AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to let everyone know about a great new product from Netgear. The WN2000RPT Universal Range Extender. This is a universal wifi range extender that works with with 802.11 b, 802.11g and 802.11n networks. What make this unit unique is it also includes 4 port Ethernet ports. So that not only can it extend your wifi reach it also can connect 4 additional Ethernet based devices to the internet and your network.

I have been using the unit for a few weeks now. The setup was easy and the performance is great. Most important is that it has a great radio section. Receives a relatively weak signal and locks in for a stable internet connection.

I am using it with the Ethernet ports to add some additional devices in a room on the far end of my house. Was a real problem solver. Unit sells for $79.

Bob Silver

Netgear AV Consultant

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
So does it act like a wireless access point in addition to offering 4 RJ45 ports?

And just for clarity, it connects to your network wirelessly? So it is basically like a glorified repeater to extend your wireless network without needing a wired connection to the device?

-Suntan

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver /forum/post/19589187

I wanted to let everyone know about a great new product from Netgear. The WN2000RPT Universal Range Extender. This is a universal wifi range extender that works with with 802.11 b, 802.11g and 802.11n networks. What make this unit unique is it also includes 4 port Ethernet ports. So that not only can it extend your wifi reach it also can connect 4 additional Ethernet based devices to the internet and your network.

I have been using the unit for a few weeks now. The setup was easy and the performance is great. Most important is that it has a great radio section. Receives a relatively weak signal and locks in for a stable internet connection.

I am using it with the Ethernet ports to add some additional devices in a room on the far end of my house. Was a real problem solver. Unit sells for $79.

Bob Silver

Netgear AV Consultant

Question, an Amazon reviewer posted this:

Quote:
Only suprise was that it didn't "extend" my network like my brain would think. Instead of picking up a weak signal, strengthening and broadcasting, it acutally broadcasts as another SSI

Is that true, the extender needs its own SSID? That would be a drawback if true. I use the Dlink AP and the ability to keep the same SSID across multiple APs is a big plus

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/0

Question, an Amazon reviewer posted this:

Is that true, the extender needs its own SSID? That would be a drawback if true. I use the Dlink AP and the ability to keep the same SSID across multiple APs is a big plus

The setup suggests using a separate ssid. The reason is to prevent interference from the primary ssid. I set it up that way. But you can change the ssid to whatever you want.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my summer vilage, there are free public wifi. They have wifi spots all over the village. The prob is that the house is made of brick. and there is no signal inside the house. Only near (very near) the window.

Do you think this device could be used to extend the signal to inside the house?

PS1: I don't have any control of the outside wifi.

PS2: I don't have any problem of having another SSID.

Thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedless /forum/post/0

In my summer vilage, there are free public wifi. They have wifi spots all over the village. The prob is that the house is made of brick. and there is no signal inside the house. Only near (very near) the window.

Do you think this device could be used to extend the signal to inside the house?

PS1: I don't have any control of the outside wifi.

PS2: I don't have any problem of having another SSID.

Thanks

I am assuming your public wifi has no security. Even so I am not certain it will work. Interesting application.

It all will depend on the setup. When you get the extender you will need to be sure it can see your public wifi. It will need to be placed where it can get a good signal. Then you need to set it up so it knows to repeat that signal. This is done through it's web interface. Bottom line is you are going to have to try it to see if itwill work. Good luck and let us know.

Bob Silver

Netgear AV Consultant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts