Samsung advertises 5.1 optical digital output for both the F8000 and F9000. I originally had problems on my F9000 but discovered the solution. Go to audio setup and ensure you have selected Dolby Digital not LCPM. It won't output 5.1 on LCPM. If DD is "grayed out", ensure you have it on a DD source (e.g., Netflix movie).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb  /t/1518501/netflix-issue#post_24374027


Samsung advertises 5.1 optical digital output for both the F8000 and F9000. I originally had problems on my F9000 but discovered the solution. Go to audio setup and ensure you have selected Dolby Digital not LCPM. It won't output 5.1 on LCPM. If DD is "grayed out", ensure you have it on a DD source (e.g., Netflix movie).

My problem was the TV could not pass thru 5.1 from the STB; I read somewhere on these forums that it's a legal issue. So any 5.1 from the TV itself was fine, but when watching cable, which is 90% of the time, it got downgraded to 2.0...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,453 Posts
Quite a lot of tv's will not pass discrete 5.1 via optical when the source is external. They will if the source is the internal ATSC tuner or the SmartApps (if they allow it. Not all SmartApps do). ARC works for some but it too has it's issues. In fact, all ARC will do is eliminate the need to use an optical cable, and the audio is limited to 5.1 like optical, it won't pass HD audio (lossless). You're best bet is to run everything thru your C5500 is you have enough HMDI inputs and then an optical out from the tv to the C5500. That way all of your audio goes thru the C5500 and you're just passing video to the tv. If you choose to use the internal ATSC tuner or any of the SmartApps, then the audio from those will pass to the C5500 and you can listen to whatever format it's in up to 5.1.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,232 Posts
Well, if he really wants to enjoy that tv I think an upgrade is in order! A disc player with a built in amp is......wrong. Less wrong if it had some connectivity, but it doesn't have much at all. Then there's the speakers....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL, I hear ya guys! We bought a $4500 bed at the same time as the TV, a HT/Receiver upgrade will be next...

Thanks for the input!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1518501/netflix-issue/0_20#post_24374515


Well, if he really wants to enjoy that tv I think an upgrade is in order! A disc player with a built in amp is......wrong. Less wrong if it had some connectivity, but it doesn't have much at all. Then there's the speakers....

Agreed. Speakers are always an issue with HTiBs but you can get a good receiver and half-decent speakers for the budget minded and then upgrade the speakers once the budget allows you too. Good speakers can even make half decent receives sound great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts

To the quality issue with netflix on the player, My mother bought a Sony blu-ray player that supports 10/100/1000 mbps but even though are home network is 105mbps we would only see speeds of 4.2 mbps. even though my TV (Smart tv) could play 3D content with ease. So that could be a reason for thedisplay issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go figure, it was a loose ethernet connection at the router...

Ah well, I had my 15 minutes of fame lol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,315 Posts
Don't get too happy yet. Netflix is having lots of problems with streaming, increasing lately, due to bandwidth issues with the broadband providers it streams through. So, it can run well at some times, then run slowly at others. Expect irregularities, especially during "primetime". Best performance is middle of the night.


See this:
http://business.time.com/2014/02/19/netflix-verizon-peering/
 
  • Like
Reactions: bellest

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
you are absolutely correct regarding Netflix playback quality of late. I can easily get Super HD during the day, but during primetime hours I'm lucky if Netflix can manage 720. Often it drops down to 480. I've given Netflix supervisors quite a lambasting for not fixing this issue. I said to charge us more if that's what it takes to get the ISP's to play nice (ie, for netflix to throw money at them to make this problem disappear). How in the heck will we ever get 4K from Netflix if they cant even manage 1080 during primetime? Resolution suffers at night no matter what type of hardware I'm using--PS3's, computers. My connection always shows 16 ping 56Mbs day or night (Comcrap). This net neutrality ruling is likely not helping us consumers with this issue of low resolution playback of Netflix content. I'm pissed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Netflix only represtents ~20% of my overall viewing, and I'm usually in bed by 8:00PM CST; I guess I'm lucky regarding the prime-time bandwidth issue...
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top