AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When playing a Netflix movie on a Roku stick, the subtitles are simply huge and make the movie un-watchable. I've tried changing the settings on Roku (even though they say it doesn't affect Netflix), as well as the subtitle settings on Netflix website, but nothing works. Tried Roku's support and got nothing from them as well.

Any ideas on how to change the subtitle formats for Netflix?

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it is a personal preference, but I'm using the stick with a 55" Sony KDL55EX645.

The George Clooney picture is taken while playing the Netflix on Roku (sometimes the space between the paragraphs is even wider, covering almost half screen), while the Mad Men picture is from the another Netflix streamer with the same TV.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
View attachment 683841
Well, it is a personal preference, but I'm using the stick with a 55" Sony KDL55EX645.

The George Clooney picture is taken while playing the Netflix on Roku (sometimes the space between the paragraphs is even wider, covering almost half screen), while the Mad Men picture is from the another Netflix streamer with the same TV.
That's odd. The picture of the Roku, the font looks like the ''SMALL CAPITALS'' option under subtitle appearance while the 2nd pic's fonts looks like Proportional Sans Serif.

If you're game, you might want to try something before escalating directly to Netflix.
Delete the Netflix app from the Roku Streaming stick.
Go online to Netflix and under your account, deactivate all devices, which unlinks all of your devices from your account.
Go to the subtitle settings and apply the settings I use, shown in the attached photo. I use the 2nd font size (shown in the second photo), but you can try the smallest, which is the 1st selection.

Add the Netflix app back to the Streaming Stick.

See if the fonts are the same or not. If so, then you'll know (for sure) the stick is over riding your preferred settings, and can report that to Netflix.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a discussion with both Roku and Netflix, and it looks like there's no way to change the font size.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Interesting—that looks pretty big. And doesn't look like what I see with my stick. If that's the relative size I'd see on my projector, I wouldn't be too happy. I'll check mine out tonight and report back.
Guessing that you're not having this oversized font issue on your Roku stick? Odd that Netflix and Roku would tell yronnen there was there was no solution.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Guessing that you're not having this oversized font issue on your Roku stick? Odd that Netflix and Roku would tell yronnen there was there was no solution.
Very odd. Here's how they look on my Roku stick.

Edit: I just thought of something. I think Netflix subtitles might be coming through as Closed Captions. That is, you might be able to change it in your TV's settings for how CC renders. I'll check mine and see if that's the case.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found it. It's in the Roku's settings. Go to Home, then Settings -> Captions. I was able to change the font, font size, color, opacity of the window, etc. Below, I made it yellow, small (there's also an extra small), drop shadow to the left, and 25% opacity on the background.
Did the same, no change...that's odd.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I tried a number of movies last night. All worked as my last pic. I will note that when I first changed the appearance of the subtitles, it didn't take. When I highlighted the change I wanted to make, I had to click ok sometimes multiple times, and then some changes, like making the background completely transparent, I couldn't do at all—the best I could do was the 25% translucency in my last pic.

So although I could get it to change in my stick, it does appear to be buggy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried a number of movies last night. All worked as my last pic. I will note that when I first changed the appearance of the subtitles, it didn't take. When I highlighted the change I wanted to make, I had to click ok sometimes multiple times, and then some changes, like making the background completely transparent, I couldn't do at all—the best I could do was the 25% translucency in my last pic.

So although I could get it to change in my stick, it does appear to be buggy.
Nice...I like buggy software.

I'll try again and post my results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope, nothing works. Tried many configurations for the captions, but non reflect on the device.

I'm thinking of resetting to factory defaults, but I'm not sure what will it do to my subscription services and Plex (which I paid for).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts