AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Netgear R7000 New FW 1.0.4.28 Released with ReadyCloud File Sharing

Netgear released a long awaited update to the R7000 Nighthawk Router. This release adds the re-engineered cloud file sharing capability. In past versions the cloud sharing was a limited stand alone application. Netgear has begun the integration of their ReadyNas software within their routers. This is the first release of that effort.

What is different now is a much more refined UI. Plus the router is now included along ReadyNAS servers in one common environment. This makes for a very seamless environment if you are a ReadyNAS user as well.

ReadyCloud is a very nice DropBox like offering that has unlimited storage capability. Plus the IOS and Andriod apps are very competent. They can playback most media files, have auto backup for Photos and a number of other features that are easy to use. Plus its all free and included with the cost of your device.

There were also some bug fixes too.
Fixes the iTunes Server compatibility issue with iTunes 12.1.
Fixes the SOAP API security flaw.
Fixes the issue in which the Internet connection drops frequently if the DHCP server offers a short term lease time.

I really like this update. Netgear will continue rolling out enhancements for the entire Nighthawk line over the next several months.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor

Attachments

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hmm I'll have to check this out tomorrow when I get home.

I'd be interested to know if this FW update has any enhanced mechanism for magic packets from remote sources. In other words, my server needs to be awakened when it receives a magic packet, however, I haven't figured out how to implement this (likely due to the router).

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah stock firmware doesn't support Wake On Lan(WOL)...you need to switch to a third party firmware like DD-WRT, Tomato, or Asuswrt-Merlin in order to get WOL.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
How does the router block this? My old WNDR3800 certainly allows WOL magic packets to wake my Win7 pc through wi-fi from by Android phone. Just chiming in...interested to see what has changed and where the block is taking place.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Ah, I see. Cool beans then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts