AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Well, at first that perturbed me. But after reading the article I found that after raising the price by $1 a month, you can have 2 DVDs out instead of just one (if it's not a typo). The article mentions the higher price being a push to move users to stream only, but if they are going to double how many I can have on-hand for just a dollar more, I don't see how that can be.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Netflix is still a good option for physical media rental, IF they will improve availability.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19529830

Well, at first that perturbed me. But after reading the article I found that after raising the price by $1 a month, you can have 2 DVDs out instead of just one (if it's not a typo). The article mentions the higher price being a push to move users to stream only, but if they are going to double how many I can have on-hand for just a dollar more, I don't see how that can be.

I believe that is incorrect. The 1 dvd and 2 dvd plans remain, and each is going to be raised by 1 dollar. That means that for the 2 dvd plan it is only a 50 cent increase per dvd. However going from the 1 dvd plan to the 2 dvd plan is still the same price difference as before.

I am not surprised at all to see this, Netflix has made no secret that their focus will be their streaming service. I would not be surprised in the long term to see them become a completely streaming service.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19530104

Me either, but even though I have been happy with the selection, it needs to get better before DVDs can go away completely.

Streaming is convenient, but at its best matches DVD quality picture. Sound is stuck in stereo, and "HD" Netflix is still horribly compressed. I think the blu-ray rentals will be around for a while unless U.S. customers start getting 30Mbps+ internet connections.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I have 2 PS3s so I have the ability to watch 1080p and have 5.1 audio. Also, I just completed my CAT6 wiring this weekend and hoping my framerate will have increased compared to being on 802.11g. Right now I'm on 15mbps, but about to upgrade to 30.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just looked at my Netflix Account on the website, and it seems my subscription will go up $3 per month. I have the 3-at-a-time plan, so it looks like it might go up a dollar per disk you can have at a time. That means it could get expensive with the higher plans (the article says up to $8 per month). I gues that is one way to push people into smaller plans that utilize streaming more.

I am probably going to drop 1 tier and go to the 2-at-a-time plan. I am happy to stream content, but there is still a lot of stuff that I can't get through streaming yet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Netflix is not hurting in terms of revenue, they are starting to get greedy.

They didn't have to increase the disc prices just to add a streaming only option. Its BS, i hope everyone downgrades their memberships, this way Netflix will actually make less money due to this move. I know thats what i am going to do to offset the price increase.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Even with a slight increase, Netflix is a screaming deal. I hate going out to a movie, and I hate the cost of doing so even more, especially when you have a kid in tow.

I for one can't complain.....yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I upgraded to Blu-ray as soon as Netflix offered it and haven't received a DVD since (except for the occasional documentary that is DVD only). I am happy with Netflix Blu-ray availability (average 12 BR movies in queue and haven't had to wait for any).

However, Netflix has a _ways_ to go before they can become "streaming only". My family watches _maybe_ one Watch Instantly movie a month. Watch Instantly is kind of sad, NOT close to HD quality, and limited availability (no recent movies and movies which unexpectedly leave). I average 12 movies in my DVD/Blu-ray queue and have never had one show up as "Play" (available for streaming). Also, a while back a friend mentioned that they had never seen WarGames, so I added it to my Watch Instantly queue for the next time they stopped over, when they finally stopped by, we went to watch it and the movie was in the "Saved Instant" queue and no longer available on Watch Instantly - so much for Netflix Watch Instanly "streaming". Hopefully they will use all those $M they will profit from this recent price increase to fix the Netflix streaming issues (i.e. get some recent movies and buy a few more hard disk drives to store Watch Instantly movies on
).

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetoney /forum/post/0

I just wish they would have new blurays a bit faster

Even worse when we already pay a $4 Bluray premium and we are forced to wait 28 days for new releases.

I also dropped from 3 to 2, but I was going to anyways. I know this is the 2nd increase I've seen, plus the Bluray increase.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am not a fan of the $4 bluray premium. In fact, I wasn't aware of it until I looked at my account earlier today. I just thought the extra money I was paying for each month was some sort of tax or fee added into the price . . .

Anyway, with the fact that bluray is becoming the new standard, I guess it is probably best to add $4 to the the standard price as being the new "normal" price.

·
Registered
664 Posts
"Netflix has a _ways_ to go before they can become "streaming only""

It's not NefFlix that has to go there. It's the movie studios that have to allow NFLX to take their BD, compress them/re-mux, and then allow me to download that file for playback in my home. The technology is there today, the legal issues are what prevents this (also, there's an issue for those with capped bandwidth, but that's not really NFLXs fault).

I can give you a 1080P/HD sound MKV from a BD today; there's not a "ways to go" technically. It's all legality that prevents this from working how it should.

I know this sounds crazy. As crazy as storing 30GB uncompressed BD rips 3 years ago.. How many on this forum today are ripping BD and storing them locally? I'd wager a guess about 100X more than 3 years ago!

Think Vudu's model, just queue up stuff on NFLX, and, in the background, it will download the full quality rip of the movie. That's where this is going; I think they are a leader in this space; but, for those of us who are "into" movies; a downgrade in quality is simply not going to fly.

However, much like SACD/DVDA, we may be looking at the format (BluRay) that gets killed by convenience (much like MP3, a lower quality format, killed CDs). How many people can see/hear the difference between a 1080P MKV (10G) and a full BD rip (25-30G)?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Is they were streaming a compressed 10-12GB MKV with DTS sound that would be great, but we are looking at Youtube HD PQ and 10 years old DD sound, and anybody with normal vision and sound can see/hear the difference between a 10-14GB compressed movie and what Netflix offeres. Same goes for the stuff on Amazon and iTunes, i have a couple of TV shows from iTunes and they look like upscaled DVDs.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't live *that* far in the boonies (5 miles to an Interstate and shopping) but I can't get Cable or DSL. I survive on Virgin Mobile 3G. "Streaming Only" in a horrible phrase for me to hear.

P

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
FYI - Unless you watch a lot of movies each month where NetFlix becomes dirt cheap per disc, you might want to consider RedBox. They have Blu-Ray rentals for only $1.50 per night, the kiosks are all over the place, and you can reserve the discs online. The only advantage NetFlix has is that they have a huge library of discs to choose from.

For new releases, RedBox tends to be a better deal. There's usually no waiting period as with NetFlix. I'm not talking about the 28-day delay imposed by certain studios, but the long waiting list you could find yourself placed on if you don't get the disc when it first comes out. I've only used RedBox on one or two occasions so far, but I'm leaning towards more frequent visits for new releases and dropping my NetFlix plan back to one at a time for more obscure titles.

BTW, streaming sucks royally when compared to Blu-Ray. I just don't see the point in streaming video if you own a Hi-Def TV and a high end sound system. It just seems counterproductive to what you're trying to achieve. If you're happy with streaming quality then you could have kept your Bose sound system and 32" SDTV and saved a bundle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts