AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I want to make a system with a touch screen and my htpc with ir send/ receive. Before I get started i was thinking why not use the integreted "remote desktop" in XP? Will I get the same features this way or am I missing something?

· Registered
2,768 Posts
What graphical front end were you planning on using for XP? Remote desktop is great, but unless you have a nice front end to connect to, I don't think you will be happy. Check out some screenshots from Netremote, that makes it stand apart from other XP applicatoins. Drew

· Registered
996 Posts
Also with remote desktop, the main screen will not function, so it will not be very useful for DVD or TV viewing. Also, the programs will appear to be running on the remote computer, not on the HTPC, so for example trying to control an MP3 jukebox from remote desktop, the sound will not play from the HTPC but rather the remote computer.

· Registered
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by olyar15
Also with remote desktop, the main screen will not function, so it will not be very useful for DVD or TV viewing. Also, the programs will appear to be running on the remote computer, not on the HTPC, so for example trying to control an MP3 jukebox from remote desktop, the sound will not play from the HTPC but rather the remote computer.
That is not correct. If you play music, it will come out of the htpc. I have done this many times.

If you try and play video, it does not work. The video will come out of the remote pc, but the audio may try and come out of the htpc.

Another cool thing to note, is that remote desktop is basically just terminal services. So you can use any remote pc, tablet, pocket pc, that has terminal services on it, if your htpc is running remote desktop. I have used a Dell Axim and it is pretty cool.

But, it does lock you out of the htpc. This may be very bad, depending on what you are using it for. I believe that MS is supposed to fix this, as it is a major problem for people who are use the new wireless displays (mira).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.