AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will never watch if Hulu gets it because of ads. Since Netflix rather make more original content I hope Amazon Prime gets it. Right now Amazon is dropping Prime content left and right lately more then Netflix is.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read they are going off syndication. I just hope Hulu does not get it. I tried to watch a few old shows they have exclusively like Taxi (which I loved) but I was only able to get through a few episodes because they ads (worse PQ than the videos) and the same ones with 4 breaks I lost interest.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Netflix reportedly paid at least $500.000 per episode for Friends, a license lasting 4 years. Most articles I've read, infer Sony wants a bit more than that for Seinfeld which is why they bowed out of the bidding.
172 episodes at (more than) $500,000= (at least) 86,000.000+

The sale of the show's streaming rights, will not mean it gets taken away from tv stations or basic cable channels that currently license the reruns, or future sales in those 2 areas.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Former Netflix employee here--no inside info; I left about 18 months ago.

Seinfeld is not nearly as good an investment for Netflix as Friends. While Friends is generally serial in nature while Seinfeld is more episodic. Serial content is much more valuable to Netflix as it's much more prone to "binge watching" which drives up usage. The company has some truly amazing analytics that guide these decisions; if they're bowing out on the bidding, they're doing it because they know the content isn't worth the asking price (exactly what happened when they let both their Viacom and Starz deals expire).

Reactions: Nugget and DDarroch

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
My guess is if Sony doesn't get the figure they are looking for they will keep the series and run it on their own Crackle site. Networks hopefully have learned from USA network overpaying for the rights to Modern Family re-runs. With all the Seinfeld episodes in syndication no responsible streaming service should touch them, it's just too expensive for what they are getting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The episodes of Seinfeld on crackle are okay, but they only have 10 episodes available at any one time. They are in HD (720p max; 960x720) with aac 2.0 audio, but they are in the original 4:3 ratio - not the remastered widescreen. They are easy enough to download on crackle (in order to avoid the ads), so I've done it that way for about 100 episodes or so.

But I'd really prefer widescreen. Although if you prefer the original ratio, I haven't seen 4:3 720p anywhere else besides crackle. Sony wants to make big fast money, which can't be done with the janky ads on crackle. They'll go to Amazon or Hulu, my guess is that parting with that much cash will be easier for Amazon.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
The episodes of Seinfeld on crackle are okay, but they only have 10 episodes available at any one time. They are in HD (720p max; 960x720) with aac 2.0 audio, but they are in the original 4:3 ratio - not the remastered widescreen. They are easy enough to download on crackle (in order to avoid the ads), so I've done it that way for about 100 episodes or so.

But I'd really prefer widescreen. Although if you prefer the original ratio, I haven't seen 4:3 720p anywhere else besides crackle. Sony wants to make big fast money, which can't be done with the janky ads on crackle. They'll go to Amazon or Hulu, my guess is that parting with that much cash will be easier for Amazon.
Amazon won't pay that, people with Prime would rather Amazon put their money elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I reallly hope Hulu don't get it unless they plan on showing it in 16:9 HD and ad free. Hulu is grabbing shows exclusively which ticks me off everytime just because they ruin the mood of the show with bad quality ads. I maybe watch it once or twice a month when I network show I watch messes up the recording. Also I am not paying for Hulu Plus I have it free using Bing points until February 2016.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Former Netflix employee here--no inside info; I left about 18 months ago.

Seinfeld is not nearly as good an investment for Netflix as Friends. While Friends is generally serial in nature while Seinfeld is more episodic. Serial content is much more valuable to Netflix as it's much more prone to "binge watching" which drives up usage. The company has some truly amazing analytics that guide these decisions; if they're bowing out on the bidding, they're doing it because they know the content isn't worth the asking price (exactly what happened when they let both their Viacom and Starz deals expire).
What a bunch of BS. Really. I don't binge watch anything but I still have to deal with forced shrink credits the size of a postage stamp even though I turn off playing the next episode. I guess they rather make more original programming. Too bad it is not so PG rating like Seinfeld is. Most original is MA rated which I avoid as I still like my shows I watch without constant sex and swearing thank you. Still getting Friends is a big thing but to to say it is more "binge" like is not true. I bet you Seinfeld is just as much "binge" like and it would drive up usage.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
What a bunch of BS. Really. I don't binge watch anything but I still have to deal with forced shrink credits the size of a postage stamp even though I turn off playing the next episode. I guess they rather make more original programming.
Originals are just another way to have exclusives. As to your credits issue, that sounds like it might be a bug on the device you're using. Again, I don't work there anymore; so, I don't know for sure.

Too bad it is not so PG rating like Seinfeld is. Most original is MA rated which I avoid as I still like my shows I watch without constant sex and swearing thank you. Still getting Friends is a big thing but to to say it is more "binge" like is not true. I bet you Seinfeld is just as much "binge" like and it would drive up usage.
You are giving your opinion based on your own viewing. On the other hand, I have seen (and studied) data covering literally millions of viewers watching tens-of-millions of television episodes on Netflix. Serialized content like "Friends" or "Lost" or "How I Met Your Mother" (all satisfying your "without constant sex and swearing" requirement) do far better on Netflix than episodic content like "Seinfeld." That serialized content is far more prone to "binge watching" is absolutely true--even if that doesn't align with your personal preferences.

Reactions: Tulpa

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I rewatched Lost on Netflix and finished it in January I never really binged watch episode. At most I watched 2 episodes in a row more often but no more than that mostly it was just one episode a night. I kind of agree thought well with Lost to binge watch as it continues a story but Friends and How I met your mother which are comedies I don't see as many of those are stand alone episodes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.