1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
288 Posts
I hate netscape. I design any all my webpages looking at IE, and then Netscape buggers em all up! Doesn't seem to display tables the same way at all, I would have thought that, that sort of stuff would be standard by now!!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Electronic Punk
I hate netscape. I design any all my webpages looking at IE, and then Netscape buggers em all up! Doesn't seem to display tables the same way at all, I would have thought that, that sort of stuff would be standard by now!!!
Actually, it is Microsoft that does not comply to standards and are constantly trying to set their own proprietary standard. They tried to do the same thing with Java and Kerberos and many other specifications. I'm sure that Netscape is much more compliant to W3C standards than IE.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The problem is not Netscape, Opera or Lynx. The problem is Microsoft products and other Web page editors not adhearing to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) standard. Opera is one of the most compliant browesers out there. Netscape is suppose to be very compliant also. You can check the compliance of your web pages with the standards at: http://validator.w3.org/ . Check out any web pages composed with MS editors with this validator and you will see that very few are compliant. This is typical MS operations, Embrace the standard, Extend the standard via propriatary non-compliant software, so that they own the market. Although I understand that may of the non-compliant feature are very good.

I tried Netscape 6.0 and 6.1 and found them to be unstable. Opera on the other hand is very good, and I like a lot of the features. Opera is also very fast on most pages. The only problem I have had with Opera is non-standard compliant web pages and some, I think, java problems. I haven't tried IE 6 yet.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
It's 'funny' how almost every page that caused problems in Netscape 4.x had logos saying "created with Front Page"... Naw, Microsoft wouldn't steer their users into wizards that did that, would they? :)

If you prefer to download the entire Netscape setup as one big file rather than use their setup that does its own (multiple) FTP downloads, go to ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/6.2/windows/win32/sea and download 'n6setupb.exe'.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Vasim: I think NS 6.2 is the same as Mozilla 0.94. However, you might as well download 0.95

Good luck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was gonna get my site certified by that validator but it is so petty!

Moans about invalid character in COLOR=#

Did find a daft mistake for me tho ;)

WICTH should have been WIDTH in one of my tables.

Apart from that, I guess I will have to be uncertified because some of my advertising is "bad code" too.

·
Registered
288 Posts

According to the verifier above, that line has an error.

No type defined !!?

·
Registered
402 Posts
As I see it, the problem is that the browsers, editors, and webmasters have all forgotten that HTML isn't supposed to be a layout language - it's used to share information. You can make it look prettier by using 1 pixel gifs, non-standard frames, nested tables, and a whole host of bug-exploiting tricks, or you can stick to the standards and let the website visitor decide how he wants to see it. And don't get me started on fonts!!!

PS - just for grins, open up MS word, type "Hello World" and save the page as HTML. How big is the resulting file?

·
Registered
288 Posts
4k ???

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can't be bothered to count how many lines of crap it added tho ;)

·
Registered
4,183 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:
Actually, it is Microsoft that does not comply to standards and are constantly trying to set their own proprietary standard. They tried to do the same thing with Java and Kerberos and many other specifications. I'm sure that Netscape is much more compliant to W3C standards than IE.
This seems funny to me considering how we used to rip Netscape for their proprietary extensions. Anyone remember ? :)

I think the real answer is that we all really want these companies to continue to innovate beyond the standards but then go back and clean up a bit better than they have been doing. And I won't pick on either major browser - they both have some standards compliance issues.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are there ever any pages that work in Netscape, but then suck in Internet Explorer ???

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Electronic Punk
Are there ever any pages that work in Netscape, but then suck in Internet Explorer ???
My company's intranet is a mess when accessed through IE. At least with IE on a pc you can still use it after you figure out what does and doesn't work, but on the Mac - forget about it, the site is 80% unusable with IE.

(I don't blame this on MS, but on whoever hitched our wagon to Netscape years ago and then never bothered to fix/update anything).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.