AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NetFlix told investors yesterday that the company would not only be reversing the price increase they instituted this summer, but would cut prices even further in the wake of new competition coming from Amazon.com.

Effective November 1st, NetFlix will offer its three-out plan for $17.99 per month, a reduction from $21.99 (and their earlier $19.95 rate). Their stock price took an immediate hit, but it will be a hot deal for NetFlix customers.

Interestingly, NetFlix made the decision not based on recent competition from Blockbuster, but because of fears that Amazon.com could become a category killer and cause major losses for the company. Amazon has refused to comment specifically on their rumored DVD rental service offering, but insiders say the online book, music and video powerhouse will introduce its service in time for the Christmas shopping season at a predicted price of around $18-19 a month. DVDs would be mailed from Amazon's national network of distributor warehouses, perhaps giving NetFlix's regional model a run for its money.

Also a related USA today story
USA today Story

·
Registered
680 Posts
I wonder if this means we're going to see even more shipping and receiving complaints from Netflix customers. I was going to dump Netflix for Walmart, but with this price drop, I may reconsider.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If they lower price to 17.99$ I may leave Walmart and come back to them. Walmart is around 23$ for 4-dvd-plan, but Netflix has 10,000 more movies. Amazon would be a very exciting player, because Amazon probably has more movies than Netflix and Walmart taken together....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You can get the 3-out unlimited plan for $15.99 today if you delete all your Netflix cookies, clear your browser history, and visit Netflix's site cold (type it into your web browser- don't follow a link). If you see a higher price than $15.99 (for example $17.99, $19.99 or $21.99), keep trying. They are doing some sort of rotating promotion.

You might need to try this multiple times before you finally get the $15.99 offer. Also pay close attention to the terms offered-- sometimes the $15.99 and $17.99 offers are unlimited, other times they have a max of 10 or 16 DVDs/month. Keep trying and you might hit the jackpot of $15.99 unlimited.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Mark, is this 15.99$ their introductory plan, the "first-three-months" plan, or a long term plan? Also is it available to ex-members, or only new members?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I didn't go past the page and actually sign up yet. I was just researching what current offers were available and stumbled upon this page and its ever-changing terms. I don't see anything indicating that these are promotional / limited-time rates.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If Amazon starts it I may consider. They have a distribution center about 45 minutes away from me. Besides I need to do something. The price of rentals in my local B&M is getting out of hand. And they have no kind of specials. I find myself not watching alot of movies I'd like to see just because of rental prices and hassle. And I really need to slack off on buying too.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Rental prices are crazy, blockbaster almost 5$ a movie! You can buy a dvd for 3 times as much.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
At those prices getting more than 3 per week will be luck. I settled for

the moviepass from the local Blockbuster. It's 24.95 for two out, but I

have got $120.00 worth of rentals for $14.95 for the first month.

The best thing is having something for the weekend. With Netflix if you

don't get the new releases first thing you end up in long wait hell and

never have anything good to watch on Friday or Saturday night.

b2b

·
Banned
45 Posts
I wouldn't touch amazon.com for they openly allow resellers sell bootlegs in just about every category you can name. I cancelled my account with them when some reseller sent me a bogus "The Day After Tomorrow". I again called their toll free line but they said they can not be responsible for all resellers my thoughts Balogna(Balonie).

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by b2bonez
At those prices getting more than 3 per week will be luck. I settled for

the moviepass from the local Blockbuster. It's 24.95 for two out, but I

have got $120.00 worth of rentals for $14.95 for the first month.

b2b
Agreed b2b, the moviepass offers the best service for those having a nearby BB. I can't see myself going back to NetFlix even at lower prices. The 'Long Wait Status' was driving me insane. On my way from work, I usually pick up new releases from BB on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The lower price is great news. I recently tried to cancel Netflix, but was offered their 2 out/4 dvd per month plan for $12.99. I figured that's worth it, it's still cheaper than 4 DVDs from Blockbuster.

I'll up that to the 3 out/unlimited for $17.99 if it's true.

Also, Netflix has a distribution center in St. Louis, MO, so I always get my movies in 1 day.

Craig

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
if anyone is thinking of doing the same, i used a different email account and address for shipping.

a friend of mine tried to sign up after me, but used the same shipping resulting in no new service from netflix.

they didn't allow him to use the same email and when using the same ship to address(as the existing account), the new account did not take (even though the transaction completed-no charge to card either).

·
Registered
154 Posts
I cancelled my membership and signed back up, used a different email account, but the same address and even the same credit card. Just got my first batch today on the 15.99 plan, no problems.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I tried clearing browser history and cookies multiple times (closing the browser in between tries), but got nothing other than the $17.99 deal. I guess the promotion must be over.

For $15.99 I was just going to sign up and give it a run, but at $17.99 it still gives me pause. Just not sure that I would watch the 4 movies a month from Netflix to make it worth my while. Sure it's only $2, but it's enough to make me think about it.

Edit: I called twice and had to talk to a manager but I was able to get them to give me $15.99 for 6 months. They said that was the same deal that had been on the website. I decided to give it a shot and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The offer on the web site was not limited to six months (confirmed it just now, looking at my membership terms). But since they reserve the right to change their rates at any time (and also let you cancel at any time), nothing is guaranteed anyway...

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Quote:
The offer on the web site was not limited to six months
I assumed that was the case. I never trust a CSR :)

Still, 6 months is a while and the way I use Netflix I will probably get frustrated with it long before then as I like to have the particular movie I want to watch when I want to watch it, I don't like to watch something else in its place.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.