AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get Netflix to display 4:3 content properly on the PS3. Playing back 4:3 content on a 16:9 TV, the PS3 stretches the content to fill the screen. The same content on the XBox is displayed properly in 4:3 pillar-boxed with black bars. When playing back the video, there are no 'stretch' options on the PS3 either. Am I missing something or is this a PS3 limitation?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You're missing something.

Seriously, this works just fine on my PS3 system (as it also does on my 360.) Unfortunately, I don't remember how/where I configured my PS3 so I can't be much more help than to tell you that it CAN work correctly.

You might also check the settings on your TV, if you're using separate inputs for your 360 and PS3. The TV's input for the PS3 may not be set to use a fullscreen mode (as opposed to a stretch mode) when playing 4:3 material.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both XBox and PS3 feed the same input on the TV via my Denon 3310. When receiving an HD input, my TV only has the options of 'normal' or 'zoom' (no 4:3 options).

I have the same issue with all video content on the PS3 (like 4:3 DVDs). The XBox has several video stretch/zoom modes available when playing back content, the PS3 has none. The only video options the PS3 lists in the video option menu during playback are related to color space.

If I am missing something, I need to know specifically where to look.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is the HDMI port the PS3 is running through set to passthrough? My PS works fine, and I don't recall having to set anything up... Though my LG TV does handle 4:3. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
4:3 content works fine on my PS3 / Netflix setup. I get a 4:3 native aspect ratio image, with black bars on the sides.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Don't know about Netflix (don't get it in Canada), but you probably have the DVD upscaler set to Full Screen.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru /forum/post/18267435

Don't know about Netflix (don't get it in Canada), but you probably have the DVD upscaler set to Full Screen.

DVD upscaler is set to 'normal'.

For the people with working 4:3 - can you give me an example movie/show I can look at to verify it is not a show specific issue?

I have seen a bunch of other posts online as well - and it appears that it either works or it doesn't - with no way to fix if it doesn't. Unlike the 360 that lets you change aspect/zoom options on the fly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts