AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing came up in any searches, I imagine this is common sense for techies out there - the way its looking, I'm going to need to run maybe 50 ft. or more network cable to my 5040. Is this a bad thing? Signals getting confused, etc. I just bought a Linksys router, but should I have gone with the wireless instead? Or is it really not gonna be a problem... I'm hoping to play with all the DVArchive stuff, so streaming and sharing from PC to 5040 are things I'm concerned about...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I've used a 100 foot cable with my linksys router and ReplayTV 5XXX units before. I didn't experience problems. Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think the maximum length of an ethernet run is somethink like 100 meters. 100ft is certainly within that limit, just make sure you have good quality cable.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Per IEEE 802.3 the max length is 100m... which is well within what we are discussing.

You are much more likely to have problems with your terminators than with the cable!

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I will chime in however that Replays don't seem to dig longer cable runs without something (hub, switch, etc;) between them and the source. My 18meter run tested fine on my cable testers, was fully usable by my laptop, but did not cause the Replay to even see a valid link. Stuck a simple hub inline with a 3' patch cable to the Replay, and voila. Regardless of the 802.3 standard, there's something fishy with the Replay NIC. And I am far from the only one who has seen this :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.