AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a note that I added Arrested Development to my Instant Queue. Instead of showing stars for the rating, it has bananas!!

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Your may overestimate the intersection of Netflix subs and Arrested Development fans
. I predict that Netflix users overall will not notice any affect.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G  /t/1466775/netflix-streaming-will-crash-on-may-26/0_50#post_23314589

Arrested what?

That's a good one!

Ian

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Actually the 26th was a good idea for the debut because it's a vacation weekend so many won't be watching TV let alone NF. And they won't be up against some ongoing series or series debut. Most series have completed and new ones debut the following week.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland  /t/1466775/netflix-streaming-will-crash-on-may-26#post_23348870

IIRC, Arrested Development was caned by FOX because of LOW ratings so I seriously doubt much viewing except by the cult following.

The low ratings for Fox were still a lot of viewers and could still mean a lot of people streaming new episodes from Netflix at the same time.

That said I saw no problems when they released House of Cards - generally Netflix has been very reliable for us on Comcast 16 Mbps.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63  /t/1466775/netflix-streaming-will-crash-on-may-26/0_100#post_23353260

Fox also canned Family Guy and Futurama. Both have come roaring back.

I don't know that Futurama can be said to have come "roaring" back, having been reincarnated as a cable network show, but Family Guy regained its original position. I love both shows. I believe they were both revived based on disc sales.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, Family Guy's strength was on DVD sales. Most people missed it when it first aired and picked it up when it hit disc, and got hooked. To be honest, I preferred Family Guy's first few seasons before it went on hiatus.

Futurama's situation was more erratic on Fox. It was constantly preempted and no one had a clue when new episodes would air after the first two or three seasons. It was picked up by Comedy Central five years later(!) where it is still there today, but I can't say it's burning up ratings.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Futurama Season 10 will start on the 19th of next month, so it must be performing well enough (versus its cost) for Comedy.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not just DVD sales, but Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block that helped revive both Family Guy and Futurama. For Futurama, it's just that Viacom outbid Turner for the rights to new episodes after the DVD 'movies' sold well.

But, for a live action show, you also have to get all the actors together, which can be difficult. For animation, they can do the voices anytime and most anywhere.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Did you watch ALL the new episodes?

I saw the listing in new releases but when selected it only showed the 15 of the first season. BUT, if you selected the first episode, the pilot, you could select All Seasons then the new episodes were available. At least that was how it worked on my BD player's funky app.

I watched the pilot but not sure this is a show I would be that interested in.

·
Registered
15,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad  /t/1466775/netflix-streaming-will-crash-on-may-26#post_23361279

Don't judge by the pilot. It gets a lot better. The jokes are a mile a minute and have many levels. You really have to pay very close attention to get everything. But when you do it's great.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad  /t/1466775/netflix-streaming-will-crash-on-may-26#post_23361279

Did you watch ALL the new episodes?

I saw the listing in new releases but when selected it only showed the 15 of the first season. BUT, if you selected the first episode, the pilot, you could select All Seasons then the new episodes were available. At least that was how it worked on my BD player's funky app.

No I didn't watch that show at all. Not big on sitcoms.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1466775/netflix-streaming-will-crash-on-may-26#post_23362549

Don't judge by the pilot. It gets a lot better. The jokes are a mile a minute and have many levels. You really have to pay very close attention to get everything. But when you do it's great.
I watched some episodes a few years ago since I knew one of the editors on the series. For some reason just wasn't my cuppa tea.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts